How to pick up an ST

Bike
Honda ST 1300
Hey guys I made a quick vid for the Australian ST Youtube page. On how to pick one of these bad boys up after you've dropped it.

For any new members wanting an easy way to do it without going down to the pub and grabbing 10 other guys to help you. hahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
marcus1974
Bike
Honda ST 1300
haha...thanks guys

yeah I've dropped it on gravel...It's the same thing, just kick out the gravel until you can get a decent grip on the ground

Bike
2006 ST1300
Hmmm....I just bend down and pick it up. Then again...I'm 6'4" and not exactly a skinny guy...lol. I've had to do it with it loaded for 10 days on the road...same thing. Good to show people an easy way to do it if it should take a nap...thanks for taking the time to make that video.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It is amazing to me how many Moto GP riders do not know how to pick up a motorcycle - watch - you will be surprised.

Clutch
I was thinking that too when I saw the Qatar race but it has been in the back of my mind in the past. Doesn't take much for one of those bikes to be out of the race.. a simple broken brake or clutch lever and you're out... could be they see that when they start picking up the bike.. it's also a pretty light bike so you don't necessarily need to pick it up like an ST or Wing... of course those guys are a lot smaller than most of us too LOL!!

Edit: Also, a sport bike is just about flat when it tips over, so tougher from that perspective.

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
I'm not big or young so find that having in gear & using a bungee cord to hold the front brake on makes a huge difference. Otherwise, just as the bike is coming up to the cross over where the effort is at maximum, the front wheel rolls a bit and I lose both lift and angle. Just, FWIW.

CELarson

Looking forward to my next ride....
Site Supporter
That is how I picked my ST after I dropped it at the end of gravel alley leading from my garage. Worked like a charm even when my foot slipped a little bit.

Cheers,

Craig

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
My ST hasn’t needed a nap since joining the family but I probably should practice this technique before I need to use it.

Norm, I have Tony Worrell’s Pendle parking brake for my bike, which I swear is one of the best farkles I’ve ever had on a bike. No need for bungee cords or anything else to lock the front brake on.

SMSW, I’m not going anywhere near that comment… :)

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Just a word of caution.
Neighbors have HD's. Wife, tiny woman, rides a Sportster. She moved it off the drive into the front yard to move her car. Side stand did what side stands do in the soil and the bike fell over. She used this technique beautifully and righted the bike...over onto its right side. The only damage was the side stand hole in their thick, green lawn. Had this extra flip happened over concrete, the bike would have road rash on both sides.

Bike
2010 ST 1300
3rd day I owned it dropped it in the drive way. went and got the wife to help. glad I did as for when I got it up off the right side I then remembered I didn't put the kick stand down. thank you wife for saving the day. then a few months later I had IGOFAR look over the bike. He said, hey this bike has been dropped. I just laughed and said it could happen again. one year later so far I haven't but the day is still young.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Just a word of caution.
Neighbors have HD's. Wife, tiny woman, rides a Sportster. She moved it off the drive into the front yard to move her car. Side stand did what side stands do in the soil and the bike fell over. She used this technique beautifully and righted the bike...over onto its right side. The only damage was the side stand hole in their thick, green lawn. Had this extra flip happened over concrete, the bike would have road rash on both sides.
I once picked up my ST using that technique; right side was down so up and over onto the kickstand. I've noticed however, that should you drop your bike left side down, there is no instruction for us small folk how to turn around at the apogee and prevent that woman's experience.

Bike
2013 ST1300A
Mine decided to have a rest on Saturday - unfortunately it was on top of my left leg which meant I was completely trapped under her. Luckily a couple of passers-by managed to lift her enough for me to get out from under her. Now contemplating a leg that is purple/black from just above the knee down to the ankle, these old girls are HEAVY.

Top Bottom