TPMS - Which One??

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
You may want to wait a bit to make your choice. I just received an email tonight that I will be receiving a replacement unit for my faulty Orange TPMS.
They are sending me a totally new and improved unit along with 2 new tire sensors.
You can't beat that for service.
I have been really happy with this brand when it works.
The only way I have been able to make this system work is turn the ignition key all the way to the right in the accessory position, wait 15 or so seconds until the unit reads both sensors.
If I just turn the key on, it's hit and miss if the sensors are going to transmit a signal to the receiver. I was thinking that there was something like radio interference placing havoc with them.
Also finding in the cold weather, my old system will not work properly.
Stayed tuned for an update once I get my new unit.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm watching with interest as well. I liked the looks and function of the Orange, until they had problems and the company was nowhere to be found. Now that they are stepping up to the plate, they are back on my possibility list. Doran is there as well.

I like something that will continually monitor my pressures. If I'm on a long ride I hate taking the time to check pressures at every gas stop- especially on an Iron Butt ride or a rally where the clock is ticking. Even just on a hard ride during a trip, where there are 250+ miles between stops, a lot can happen with a slow leak in that time.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
So far I guess it is just Orange and Doran to pick from. I checked another company, but they were out of business or there internet was not working. I too am having second thoughts on Orange, I don't like that a lot of problems with units and company disappeared and now I guess they are back???

MrB

Bike
2013 GL1800 F6B
STOC #
Total noob question: some cars use the ABS monitors to notice when one wheel rotates more on average than the others to indicate a low tire, anything like that for MC? Wouldn't have the valve stem issues that some do.
Not all MC tires are same front/back, but you could set it when the tires are inflated and it could monitor from that reference point.
Maybe have a tilt sensor to disregard rotations when the bike is in heavy turns.
Just thinking out loud. I'm new to this technology.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I have used for two years
Enhanced TireGard TPMS 2 Wheel + Trailer
byShow Chrome

I bought them at Wingstuff, and they still show them as $179 and available. Mine come up in the first 3 minutes or so, screw onto the valve ends, and have worked great. They do need the batteries changed about once a year. I believe they are an Austalian company called TyreGuard, which is imported as ShowChrome.

http://wingstuff.com/products/33044-enhanced-tiregard-tpms-2-wheel-trailer?from_search=1

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Total noob question: some cars use the ABS monitors to notice when one wheel rotates more on average than the others to indicate a low tire, anything like that for MC? Wouldn't have the valve stem issues that some do.
Not all MC tires are same front/back, but you could set it when the tires are inflated and it could monitor from that reference point.
Maybe have a tilt sensor to disregard rotations when the bike is in heavy turns.
Just thinking out loud. I'm new to this technology.
I believe you`re confusing tire rotation with ABS or Traction Control, which does sense difference in rotation. TPM systems have actual pressure sensors in the wheels (or in our case, on the valve stems either inside or outside), and transmit a radio signal to the display processing unit.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Actually there are cages that use just the ABS sensors to estimate tire pressure. They can't tell you exactly what pressures are in the tire, but they can read that a tire is significantly low because a low tire will rotate faster than a fully inflated tire. For a motorcycle I'd rather have a true pressure sensor, as just a few lbs loss can heat up a tire and damage it over a long distance. The ABS sensor type pretty much just lets you know you have a flat tire...a bit late to do much good. Keep in mind some cages can be difficult to tell you are driving on a tire with 8 lbs. of air, where a bike tire with 8 lbs. is usually quite obvious.

Jim

MrB

Bike
2013 GL1800 F6B
STOC #
Actually there are cages that use just the ABS sensors to estimate tire pressure. They can't tell you exactly what pressures are in the tire, but they can read that a tire is significantly low because a low tire will rotate faster than a fully inflated tire. For a motorcycle I'd rather have a true pressure sensor, as just a few lbs loss can heat up a tire and damage it over a long distance. The ABS sensor type pretty much just lets you know you have a flat tire...a bit late to do much good. Keep in mind some cages can be difficult to tell you are driving on a tire with 8 lbs. of air, where a bike tire with 8 lbs. is usually quite obvious.

Jim
Yep, that's what I was referring to. Again, just thinking out loud.
Glad to see Orange seems to be addressing some issues. Pretty neat technology as long as you can rely on it.
Just got my bike a month ago and I've got a PILE of farkles to put on this winter. TPMS is definitely something I'll be doing, just waiting for the unit that makes all of you go crazy.

STOC #
Just to clear up the facts on Orange.

The US Distributor which held the license for the US close up overnight and caused a lot of problems.
The manufacture sent people to the US to clean up the mess and are working to resolve the warranty issues.
There was a firmware update (perhaps to resolve the few units having issues) so the original version does not work with the new version. The original version is still supported and you can get sensors for the original version, but you need to have the serial number of the sensors.

As I was not about to tell my 1 customer (and me) that had trouble with the unit to pull the tires, get the serial number, mount the tires, wait for a replacement, pull the tires, replace the sensors, mount the tires. I demanded they send all new units to us. Joe was the only other one to have an issue and he decided to not have his unit replaced.

Therefore we worked it out so that the two that did have problems get new units. We just have to pay a deposit to insure we return the defective units.

Doran is a great unit, but does not offer temperature readings likes Orange does. Now there are some real good reasons to want to know temperature. Some have to do with racing, knowing if your tire is warm enough to handle the twisties or if you are overloading the bike. For most, the temperature is not that important. For me, its just another cool (or should I say HOT) feature and really helps when I an riding in the winter.

So for me (and I am biased because I sell these) I still like Orange and will be giving them another shot.

And for anyone else interested in trying them, I can offer another group buy if you want to try them.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Thanks for the clarification on Orange Larry. I am happy they stepped up to correct the problems with the original units and clean up the mess from the US distributor. I am leaning their way- I like the features and the look of the unit. Unfortunately we aren't in a position to purchase right now, otherwise we would be in for 2 units if there was another group buy.

I am also impressed with how you worked with your customers to get satisfaction from Orange.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I like the Orange display unit and knowing the temperature is a nice perk, though not really needed for my light riding. I wish Orange Electronics would hire a webmaster or copy writer who speaks English as their first language. The site is a bit rough.

A major point in favor of the Doran is the ability to *add* the sensor to an existing valve stem. This looks like I could install the right-angle valve stems and add TPMS sensor. I like that a lot! If Orange used or could be used with those valve stems, that would tip the scale.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I am getting ready to get either the Orange or Doran.....just wondering how the replacement products from Orange are holding up? Any issues?

sent from my Droid phone

Top Bottom