How cold is too cold to ride?

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Temps expected to below freezing most mornings starting tomorrow and for the foreseeable future through this season. Will install the Gerbing heated gloves controller on the bike this weekend. I only use it when temps are below freezing or just one or two deg above depending on wind and humidity.

No, not too cold to ride. Just cold enough to make some adjustments to the gear.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Temps expected to below freezing most mornings starting tomorrow and for the foreseeable future through this season. Will install the Gerbing heated gloves controller on the bike this weekend. I only use it when temps are below freezing or just one or two deg above depending on wind and humidity.

No, not too cold to ride. Just cold enough to make some adjustments to the gear.
How do you mount your controller? I'd like to mount mine, but am concerned it will separate from the bike.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I mount my WnS controller on top of my clutch master cylinder with Velcro. I've never had it come loose with the Velcro, but I loop the lanyard around the clutch hose, just in case.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
How do you mount your controller? I'd like to mount mine, but am concerned it will separate from the bike.
I don't use hook/loop fasteners since those can separate easier than I want. Instead I use 3M Dual-Lock fasteners like THIS from Amazon. When I bought this stuff I got it from Radio Shack many years ago. They don't have it anymore so next time I need some I'll get it from Amazon.

Both sides (on bike and on controller) have the same plastic "hooks" that lock into each other very securely, no soft "loop" material. It comes in black and clear but I only have the black on hand. I use it for a few things I want to attach to the bike but remove at times. So far it works very well and stays stuck where I put it even in extreme cold and heat when I ride. It would work very well mounted to the side surface on the bike as well as on a top surface like I have mine mounted.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
I don't use hook/loop fasteners since those can separate easier than I want. Instead I use 3M Dual-Lock fasteners like THIS from Amazon. When I bought this stuff I got it from Radio Shack many years ago. They don't have it anymore so next time I need some I'll get it from Amazon.

Both sides (on bike and on controller) have the same plastic "hooks" that lock into each other very securely, no soft "loop" material. It comes in black and clear but I only have the black on hand. I use it for a few things I want to attach to the bike but remove at times. So far it works very well and stays stuck where I put it even in extreme cold and heat when I ride. It would work very well mounted to the side surface on the bike as well as on a top surface like I have mine mounted.

That's a good idea, I have a similar controller for my Macna heated gloves. It's annoying to have to we the Velcro leg strap that it comes with. . . I may have to get some of this for my ST too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
rjs987 said:
Both sides (on bike and on controller) have the same plastic "hooks" that lock into each other very securely, no soft "loop" material.
The thing I like about this stuff is that the 'hooks' aren't hooks at all. While there are no soft looks as in Velcro or unnamed similar stuff there are also no scratchy hooks that grab any material not intended to be grabbed. Running your hand over the material gives a somewhat slick feel. And it's very grippy when connected to its other half.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #

For the same reasons you mention, secure connection and lack of catch on other materials, I tried the 3M Command Picture Hanger strips. Seemed secure when I installed the (wireless) controller on top of my clutch reservoir, but it disappeared into the night on my first ride to work. By the time I parked and walked back to where I thought I heard something fall all I found were pieces, as it had obviously been run over. That was an expensive experiment I won't be repeating. I think I'll use the 3M strips again to attach the controller inside, near the top of the right fairing pocket. That way it's accessible while riding, but if it falls it's inside the pocket, not onto the road.

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
I used to work next door to a Stainless Steel Fabricator. I drew a design of a SS housing for the Warm n Safe wireless controller to mount on the clutch reservoir cover using the cover screws. The shop made it. Looks neat and tidy, got a lot of complements. Easy to use too.
Kenny

Attachments

Bike
2010 ST1300
Home Depot has some extra strong Velcro - its not like the standard stuff. You might buy a package of it for a few bucks and see what you think.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I've used the 3M dual lock to mount my Firstgear wireless controller to the top of the front brake master cylinder for the past 4 years with no issues.

Sent using Tapatalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
MajorTom said:
I tried the 3M Command Picture Hanger strips.
I got a pack of 3M Dual Lock strips (4 I think) at the local hardware store years back. These are super grippy. Following rjs' link to Amazon I saw there was also the same or similar pack along with other 3M locking products.

The Dual Lock pack said 5x grip strength and another similar 3M product not labeled Dual Lock showed 3x grip strength. Regular Velcro is fairly sticky when new but does give up. Imitation Velcro throws it's hooks up even quicker. So 3x grip strength doesn't impress me.

Based on your experience I'll get some Dual Lock and avoid Command Picture Hanger strips. Mounting it in a pocket does have its appeal though. Thanks for that idea.

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
As someone stated above, it's never too cold to ride. It just depends on how bulked up you want to be. . . .I rode on a night that was supposed to be about 15 degrees cooler than it really was and was annoyed that I had my heated gloves, 2 layers on top and bottom, and my Turtle Fur balaclava. I was sweating in the 1st 10 minutes. . .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I always here "are you freezing it's too cold to ride a motorcycle". Most of the people who say it are snowmobile riders?

Top Bottom