New Delkevic Carbon Tri-Ovals

Bike
2012 Black ST13
Well, riding the Jetson's mobile wasn't cutting it for me so I sprung for a set of Delkevic carbon triovals. They should be here tomorrow, and from reading the posts here it doesn't look like a huge deal to install them. Just pull the old ones off and slide the new ones on, right? Make sure they line up the same and tighten them down, putting locktite on the bolts. Anything i've missed here?

I've always had bikes with some "character" sound-wise, and the turbine whine of the ST just didn't sound right to me. I'm leaving the baffles in to start with, as i'm deaf enough already.

Any suggestions greatfully accepted!

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Start your install now with soaking the current exhaust clamps in some rust-busting solvent of your choice.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I don't know if I would lock tite the bolts they tend to get pretty rusty down there they may snap off whenm loosening them. Pre soak them with the rust buster of your choice for sure.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I didn't locktite anything, just some anti-seize on them and that's it. Especially the ones that attach the mid pipe to the exhaust header, they tend to freeze up due to the exposure to elements and heat/cool cycles... after some anti seize - actually, made by locktite.. LOL... they loosen and tighten without any issues.

OP
OP
Bike
2012 Black ST13
Thanks for the responses on this one! I decided that my back hurt enough already and that I didn't want to be crawling around in the cold on the concrete garage floor for a couple of hours to do it myself, so I got my dealer to do it instead. They took one hour, did a good job aligning them properly, lock-tited the baffles, and I'm not any more the worse-for-wear as a result!

The carbon tri-ovals look great on my all black bike, and now it sounds more like a motorcycle than a Jetson's machine! With the baffles in it's really not all that much louder than stock until you really get on it. So far the popping on decel isn't much, but then I haven't had a chance to really get into it hard and back off quickly. It just kinda burbles on decel so far. I had a Victory Hammer with a Bassani that was fairly loud to begin with and would really backtalk on decel!

The guys in the shop here (it's a new dealership here in Springfield) had never seen these mufflers before and were impressed with the quality and esp. the price! These are easily the least expensive slip-ons I've ever had, so we'll see how good they look after some time and mileage.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
[QUOTE;1637769]They sound great send picture. What about cat and computer, no issues?[/QUOTE]

As long as you keep your cat away from the computer you shouldn't have any issues. The box in your avatar looks about the right size, just needs a lid (don't forget the holes). :D

I called Delkevic Three weeks ago and they said they don't make pipes for a 2012 for now. Where are you getting your's from ?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Ask if they make 'em for a 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, or 2013 model.

But one of those and just adapt.

Bike
2004 ST1300 BLU
I know this subject has been discussed extensively, but just wanted to follow up with anyone that has road some extensive miles with these, and any thoughts or advice on the ovals vs. tri-ovals, and the stainless vs. carbon layup? Thanks for any additional insight!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
What is the difference from the2012 to all the other STs?:tb1:
Actually, I would ask what the U.S. 2011 and 2013 STs are all about since they weren't sold in the U.S. in those years.. LOL

2012 was the current last model.

And, they should fit all ST1300s regardless of year anyway.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
And, they should fit all ST1300s regardless of year anyway.[/QUOTE]
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure if there was some little change or update that I was missing.:tb1:

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
I know this subject has been discussed extensively, but just wanted to follow up with anyone that has road some extensive miles with these, and any thoughts or advice on the ovals vs. tri-ovals, and the stainless vs. carbon layup? Thanks for any additional insight!
I have the Delkevic Ss triovals for 3 years, 30,000 miles now. No issues, looks great, sounds good, cooler all around. No rust anywhere. I think there is a small gain on HP at high RPM. Gas milage is about the same. The down side is that I think there is a little less torque at low RPM, from idle to about 3000. I did not have it dynoed, so it is just a seat of the pant feeling. Last week, I tried to reinstall the OEM mufflers, just for a change. I ran into problems. The OEM mufflers would not go back into the headers far enough to line up the hanging bolts. I remounted the Delkevic with new gaskets.
I am searching on the forum to find to find any precedents. If no result, I'll post a new thread for advance.
Kenny

Top Bottom