Thread: Tornado damage in Coble, TN

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Update-Tornado damage in Coble, TN

I saw on tonight's news that a EF-2 tornado touched down in Coble, TN Tuesday night. From the helicopter video, it looked like it may have damaged the Tin Roof Restaurant. I hope not, cause that's a great RTE put on by Treemuncher. I may have to ride over there this weekend to check it out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	412.8 KB 
ID:	131666

John

› Site Search for: Tornado damage in Coble, TN
    Last edited by Nashcat; 02-17-2013 at 05:09 PM.

'06 ST1300 '08 GL1800

Bike
    2004 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Re: Tornado damage in Coble, TN

Hope not John, let us know.
    We missed the bullet on most of it last night..it was nasty all the way across..
    Keith - lectricmojo
    STOC# 8788

Term: Motorcyclist .....Definition:

Vegetation Terrorist treemuncher's Avatar
    Bike
    '07 ST1300A
    My Gallery

After seeing the pics on the news, it looks like the twister ripped right through Coble where the old country store was (the one with the Gulf sign). The hillside across the street was laid fairly flat and looked totally devastated.

Knowing that the Tin Roof was only a couple hundred feet away makes me think that they took at least a partial hit if not a complete thrashing. I never came across any pics that I recognized as The Tin Roof.

I'm sure one of us will find the time to ride down there and see what the situation is.
    theICEdevice
    It's more important in the event of an accident than clean underwear!

Bike
    ST 1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

It looked like the old store and homes across the street and to the East took a bad hit. I thought I could see part of the Tin Roof in one of the shots and it looked OK but appeard as though there may be a tree down close to the bldg. Won't know for sure until one of us makes a trip over there.
    FALI
    2006 ST1300

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Well, Janis and were able to ride back over to Coble on the 9th. I don't have any pictures because there was really no place to stop or park, due to all the equipment and cleanup crews right in the middle of the little town. The good news is that The Tin Roof is still standing, however there was a tarp over part of the roof. The store that had the Gulf sign still looked mostly intact. Almost everything else looked like a war zone! Trees were laying down everywhere, some still on buildings. The entire area was covered with cleanup crews with dozens of dozers and backhoes. Giant mounds of firewood were everywhere, as well as piles of timber headed for the sawmill. I guess they're trying to at least salvage something from the downed trees. Going down Sulfur Road, the dirt road nearby, the tornado had followed the creek, leaving about a half mile of trees laying in the creek. We were amazed at the size of some of the trees that were tossed around like twigs. On nearly every hillside, there were chainsaws running but they were not even beginning to make a dent in the tangle of downed trees. It appears that it will take several years to get the area cleaned up, just from downed timber, not to mention the homes and buildings. Since it a fairly short ride, I plan to follow the cleanup efforts. Hopefully, next time, I'll have pictures.

Ride safe.

John

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Took another ride to Coble this afternoon. This time I was able to get a few pictures. It looks like most of the larger debris has been removed, but there are several houses, where the remains still need to be removed. I saw what looked like two different houses that had been burned in order to clean them up.

This first picture is of the country store, which was largely untouched.

This next picture was taken 180 degrees from the first picture. It was a house across the street from the country store. Really nothing left.

Here is a pic of the Tin Roof. It looks mostly undamaged except that the awning on the right side is missing.

Now take a look at this pic which was taken 180 degrees from the Tin Roof pic! This is the hillside across the street from the Tin Roof. Nothing but trees on the ground. There were still several crews cutting wood, trying to salvage something from the devastation. THEN COMPARE THIS TO THE NEXT PICTURE.

This picture was taken last year at a previous RTE. Just by chance, I happened to be in exactly the same spot today when I took a picture of the damaged hillside, as I was last year taking a picture of the bikes that were there. What's wrong with this picture. As you will probably notice, there is a house missing!!! You can use the fence and one remaining power pole as reference points to compare the two pictures. The last two pics were taken from almost the exact same spot! Scary to think how much the area changed in just a couple of minutes.

Ride Safe,
    John

+ New Posts