Article [13] ST1300 - Lower Fuel Tank Replacement "How To" Guide

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Re: ST1300 Lower Fuel Tank "How To" Guide

Most if not all of the factory black zip ties on my '04 can be loosened and reused by pressing on the release tab located at the junction. Nice to know all of the steps involved. Thanks for the writeup. I was actually toying with the idea of pulling my tank last year when replacing the lower fuel tank sensor but when I discovered that the tank would not come out the top like I thought it would because of the wiring harness, I decided to nix that idea...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Just scanned through it but VERY nice work Mick....!!! I moved this to the Article section.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
As promised, attached is a "cook book" set of instructions for replacing the ST1300 lower fuel tank.

The removal and installation took me two days.... three if you count associated jobs such as upper tank removal/installation and bleeding the brakes from having unnecessarily disconnected a brake line. It took this long because I stopped at every opportunity to take pictures. I also took plenty of breaks to relax and think ahead.

I thought about posting the instructions as a regular post but there are just too many pictures to mess with.

The likelihood that you'll ever have to do this job is pretty remote. I was just "lucky". Background on why I had to replace the lower tank can be seen here:
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?123140-It-Just-Keeps-Getting-Better!!!!!!&highlight=

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I have no problem with you posting it on your site at all Arno. I wrote it as an aid to everyone who may have to do this. Doesn't matter what site it's on.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi Mick:

I just read this article with great interest as I am about to try to replace the clutch slave cylinder on my 2007 ST1300 (once the danged cold weather breaks around here). As you may know, the Honda manual simply tells you to "remove the engine", and then replace the cylinder, while several Forum members have managed to do this job from below - but access to the slave cylinder and especially the hydraulic banjo fitting on the top side of it - is very restricted by the front edge of the swing arm and a bunch of other stuff - when viewed from below.

I think everyone would agree that removing the engine on an ST bike is a major undertaking and getting at this thing from below will tax my sore back very badly - and so I am trying to see if there is an easier way that doesn't involve either $1200 in labour at a dealership or killing myself lying on a floor in the middle of winter. I would note that the clutch slave cylinder is held on by three little 6mm bolts and that the banjo fitting has two hydraulic lines plus three aluminium crush washers on it - but none of this stuff is big, heavy rusty or complex. I suspect that replacing the danged cylinder would take about 10 minutes if one could actually get at it with a clear view.

In reading your article, I got to wondering if removing the lower fuel tank would expose the rear end of the engine - and thus, give quite easy access to the clutch slave cylinder.

Any thoughts?

Pete

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Re: ST1300 - Lower Fuel Tank Replacement "How To" Guide

Maxpete,
That's what a MC lift is for...just bought one and wondering why I waited so long to get one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #

Maxpete,
That's what a MC lift is for...just bought one and wondering why I waited so long to get one.

....yeah, well, not exactly STGuy. The danged CSC is up about 6-8 inches from the bottom of the bike and it is RIGHT in front of the front edge of the swing arm - so you really cannot get at it - or more particularly, you cannot get at the banjo fitting on top of it (unless you have hands like Tinkerbell the Fairy).

One forum member laid his bike down on its left side and others have wangled their hands up inside - but I really don't think that a lift would help in this case.

Anyhow - thanks for the note!

Pete

Last edited:
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
ALL: I really just wondered if anyone had been deep down inside the bike under the seat (like to remove the lower fuel tank) - and did the view ever make the clutch slave cylinder visible?

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A

....yeah, well, not exactly STGuy. The danged CSC is up about 6-8 inches from the bottom of the bike and it is RIGHT in front of the front edge of the swing arm - so you really cannot get at it - or more particularly, you cannot get at the banjo fitting on top of it (unless you hands like Tinkerbell the Fairy). One forum member laid his bike down on its left side and others have wangled their hands up inside - but I really don't think that a lift would help in this case.

Anyhow - thanks for the note!

Pete
That's terrible! I will have to look. Mostly I was referring to not having to lay on a cold garage floor![emoji4]

Is part of this missing?
If you're asking about the actual "how-to", yes, the thread is a bit confusing ... there's also a reference in here to yet another thread , that brings you back here.

So, with all that said, go to Post #4 just above , and download the PDF attached there

This thread is technically not a how-to , but contains one post that offers the how-to as a separate document (of course, I may have misinterpreted your question :)

Top Bottom