Joined the "Stripped Oil Drain Plug" group today.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Friggin-frack! Changing the oil in the STeed and put the drain plug in. It went in nicely; not crossthreaded or anything. Didn't even get to where it felt snug, then I could feel the odd turning of the plug in the threads....

Backed it out and it had about 1-1/2 turns of aluminum on it!

Off to get a bigger one or a helicoil....

Briggin-friggin-fraggin!@&$%#!!!!

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Hate that feeling. Happened on a little less critical item for me this year - Valve core. It at least would seat and hold air. Got it changed out and I use a little less umpf now. Will keep watching to see how this goes for you.

Kevin

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Another reason to let your synthetic oil go 10,000 miles?
;)

Actually really sorry to hear, Pat.

Mark

v8-7

Site Supporter
Great find Dan,

They are even magnetic to catch the ...oh wait.. the block is Aluminum.

I guess you'd tap it with grease on the new bolt, then pull it out and clean it .

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Great find. I wonder if I should order one now.. If I do I will never need it. If I dont I will need it soon.. lol

Bike
2006 ST1300A
At some oil changes, I've been a little worried of doing likewise. So when an almost-new oil pan was available on eBay, I bought it as a spare. You know ... jus' in case.

Bike
ST
Wow Pat, you are the man. you got all of that colorful language past the moderators and did not get deleted.

if you don't have any luck, I have two new tubes of J B WELD you can use. just let me know and I'll run them up tomorrow morning

Better Luck tomorrow, I hope.

Paul:biker:

OP
OP
sirepair

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Plug I removed was a 12x1.25 but its one of the ones with the smaller bolt that can be removed to drain the oil, so I'm guessing the PO must have installed it. I never paid much attention to it; thought it was original so maybe there was issue with it before. I've always taken the big plug out.

Bought a 14x1.50 plug to replace it. There appears to be plenty of material to tap, so thats what I plan on doing. I already have the tap and 1/2" bit (12.5mm) so thats not the issue. I will have to come up with a 1/2" drill to chuck up the drill bit!! I'm going to attempt to do this while the pan is still installed.

Wish me luck!

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I will have to come up with a 1/2" drill to chuck up the drill bit!!
I have one, I will bring it right over. Now for the truth. Sounds like you have a good plan and the right drill for the thread you want to tap. For those less knowledgeable, with a metric thread you subtract the pitch from the thread size to get the correct tap drill size. Example - a 10 x 1 thread requires a 9mm drill ( 10 - 1 ). so the 14 x 1.5 is a 12.5mm drill.

Best of luck to you.

Kevin

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Just heard a similar story on a friends brand new BMW 6 cyl bike ( lotta $ ).... Had a 600 mile service done at a dealer, then the next service at 2000+ miles ( different dealer )... At second dealer, the mech comes out 10 mins after he drops off the bike and take him in the back to show him the stripped threads. Second mech calls the first shop and they work out a credit, but that's really gotta get the big squeeze on the jewels... brand new bike and dealer messes up.

Anyway, they retapped and used a larger bolt.... just like this thread.

LarryC

SToog2
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I dunno Pat, how will you keep the drill bit and tap straight and true? I kinda like the oversized plug better. At least if it fails you can always turn to the drill/tap...

Top Bottom