Google maps and Garmin GPS for motorcycle touring

Bike
2003 ST1300
Being low on the high tech front, my go to for customized rides is MS Streets and Maps. While looking at a map, you click and drag the points of the actual route YOU want, then you name it and save it to your GPS. On Garmin, it loads it into data and from there you send it internally to Favorites. Its really simple and allows you to see every bit of the route.

Bike
1998 ST1100A
Good question -- In the past I've used special GPS software to load routes into my Magellan GPS for off-road riding where there are no maps for traditional GPS units. I've not seen a way to do this from Google Maps for an entire route but I bet someone has figured out a way to make it work.

I love my Android smartphone though as all I have to do is open Google Maps and access "My places" and there is my entire route along with hotels, places to eat, all kinds of stuff. You can easily navigate to any of the sites using Navigator. With smartphone navigation being so good, I'm thinking companies that make consumer GPS units are going to be in trouble. Here's my route from Nashville to Portland. http://goo.gl/maps/wrHjh

The one HUGE advantage a traditional GPS has is that it works without a data connection to the Internet. Smartphones need data to work. (Though on my new phone Google Maps has a feature called, make available offline.)

;-)
The most recent version of Google maps (July 2015) no longer lets you save a route, i.e. they released the beta without transferring old features. There was an option to return to the older version, though. The point about internet connection is a good one, and the reason to have a dedicated GPS. Cell phones don't work where we need them most.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
This site lets you create whatever route you want, save it and then export it to a variety of GSP file types... Motogoloco.com

Bike
2004 ST1300
This site lets you create whatever route you want, save it and then export it to a variety of GSP file types... Motogoloco.com
Thank you for mentioning this site. I checked it out and it does exactly what I'd hoped Garmin Basecamp would do, but doesn't very well. Give it a starting point and an ending point, and then drag the route around until you're satisfied with the results. I've drove about 800 miles worth of routes this week created using the site without any issues. Works great with my Garmin 590. Thanks again.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Most GPS's will find places (motels, gas, etc.) without the need to use a computer at all.

If I'm using the PC (usually to build a longer or complex route) I just use Streets & Trips. It also shows all of the popular locations (gas, lodging, food) and I can export the route directly to the GPS without any conversions needed. I can build a route and have it on my GPS in well under 60 seconds.

I've found the newest Google maps to be very difficult to use. I can't get a multi-point route made, and forget trying to get it onto a device. I wish MS came out with a newer S&T instead of discontinuing it, but it is still far better than Basecamp, and much easier to use than the newest Google Maps.

Hi all,

This is my first real post here but I came across this thread while trying to find a way to get directions out of Google Maps and onto my Garmin device easily.

This thread has a lot of good suggestions but none really suited me (looking for something quick and free) and apparently after the latest Google Map upgrade most of the existing tools were rendered defunct (no more classic maps).

So I spent a little while writing a simple tool for myself to convert the directions information from the new Google Maps version directly into a GPX format.

I thought I'd share the tool with this community as some of you might find it useful. Below is the link:

http://labs.coruscantconsulting.co.uk/garmin/gpxgmap/convert.php

It is quite a simple tool and by pasting the link to your pre-planned route it gives you a GPX file with either route- or trackpoints, optional elevation information, turn-by-turn description and an experimental "next turn" short info as well (for those of you with limited wearables).

It still has some rough edges and should be considered in a "beta" state but I figured it might have some value for you here.

There are links at the bottom of the page if you want some further information and my email if you want to get in contact with me directly (otherwise this forum is a good place as well).

Cheers
Sverrir S.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks for that! Looking forward to trying it out. ;)

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
It takes a bit of practice with Google Maps but I now have only minor detail issues importing KML files into and exporting KML files out of BaseCamp. Routing remains unchanged between them, just descriptions change. I'm able to plan most any route with Google. Loops in Google remain an issue though, doesn't like starting and ending from the same point. Importing a loop into Google Maps from BaseCamp works fine.

I've saved many routes from google maps. Here's one: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zrjh8XXZYffg.kL_9kjhcID7M&usp=sharing

Last edited:
Bike
2015 Honda VFR ABS
STOC #
It takes a bit of practice with Google Maps but I now have only minor detail issues importing KML files into and exporting KML files out of BaseCamp.
With the latest updates to Google Maps, I can't see how to export a KML file from it any longer?

OP
OP
pnelson
Bike
Supere Tenere
The key is those three dots which lead to the menu in "My Maps." From there you can export your route to a *.kml file which can be opened in BaseCamp and many other mapping programs, including Google Earth.

I still miss the send to GPS feature but I'm thinking that Google sees Garmin as a competitor in the navigation market and that's why the feature was removed from maps.

Bike
2015 Honda VFR ABS
STOC #
The key is those three dots which lead to the menu in "My Maps." From there you can export your route to a *.kml file which can be opened in BaseCamp and many other mapping programs, including Google Earth.
My bad - the Export to KML option is there, except not when your in the iOS Safari browser. :eek::

Bike
2015 Honda VFR ABS
STOC #
I still miss the send to GPS feature but I'm thinking that Google sees Garmin as a competitor in the navigation market and that's why the feature was removed from maps.
What I don't understand is why doesn't Google show the maps you created in Google Maps Desktop, and allow those to be visible in Google Maps Mobile for routing from the mobile app?

Top Bottom