HELP Cylinder Head Cover Re-install

JCorwin

jackass
Bike
03 ST
STOC #
So, It's a rainy Sunday, and the bike is stripped ready for a little valve clearance check-up (16K) I'm just going over everything I need, and I see in the Service Manual, when I re-install the cylinder head covers, I need to apply seal to the semi circular cutouts.....my question is what kind of seal? Hopefully something I can get at an Auto Supply store, since the MC dealers are closed today? Anything else I should have on hand (aside from feeler gages) before I start?:bow1:

THANKS

You need a magnifying glass to read the tiny camshaft gear index marks printed in the service manual. :(

From Sears:

Bent feeler gauges; approach the intake lifters with the gauge from the opening in the camshaft holder below the intake cam and approach the exhaust lifters from above the exhaust cam.

Mirror with handle so you can view T1/T2 timing index mark

Either of these will work instead of Honda Bond and are available at auto supply stores:

http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_sealants/Permatex_Ultra_Rubber_Gasket_Sealant_Dressing.htm

http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_sealants/Permatex_Hi-Temp_RTV_Silicone_Gasket_Sealant.htm

The RTV sealant will seal well, but is harder to clean off the gasket and cover at the next service.

Apply a thin layer over the entire rubber gasket, not just the cut outs, to avoid leaks.

OP
OP
JCorwin

JCorwin

jackass
Bike
03 ST
STOC #
Apply a thin layer over the entire rubber gasket, not just the cut outs, to avoid leaks.

I can re-use the casket, right? Thanks for the quick replies, it sure is comforting to know that good info is just a click away.

JCorwin said:

I can re-use the casket, right? Thanks for the quick replies, it sure is comforting to know that good info is just a click away.

The valve cover gasket is a thick, heavy duty, rubber like gasket material which does not adhere to the cover or head.

It is designed to be reused, and wil last 100's of k miles.

OP
OP
JCorwin

JCorwin

jackass
Bike
03 ST
STOC #
Thanks for all the great replies guys!! I just got the permatex from Auto Zone, now I've gotta go to my sisters house, give mom her mothers day present, and then come home and play!!:) :) :)

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Ok, old interesting threads never die:
What is the best way to mount a new gasket - considering the portions that encircle the sparkplug cutouts. Is it better to mount the new gasket (with a little gasket cement) to the cover first, and then flip over to cover the cam area? Or, is it better to lay the gasket onto the cam area and try to feel for the right sparkplug hole gasket connection?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I use the Permatex Blue silicone applied in a very thin bead around the entire valve cover surface, including the spark plug hole bits, then mount the gasket on it. Then put a thin bead of Permatex on each gasket half moon before mounting onto the head.

Last edited:

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I use the Permatex Blue silicone applied in a very thin bead around the entire valve cover surface, including the spark plug hole bits, then mount the gasket on it. Then put a thin bead of Permatex on each gasket half moon before mounting onto the head.

So, basically glue the gasket to the cover and then install the cover. Do you smear sealant on the entire half moon, or just in the 90 degree corners?

Ray

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
there are other adhesives that can be used to attach the gasket to the cover that are lighter/thinner than blue silicone (google gasgacinch). You only need a little bit to hold the gasket in a few key areas so it doesn't fall out after being turned over, so don't make a mess out of it. The half moon areas can be prone to weeping, so putting something around the circumference of the circle shape is a good idea.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Have I stated this issue clearly?
I think so. A new gasket is set into the valve cover with a tiny amount of RTV in a few areas. The gasket to cylinder head is done dry, no RTV or sealant except a smidge at the 90 degree corners of the semi circles. I messed up at the first valve check and put sealant all the way around the valve cover to head surfaces and had to replace the gaskets at the second valve check, that said they're now 130,000 miles in place and the valve covers have been off 4 or 5 more times and still seal without leaks or weeps.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
So, basically glue the gasket to the cover and then install the cover. Do you smear sealant on the entire half moon, or just in the 90 degree corners?

Ray
Smear wouldn't be the right term, but I do apply a thin bead from the finely cut nozzle around the entire half moon, on both sides of the gasket. So the valve cover side gets a thin bead everywhere and the engine side just on the half moons and slightly past the 90 degree corners. It probably isn't needed to be used on the entire valve cover side, but I do it to ensure the gasket is held in place during the install.

I like the Permatex Blue because it is easily peeled off the gasket on the next inspection and won't cause damage requiring a new gasket.

Last edited:

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Ok, thanks guys. I will use Hondabond HT to tack the gaskets to the covers, add a bit of the Hondabond to the 1/2 moons, and install the covers.

Top Bottom