TPMS - Which One??

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
It's nice that there's choice again in the TPMS market place.

I'll stick with the Doran for now; it's saved me several times. The display only shows pressures, not temps, but . . . the real impact of increasing temp for me is the increase in pressure. It doesn't take long to know what the difference is between cold pressure (42/42) and riding pressure (generally 45/49 on the interstate). Then again, I'm not a racer where that info is probably vital.

After the bike sets for a week or so, I use the Kempo/Bones method of checking my tires and inflate to 42.5 lbs per tire then screw on the Doran sensors which . . . like when checking air pressure with a hand held gauge, lets out about a 1/2 pound of pressure each time you check. In my pre-TPMS days I finally realized that the air I was adding most of the time was replacing air lost during the checking. FWIW.

Another note for those using or considering using the Doran system, the sensor batteries last about 2 years of use. If they're under pressure, they are ON. Thusly internal sensors last about . . . 2 years. If you have external sensors, you can just screw them off when not using the bike for an extended time and they'll be OFF.

Although I like the idea of the pop-up button valve stems, they're only good for checking when you're stopped and don't provide the beneficial warning while riding that you're losing air and any sense of how fast it's being lost . . . the true value of a TPMS system.

Looking forward to reading about your new set-up Steve and Larry's report on how well the new Orange equipment performs.

Shuey

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
You are right Shuey a choice is good. I hope this one is as good as it looks. I like the ease of battery replacement with the external sensors. I also like having the tire info displayed so I can see it. I will report back once it is installed. Can't wai to get home today to pull it out of the mail box. Tracking shows it is out for delivery by the USPS.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Well I got home and my package was in the mail box the sensors are programmed to the unit at the factory it ha a rechargeable battery and comes with the mini USB cable to charge it. I also ordered the hard wire kit. All I had to do was screw on the sensors which are the same size as the Dorans or any others I have seen. Then I turned on the unit and in a few seconds it was showing pressure and temp. Press the mode button and the back light turns on. The numbers are large and very easy to read overall I am very impressed with the service I got and the quality of the unit. I have to ask them if it is waterproof not sure it is. But I do have an Otter box this will fit right into. I am happy! I will hopefully be installing the hard wire kit this weekend. Pictures then.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Sent them an e-mail this morning to ask about the waterproof qualities. I have been reading the paperwork that came with it. So it supports several configurations it does a 2 wheel MC a 3 wheel MC a 2 wheel MC towing a 2 Wheel trailer and a 3 wheel MC towing a 2 wheel trialer. The warnings are Low pressure, slow leak, high pressure, high temperature, no signal, and the low battery and charge monitor.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
So let me update you on my Orange TPMS, Just installed it and can not get it to work...at all! Had someone else look at it, make sure I was doing everything right and nothing! What a peice of JUNK!!! I am sorry I even bought this now! All I am getting is three dash lines arcoss the display. Called and emailed the company(Cli-Max) who I bought it from. Didn't hear anything from them and I placed another call and finally got intouch with someone, they are checking to see if it is covered under warranty. Covered?? I just bought it! So glad I did not have to pay someone to mount and balance my new tires. I should have went with my gut and gone with the other TMPS.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I just spoke with Cli-Max and they want nothing to do with this and just pushing me off on the manufactor, I now have to Orange with them to get a refund or replacement. Cli-Max told me they are a disturbutor and have nothing to do with the part, they just sell them and if there is something wrong I have to contact Orange. Cli-Max is fine with selling defective parts....all they said was sorry, we just sell them. I will never buy anything again from Cli-Max!!! Of all the years of buying accessories from dealers, I have never had one just push you off on the company that made it. Usually they would take the product back for a refund or replace. Oh well...Leason learned!

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Ouch. Sorry to hear. My Orange has been installed for a year (or slightly less) and I love it. I agree that it's pretty carpy thing for Cli-Max to do. They should be taking it back and either refunding or sending you a new one. Then they ship it back to the distribution center or manufacturer.

Sorry to hear.. I'll avoid Cli-Max for any future shopping.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Ouch. Sorry to hear. My Orange has been installed for a year (or slightly less) and I love it. I agree that it's pretty carpy thing for Cli-Max to do. They should be taking it back and either refunding or sending you a new one. Then they ship it back to the distribution center or manufacturer.

Sorry to hear.. I'll avoid Cli-Max for any future shopping.
That's what I thought, they would just take it back and they would send me a new one. I am just wondering if I should cut my losses and just buy another brand TMPS??? I guess I will give it a day and see what Orange does.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Well when mine is showing the bars it is just waiting for the inital signal from the sensors. Usually received within a minute. After about 15 minutes it goes to an E1 error code if the sensor is not there.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I called Orange and they sent me an email and I have to send them photos of the front and back of display unit and of both sensors. I am so glad I listen to RealST and took photos of the sensors before installing them. So I guess I will wait to see what comes of it.

All I have been getting from mine is just the lines, neevr got an E1 message.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
What a run around!!! I now talked to Orange and they told I need to send unit back to Cli-Max for a replacement. Because it is only 3 months and I just installed, Cli-Max should just send me out a replacement unit and deal with Orange directly. Cli-Max is telling me that I need to go through Orange.....WOW!!! One, I will never buy anything from Cli-Max again and two, I kick myself for trusting that this product from Orange was worth getting! Shame on me! I should just cut my loses and buy a product that works!! So now Cli-Max and Orange are trying to work out what to do....Zzzzzzzz!! while I take a nap! :banghead:

Bike
2007 ST1300
I have the Doran system now for 3 yrs. No problems at all, it is also very accurate with my tire gauge readings. Great system. I have mine hotwired so it is on all the time and have never had an issue with it drawing to much battery juice, course I have it on a tender during long winter storage.

Greg

STOC #
I just spoke with Cli-Max and they want nothing to do with this and just pushing me off on the manufactor, I now have to Orange with them to get a refund or replacement. Cli-Max told me they are a disturbutor and have nothing to do with the part, they just sell them and if there is something wrong I have to contact Orange. Cli-Max is fine with selling defective parts....all they said was sorry, we just sell them. I will never buy anything again from Cli-Max!!! Of all the years of buying accessories from dealers, I have never had one just push you off on the company that made it. Usually they would take the product back for a refund or replace. Oh well...Leason learned!
That IS Orange Electronics. I went to bat for my customers, I bit the bullet and paid for new units for them and then I fought like hell for my money back. All I got were more units.
I have one more to sell and I'm done with this company. That said...I'll still stand behind my customers.

Please Contact raysun@orange-electronic.com and if you don't hear from him in a day or two, I think I can find his phone number.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Thanks Larry,

I did an email back and he is suppose to be shipping me out two new sensors tomorrow. If they don't work, I will throw the system in the trash and start over!

Top Bottom