How cold is too cold to ride?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
It's your choice to lay it down on black ice you didn't know was there ..........?
Yep, it's my choice. Black ice can form at ground temperatures below freezing. Considering that is a big part of the winter months and a small percent of it actually happens I won't be held captive to what if's. I make informed decisions and roll my own dice at the table. I won't ride on beet juice or slide it again on a thin layer of ice hidden under a very thin layer of fresh snow. BDTD!

I might not see the airplane trying to do an emergency landing on the highway behind me, that could happen anytime of the year. Should the bike stay in the garage then too?

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Yep, it's my choice. Black ice can form at ground temperatures below freezing. Considering that is a big part of the winter months and a small percent of it actually happens I won't be held captive to what if's. I make informed decisions and roll my own dice at the table. I won't ride on beet juice or slide it again on a thin layer of ice hidden under a very thin layer of fresh snow. BDTD!

I might not see the airplane trying to do an emergency landing on the highway behind me, that could happen anytime of the year. Should the bike stay in the garage then too?
I was only reminding folks there can be black ice to look out for , no need for you to start a argumentative , nasty issue of it !

Being in Michigan , I've encountered more than enough of black ice ! - using a cage.

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Not as ballsy as some of you......:bow1:.

But have ridden in bright sunny weather and the temps were in the teens.....

This was March 2 of 2016 on Snoqualmie Pass.....

_20160302_130209.jpg.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Not as ballsy as some of you......:bow1:.

But have ridden in bright sunny weather and the temps were in the teens.....

This was March 2 of 2016 on Snoqualmie Pass.....

_20160302_130209.jpg.
I am reminded of NEW-STOC in June...But i do not recall it being so bright and sunny out...

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
One of the many details I am VERY attentive to during winter riding is the pavement temp and moisture conditions at ground level. I pay very close attention to any potential of fog or "hoar frost" in the area. Our state DOT has sensors in the pavement of major roads around the area that I constantly check out. This shows me pavement temps as well as bridge deck temps, humidity, air temps at the surface, etc. Often the pavement temp is above freezing even when air temp is well below that, but bridge deck temps are usually very close to air temp since there is air on both sides (above and below) that deck. Very important to know where the ice may form.

Looks like a LOT of ice on the road in that photo of Snoqualmie Pass. Either that or the pavement temp was really warm. I prefer bone dry arid and clear pavement when I ride in cold temps. I like riding. Cold temps don't really bother me. But I am sensitive to the pavement conditions.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Like I said, ice and accumulated snow will keep me off the road. I am aware of overpasses that could be slick and plan my routes so I don't have to cross any, or cross ones that get a lot of car traffic which heats up the pavement. I tend to ride straighter roads in cold and rain and curvy roads in warm and dry. Salt doesn't bother me except where it becomes piled in intersections or outside of corners. Cold temperatures themselves can be dealt with by dressing properly. Riding when conditions are not safe is a matter of experience and common sense, same as riding in the rain. You don't ride in the rain the same as you would in the dry, and you don't ride in the cold, the same you would in the heat.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I was only reminding folks there can be black ice to look out for , no need for you to start a argumentative , nasty issue of it !
Sorry, just the way it came off. Being told to stop riding because there might be black ice is like hearing the story of my friend who had a brother whos buddy had a cousin that knew somebody who...

Motorcycles have an inherent danger, riding in sub freezing temperature adds in a few more. Less traction from cold tires, possibility of frozen precipitation. Absolute cold and clear is good riding, the zone around the freezing point is the danger time if there is moisture in the air.

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
This was one of those weird, warmer than normal days this past February on Skyline Drive. . . .extra points to anyone that can guess the temp when I took these pictures. Overnight temperature was 27 degrees.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
One of the many details I am VERY attentive to during winter riding is the pavement temp and moisture conditions at ground level. I pay very close attention to any potential of fog or "hoar frost" in the area. Our state DOT has sensors in the pavement of major roads around the area that I constantly check out. This shows me pavement temps as well as bridge deck temps, humidity, air temps at the surface, etc. Often the pavement temp is above freezing even when air temp is well below that, but bridge deck temps are usually very close to air temp since there is air on both sides (above and below) that deck. Very important to know where the ice may form.

Looks like a LOT of ice on the road in that photo of Snoqualmie Pass. Either that or the pavement temp was really warm. I prefer bone dry arid and clear pavement when I ride in cold temps. I like riding. Cold temps don't really bother me. But I am sensitive to the pavement conditions.
Yes, I too am wary of black ice.......the temps had been above freezing for quite a while before I rode over the pass. Just a light fresh coat of snow from night before, that had already melted off the asphalt.....but made the old snow look bright and shiny on the side of the road.

ToddC

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Well it was 55º but now that my Warm n Safe harness is installed it's now 45º. LLOL

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I figure if the engine oil is changing from liquid to solid it might be too cold. But until then, it's never too cold to ride. Maybe too slippery... but not too cold.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
It was 61F out this morning, It's nice to sit on a warm saddle, early in the morning! :D

Bike
2002 ST1100
The coldest I have ridden a motorcycle was -10 f. That was on my KLR650 commuting about 35 miles to work.
It just doesn't get that cold very often in northern Mississippi.
I will say that riding a snowmobile is somewhat different in that you are generally going much slower, 30-40 mph or slower, with occasional bursts of speed across a lake or something. So you don't have the sustained wind pressure that highway riding would bring. I don't think you would have to kit the bike out with hippo hands, and be well versed in dressing for ultra cold weather.
My friends in Saskatchewan that would ride most of the winter on a Honda Trail 80 was doing so in city traffic. So, fairly slow speed with many stops for lights, etc. on about a 30 minute commute. The big fat tires and light bike made it possible to maintain control until they reached the time of year when the ice starts to develop polished ruts. He could ride about nine months of the year.

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
Yup, if there's no ice (or hideous amounts of slush), I can ride as long as my gear keeps me if not comfortable, at least tolerable.

Used to ride year-round in UK, with time off if things got iced-up (though sometimes rode then too), but now, riding mainly in Florida, it's not a question I have to pay too much attention to.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
It never gets to cold here in west Tennessee to not ride. We may get 2 or 3 days a year with some ice or snow and then it is gone. I did a ride 2 years ago from Memphis to Nashville. It was about 25 degrees all the way going 70 to 75 mph. About a 3 hour ride. The only thing that worried me was when I crossed the Tennessee river on I-40. There was a thick fog that covered the river. The fog froze on my wind screen as soon as it hit the screen as I crossed the river bridge. I let the screen down just so I could see over it and high enough that my helmet shield would not catch any moisture. There was snow on the ground from there on to Nashville. It warmed up and the snow was gone by 2 PM. This was before I got heated gear. I have used the heated gear only once. I was wearing a First Gear Killmanjaro jacket that is hot at 35 degrees on that January morning.

Top Bottom