In the Red Zone -- PR3 tire wear

omniron

...rider of V'GER
Bike
18 Kawi Ninja H2SXSE
Someone on this forum once wrote that there were only 3 states of a motorcycle tire -- new, almost new, and worn out. There's not half-worn or 1/4 left. When a bike tire goes, it happens very fast.

Does anyone have photos of a worn out PR3 rear tire?

I hate when I get to this point of tire wear. How long are they going to last, particularly the rear? Should I replace before an overnight ride this weekend -- we're talking about going all the way around the Grand Canyon? (I've never been to the South Rim.) Or should I limit myself to short day rides until after January 1, when I have time (and money) to replace the tire(s)?

I'd like to compare my tire to see how much tire I have left. My tire still has the center sipes and it's not yet to the wear bars, but I have no idea how many miles are left. At this point, I have almost 11,000 miles on these tires. I got 12,000 on PR2s. I'm in the Red Zone.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I am lucky to get half that mileage from PR3's. That being said, on a recent trip it took about 1500 miles (not very aggressive but fairly fast riding) to get from where you are to the cords (if I understand you corrrect). YMMV depending on how/where you ride.
Rod

Gunz

Houligan
Bike
'08 1300
STOC #
I just replaced my RP3 after almost 7000 miles. I still had snipes in the center and a tad to go until I hit the wear bars. The issue was a loss of traction, especially over on the side. It was if the remaining, underlying rubber was slippery and made the bike dangerous in a lean; hard acceleration out of a corner risked the back end coming out.

Regarding your original post, I'd change it. Better safe than sorry, especially if your hard on the throttle.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
Sounds to me like you are at about the same point as I have been changing out either PR3's or 2's.

Someone on this forum once wrote that there were only 3 states of a motorcycle tire -- new, almost new, and worn out. There's not half-worn or 1/4 left. When a bike tire goes, it happens very fast.

Does anyone have photos of a worn out PR3 rear tire?

I hate when I get to this point of tire wear. How long are they going to last, particularly the rear? Should I replace before an overnight ride this weekend -- we're talking about going all the way around the Grand Canyon? (I've never been to the South Rim.) Or should I limit myself to short day rides until after January 1, when I have time (and money) to replace the tire(s)?

I'd like to compare my tire to see how much tire I have left. My tire still has the center sipes and it's not yet to the wear bars, but I have no idea how many miles are left. At this point, I have almost 11,000 miles on these tires. I got 12,000 on PR2s. I'm in the Red Zone.

OP
OP
omniron

omniron

...rider of V'GER
Bike
18 Kawi Ninja H2SXSE
when in doubt change them out!
Sounds like the best advice. Thanks for all your comments.

I was hoping to wait until February or March of next year. My wife has suggested that one set of tires a year should be enough. Obviously, I ride solo. She has no idea of the experience. My curse for living in a climate that allows, nay encourages, year-'round riding. Also my curse for owning an ST -- it's just so darn fun to ride and goes long distances with such easy effort.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I've posted that saying on the form a couple of times, I ripped it off of Clement Salvador from Rider magazine.

I'm in agreement with those that say "when in doubt trade it out". As for trying to explain to the SO that it's not time but mileage........ I can't for life of me figure out how a woman who is so much smarter than I am on most things can utter the words " Is adding oil really necessary":D

Mike:03biker:

Top Bottom