Testing 705 Adventure Sport tires on my ST

OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
okay. so allergy meds make me stupid, or at least forgetful.
As I stated earlier the mileage is off because of the much larger front tire.
My current mileage is closer to 8200 miles.
This is getting close to less than a penny a mile once I remove the tire.
If I chance the Memphis trip on it it will certainly be less than that.

OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
right. in the head calculation is contraindicated while medicated.
Spread sheet made and accurate miles finally figured. (and my mile this year to be corrected from now on too ... bonus)
Final results of the Bias 150/70/17 on the rear of my ST:
Start miles - 51700
End (coming off in a few minutes) - indicated - 59245, adjusted actual - 59386
Total 7686 miles at $0.0117 per mile

Yesterday in the wet I spun the tires pretty bad when straight up, healed over traction was still okay on the wet and damp backroads we were on after the RTE.
I'm off to change the tire right now.

OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
Removed the Front this morning. Went for a long ride last saturday and got a bit rambunctious ... smelled smoke twice in near or at 100 ambient (and screaming hot road temp) and noticed that I blistered the tire in a few spot, and after riding the week to work had some cracking at the tread block, sort of like dry rot but likely from the heat damage. Pics to come.
I went with a Kenda DP in 110/80 to replace it and keep the DP riding characteristics.
Final cost (with much tread left ... it'll become a rear on my old XL) was $0.0053153705/mile

OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
Here are those pics I took:

as I said, it was rubbing on the cross brace hiding under the fender

So add road temps likely well over 100 and we get this:

Blister city, and a bit of separation of the tread block.

OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
Yikes.:22yikes:
yeah, I've not seen blistering that bad since a guy tried to run a gumball dirt tire in a 50 lap dry slick race so his Superstock could kinda compete with the full on Late Model cars. Guess I shoulda went with the front I got now in the first place. Now it will be little worn when I go with the next generation of this testing (probably the opposite end with 023s or PR3s we shall see).

Oh man I sure hope you don't go with those again!
not that size.
The rear worked fine and the new radial works great so far. I just need to not touch 100 and sling the tread up into the brace until the smell of rubber burning reminds me to slow the heck down.
I did that several times but not in hot weather until last weekend.

OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
Alas, the rear suffered a puncture today while riding between Breckenridge and Ranger and I am considering ending the test here. At first look, I missed the hole and just aired the tire back up (was also missing my gauge). Soon it was near flat again so I found a nice area paved at a mailbox and was able to find the hole.
The hole is a slice and just plugging it was a chore. The first plug pulled out on the way into Ranger so I got to the Loves truckstop and after more reaming and making a larger diameter plug by pulling strands from another one, I managed to get it to stay and got home. Needless to say, the tire got well abused by the running while low and I'd not trust it very far even if I had a plugpatch to attempt a repair.
Short take on the Radial version and the 705 as a whole.
Great cool weather tire.
They Hate the heat while on a heavy bike.
Handled great and as my tapered boots show will stick well over on the side until the pegs scape (I run MCL peg lowering brackets) and then some.
in the fall/winter/spring and possibly on a lighter bike year round I would run these again. Likely will if I ever get the 400T running and wear out the tires I have on it.
Next ... possibly PR3 if the sizing info I have is correct the 150/70 runs a bit taller that the Bridgie 023 in 160/70.

OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
Sounds like your test is over. Good luck on your next tires.
a set of PR3s in 150/70 and 110/80 are now on order. I went with the 150 as I saw it is supposed to be a bit taller than the OEM 160 ... the tach and gps will tell. Hopefu;;y it is as uneventful as the bia 705 was. No hole, hits or who knows.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Just found this thread, I have those Shinko 705 tires ready to mount on my Kawasaki KLX650C for next spring. Will be used on and off road.

I'm amazed they held up on an ST1100 that well in the heat, not designed for that heavy a bike.

OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
If I had a XL650 or any smaller street bike I'd use them full time (well, my CB400 has Shinko 241s on it right now, just wanted cheap, black, and round for it, later I will likely get the 705s). The 120/80 now resides on the rear of my '80 XL250s. I am thinking about some sipes cut into the block might help let the heat out, but I get leery about cutting bike tires for the road.

Top Bottom