ST heat vs the others

sws

In my 30+ years of riding all brands of bikes I favor Honda over all other brands. I live in Louisiana and which bike runs cooler in 90 degree heat between the ST, FJR and the 2nd generation C14? Test rides are very hard to come by so I would like to hear from those who have owned or have ridden those above and give me your opinion.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
Are you referring to the engine coolant temp or the heat felt by the rider?

If it is the "felt heat" the rider has to put up with, I can partially answer that.

I have an '04 ST1300 and my Dad rides an '07 FJR (Gen2). I have never ridden the C14. First thing is that not everyone agrees on how much heat the ST1300 produces. I don't much notice it, it has never been an issue. The Gen 1 FJR ('03-'05) was pretty bad about rider heat. The Gen 2 FJR ('06-'12) is about the same as the ST1300. I honestly cannot tell the difference temp wise between the two bikes and I have ridden them both in the heat of the summer. The Gen 3 FJR (2013) is supposed to have improved the heat situation even more. I have not ridden one.

What part of Swampy Flatlandistan are you in? I am not far outside Baton Rouge, if you need a closer look at the ST, let me know.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
I rode a 2003 ST 1300 from new to 2010. I now ride a 2010 FJR ... 2 seasons & 46,000 miles.

There was a lot more heat coming off the ST than the Feejer.

No experience riding the C14.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
I will tell you this, there is not in my opinion enough difference in felt heat between the ST1300 and the FJR to be a deciding factor. Obviously, others feel very differently. I personally don't think all the bikes are created equal, there are subtle variations. My best advice would be to ride or at least sit on the different bikes you are interested in. The ST and the FJR are both fantastic motorcycles, I don't think that perceived heat would be enough to sway me from one bike to the other. You may feel differently.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
Andrew you are so cool I will ride behind you on a warm day just to feel the coolness ;)
You are the only man I know who is so cool that the thermostat on his ST never has to open.
So cool that he has to wear gloves or his grips will ice over.
So cool that Fonzie asked for his autograph. And said "Please"!
Cooler than a mother-in-law's love...(And that is pretty cold)

Bike
2006 ST1300
LOL @ above

I never found the heat to be an issue. Sure, there is heat there...we have a 120+hp, liquid cooled V-4 between our legs...there is going to be heat. I've ridden in 100+ degrees without any complaints. The only time I wish it was cooler was when sitting in Boston traffic on a mid-90's day. But I had more complaints about the traffic...and the fact that I was in Boston...than the heat from the engine.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Cooler than a mother-in-law's love...(And that is pretty cold)
The other three I must agree with but this one is too frosty and unbelievable. I am waiting for the Heavy Fog to lift here in cenla and thinkin about where to today on the Super Cool ST.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
LOL @ above

I never found the heat to be an issue. Sure, there is heat there...we have a 120+hp, liquid cooled V-4 between our legs...there is going to be heat. I've ridden in 100+ degrees without any complaints. The only time I wish it was cooler was when sitting in Boston traffic on a mid-90's day. But I had more complaints about the traffic...and the fact that I was in Boston...than the heat from the engine.
+1 on this ^^^ ! But I maintain that the manufacturers are getting better at routing this heat away from the rider.

I submit to the forum that since I live in Swampy Flatlandistan I am an expert on Heat of the Humid Kind. I also submit that with both of these Horses at my disposal I am qualified to make an unbiased judgement.

OP
OP

sws

Redfish, I see that u have both the c14 & the st. First let me state that I love the reliability of a Honda. Since Nov. 02 I have owned two VTXes with over 120k miles with absolutely not one problem. Priced the same I would no doubt choose thy ST. The problem I have is the buy in cost of the C14 & ST. I don't trade bikes often and will keep a bike 5 yrs. + easily.

Took a long test ride on a ST on a hot and humid day. The heat on the lower legs wasn't noticed, but there was a gap between the seat and the tank that vented heat like a blast furnace and chapped my inner thighs. Walked away sad because I would have tried to make a deal for the bike. I understand that this can solved, maybe. No doubt this bike is all day comfortable.

Took a short test ride on a 08 C14 on a 40 degree day. Motor is wonderful and dangerous all at the same time. It calls to me to pull on the loud handle. Not good for your driving record. Not as all day comfortable as the ST.

I have no doubt that if maintained the ST is a 100k mile bike, can the same be said for a Kawasaki.
I guess I need to hear a reason to pay more for an older bike.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
There will be those that poo poo my input here but my personal witness is just that. I was running Royal Purple synthetic in my 07 and 2 miles into a ride (hot or mild temp) my right ankle would get scorched when I was in my jeans and athletic shoes. I switched to Chevron DELO oil and I could (note I said could but don't) ride bare foot and in shorts and wouldn't have a temperature problem. The tank temperature has never been a problem for me. I have ridden in as high as 110 temps and not had problems with rider heat from the bike now. Not a comparison but just giving my feedback.

In my 30+ years of riding all brands of bikes I favor Honda over all other brands. I live in Louisiana and which bike runs cooler in 90 degree heat between the ST, FJR and the 2nd generation C14? Test rides are very hard to come by so I would like to hear from those who have owned or have ridden those above and give me your opinion.

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
There will be those that poo poo my input here but my personal witness is just that. I was running Royal Purple synthetic in my 07 and 2 miles into a ride (hot or mild temp) my right ankle would get scorched when I was in my jeans and athletic shoes. I switched to Chevron DELO oil and I could (note I said could but don't) ride bare foot and in shorts and wouldn't have a temperature problem. The tank temperature has never been a problem for me. I have ridden in as high as 110 temps and not had problems with rider heat from the bike now. Not a comparison but just giving my feedback.
Hi Justytroll, I know this is an old thread but I have been trying to decide if the ST1300 heat is going to be a problem for me. I would like to move from the ST1100 to a 1300 very soon. I have read almost every thread on the forum about this topic but your oil suggestion above is interesting. What weight is the oil that you used to get rid of the heat problem?

Top Bottom