Thread: SwimSTOC 2013 Aug 15-18

Vegetation Terrorist treemuncher's Avatar
    Bike
    '07 ST1300A
    My Gallery

SwimSTOC 2013 Aug 15-18

SwimSTOC 2
    --> RSVP Here <--

Go ahead, complain that it's too hot to ride but last year's event had perfect weather in the 80's. If it's too hot to ride, you can always go swimming!

The kids have gone back to school, the water is warm & clear, the campground is on the water and there are twisty roads everywhere. What could be better? STOC members at a meet!

August 15-18, 2013 at WILLOW GROVE CAMPGROUND, 11038 WILLOW GROVE HWY, ALLONS TN 38541

GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):
    36.58733, -85.34212
    36°35'14"N, 85°20'32"W

reservation information at http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Wi...ex=CampingSpot

If you like to swim or ride, this will be a fun event. Water clarity usually runs about 10 feet at Dale Hollow Lake. I've found some of the best roads that I have ever ridden in this part of the country.

This will be a simple event, nothing set in stone, nothing organized. Show up and swim or ride, kick back and have fun. Pack your groceries in because the stores are not very close by.

DParker and I will be there, anyone else? Last year's event was a blast and we ate like kings! If we get Dinky and Della to cook together, we'll have to roll ourselves home we'll be so full!!

We plan to reserve site 60. Sites can only be reserved ahead 6 months or less. I would recommend any sites 56-70, 73,75, or 77 for regular tent sites or 71, 72, 74, or 76 if you need electric for a CPAP. These sites were the best suited for motorcycles. Last year, we had this whole section to ourselves as all of the other campers were in the northwest corner of the campground. You will be required to keep your tent on the chip/gravel area and not on the grass. Avoid sites 55, 56, 80 or 81. The flatest sites are those that are the furthest south.

There is a no alcohol policy at this park because it is USACE so if you bring it, keep it well hidden and behave yourself.

› Site Search for: SwimSTOC 2013 Aug 15-18
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P8170105a.jpg  
    Last edited by treemuncher; 11-19-2012 at 06:38 PM.
    theICEdevice
    It's more important in the event of an accident than clean underwear!

Bike
    03 ST 1300
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: SwimSTOC 2013 August 15-18 Dale Hollow Lake at the Willow Grove Campground TN

Same weekend as MNSTOC. Hmmmm.
    Kevin Elliott

2003 ST1300
    STOC # 6495
    IBA # 39340

Vegetation Terrorist
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    '07 ST1300A
    My Gallery

Re: SwimSTOC 2013 August 15-18 Dale Hollow Lake at the Willow Grove Campground TN

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_56 View Post
    Same weekend as MNSTOC. Hmmmm.
    I did not see that when I posted it but this is the only weekend that will work for us anyway. After that, Della has to return to work. Prior to this, the prime rates will still be in effect. Choices, choices....big or small turnout, we will be there at Dale Hollow.

Bike
    03 ST 1300
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

I agree on plan it when it works for you. It looks like my trip NE will keep me away from FerrySTOC, so I have to do at least one that you host. It is on my calender.

Bike
    ST 1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

This was fun last year, lots of good roads and the water is fine. Plan on being there.
    FALI
    2006 ST1300

Site Supporter
    2014 Miles

My Gallery

Plannin on attending this year.

Greg

Bike
    2005 ST 1300 A
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Reservation made for site 45, the same one I had last year. This is a great event, if you did not come last year you need to!. The ability to make Reservations began this morning at 9a CST

ST states

Vegetation Terrorist
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    '07 ST1300A
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by seawalker View Post
    Reservation made for site 45, the same one I had last year. This is a great event, if you did not come last year you need to!. The ability to make Reservations began this morning at 9a CST
    Thanks for the heads up Charlie. I've made our site reservation so Della and I will be at site #60 this year. This was the flattest and best looking site for her cooking needs.

Charlie's site is up in the campers section (super waterfront view) but we had the tent area all to ourselves last year. Electric tenters should look at 71,72,74,76 if they need power. The best non electric tent sites were around 58-62 but have gravel pull in parking. Sites 63-69 have a nice paved parking lot and decent looking sites. Pictures are available on the reservations page for all sites.

I think Fali and Tommy would recommend avoiding site 55! Too steep!

Be sure to bring an empty stomach - this woman loves to cook and feed everybody! You are a fool if you leave here hungry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P8170105a.jpg  

Bike
    03 ST 1300
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Randy and all - I just reserved site 58. I skimmed through the post so far. Will they allow 2 tents per site or do they hold to the rules and only one. I ask as to allow others ample time to make reservations if no sharing is allowed.

I am so looking forward to this.

Kevin

Greg (Mondo) will be sharing this site.
    Last edited by Kevin_56; 02-27-2013 at 04:54 PM.

My Gallery

I am writing my grocery list now! I am pretty excited! Randy and I had such a great time swimming. I am used to swimming in the cold, cold, ocean waters and never had many opportunities to swim in a lake, as my mom was an ocean girl, but this lake has no sharks-bonus! Randy had taken me to the Buffalo River, and I DID swim there, and the water so warm and nice-BUT- a week later I heard on the radio that people swimming in the Buffalo should be careful, as the heat caused cottonmouths to take to the river. Needless to say, I will never swim in the Buffalo again, because I hate snakes! This lake, however, was clear, refreshing, and I was totally comfortable. It was nice to jump in after morning coffee, after a hot ride, and then another swim just before bed! I think that I will go start packing now!

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast