How cold is too cold to ride?

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
Bikes have always been my hobby not my transportation. I have now been retired for 25 years and before that never had an office job. Always in sales and later my own mom and pop construction equipment rental business. Real cold weather riding sucks. When I retired 25 years ago from So. Ca. to the No. Sierra's I took up snowmobiling and have almost never been cold sledding. A good day in the mountains with sun and fresh powder is at least as good as the best day on a road bike. (well except for the nine days MC photo son Kevin and I did in the Alps ten years ago). So to each his own but I will seldom ride below +40 F.

Ed Wing

DonMac

My backyard
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I found out yesterday, Sunday, 43 degrees F. was my lowest riding temp. Filled Lucille with fresh gas and Stabil tucked her in the garage til spring hooked to the battery tender.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
As always, everyone is different. I don't ride when there is slippery stuff on the pavement. I always pre-ride my usual route to ensure it's clear before taking the bike out on it. (who cares if some side road is covered in ice. I just don't ride on that road). But I haven't found my "Too Cold to Ride" temp yet. So far there's just the too slippery to ride, or need to carry stuff too big to ride, or need to take the cage to the shop so can't ride. But not yet too cold to ride. :grin:
My bike IS my transportation. It doesn't have to be but I choose it to be. Just like all of us chooses our primary mode of transportation. As such, I don't mind adding a few layers to my gear, and stay warmer and more comfortable on my bike than in my cage. I'm an old guy. Not as old as some, but not as young as most. So I want to ride all I can until I can't, then I'll try something else. But until then, I prefer to ride... regardless the temp.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
No really such a thing as too cold to ride, you can be comfortable in any temperature mother nature will hit in the lower limit.

But traction loss... due to frozen precipitation... that keeps the bike at home.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
No really such a thing as too cold to ride, you can be comfortable in any temperature mother nature will hit in the lower limit.

But traction loss... due to frozen precipitation... that keeps the bike at home.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Unless there is ice on the road, it's really no different than riding a snowmoble? People ride snowmobile's in temps way below zero.
My thoughts exactly. I've got tens of thousands of miles on sleds in some very frigid Quebec temps without heated gear. My rule of thumb on the bike is >15 degrees and I'll ride to work. That's about my limit on a 25 mile ride due to feet getting cold. On a day off, its never too cold with heated socks. I won't hassle with the socks for work.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

You must be cold now, you're stuttering.

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
I believe riding a snowmobile in cold weather is nothing like riding a bike in cold weather. On a sled you have the motor in front of you and if sitting your feet are getting a lot of that heat. When boondocking you are climbing all over the sled, it is very physical and then comes the stuck. By the time you get yourself dug out you will be sweating. When street riding you are just sitting there moving your fingers and a little counter steering. Not the same thing at all.

Ed

Bike
ST1300A '10
you really can ride in anything and I pretty much have, from 110++ (Death Valley) to -25F (riding my first KLR home from the dealer). And, to encourage such lunacy, there is a whole host of kit designed to make it more manageable from cooling vests, heated gloves, hydration packs etc, etc. That said, you sort of have to ask yourself why? On the cold end, once I'm kitted out to handle prolonged below freezing conditions I always feel like I'm in a space suit. Similarly, no matter what you wear, sustained 100F plus will wear you out too & both extremes will get the better of you if you don't monitor things carefully. These days I pretty much only do extremes if I'm a very long way from home & the route requires it. Even then, would not take big, top-heavy touring out in icy conditions. That's what snow mobiles (and Ural's) are for.

I guess for me the answer depends on what I'm riding and how far. On the shadow with the windshield it's in the mid 40's for a couple of miles. On the Magna with no windshield it's about the same, a few degrees warmer is nice. On the ST1300? Haven't found the lower limit yet. But then again I've only owned it for 3 days! Oh, and I live in SC....

Bike
2005 ST1300
My kids took my car, I only have my ST. I agree with everyone on the "ice" issue. Cold is almost never the problem. Lack of traction is the ride stopper for me. I have to beg a ride on those days. Otherwise each day is a ride not drive day. :dr13:

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I found my limit was about 22 degrees (pre heated gear). The reason for the limit was it was early in the AM and still dark. About 1/2 way through my 10 mile commute my visor started fogging up. I pop it open and wipe the glove across it to clear it, it's ice. So I try my defrosters. Close the visor and give a nice warm breath of air to "melt" the ice. Found out that just creates more frozen area and I can now see nothing! So I open the visor all the way and drop down the tinted sun screen to cover my eyes. Lower half of the face now exposed to 22 degree air traveling at 40 mph. Made it to work, just took a little while to thaw the jaw out.

Top Bottom