Breeze Constant tension clamps - Still working for you?

Bike
2006 ST1300
I thought I had fixed the coolant leaks for good last summer but now with the heat/colds cycles of an Ohio winter the leaks are back. I'm getting ready to replace all of my hose clamps w/ Breeze Constant tension clamps. With the necessity of removing the throttle bodies this will be the deepest dive I've made in disassembling my ST. Before I start I was wondering how these have held up over a couple of years. Do they really stop the leaks for good? Is the stated torque spec sufficient? Also, I'm trying to not make this a yearly event so is there anything else I should replace while I'm in there? I have a turbo-tom thermostat that I'm considering putting in though the original therostat is working just fine. I'm also considering replacing the hoses just cause I'll be in there. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Oh yea, it's an 06 w/ 35k miles.

K

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
First thing, throw the TT T-stat away and use a new OEM unit. I've had Breeze clamps on my bike for a few years now, with no leaks, however, DON'T just put breeze clamps on the old hoses!
The oem hoses are narrow and leave a memory or footprint, the hose then swells up next to the oem band, then if you attempt to install breeze clamps (wider) over this area, I've been discovering that the wider breeze clamps can/may cause the hose to tear and separate apart on the inside, causing ruptured lines and hose failures. The breeze clamps are overkill to say the least, however, when used with NEW hoses, they do seem to be a one time fix, until you have to replace the hoses from fatigue. As far as the specs go, If my memory serves me, its 45 inch pounds. A couple sights have different torque values, but that could be because come hoses are on Steel fittings and some on Alluminum etc. I like to tighten them until the washers just compress and the tail is extended out the other side of the housing on the clamp (per instructions).
And lastly, you DO NOT need to remove the throttle bodies to replace the hoses or clamps. If you PM me or call me on the white courtesy phone, I can describe in better detail how to do it from the front of the bike.
Igofar

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
K-
+1 on not removing the throttle bodies... it is doable from the front by removing the radiator. You can see how I did it in post #32 here; https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?38212-ST1300-1st-Significant-Service-Coolant-Thermostat-Starter-Valve-Synch-amp-Other&p=1243193&viewfull=1#post1243193

I used the breeze clamps on my used hoses with no issues... they're still not leaking after 2 years. :yes: But with your bike at 7 years old, no reason NOT to have new hoses to install. I would replace mine if I did it now (solely because of age of the hoses).

I too would replace the thermostat ... you've got it open and the thermostat is cheap. I'd not hesitate to use a TT (Turbo Tom)... mine has been no problem. But also, the Honda thermostats have largely outgrown their original problems with sticking and I'd have no problem putting one of those in.

:)

Byron

STOC #
If your current thermostat is working why replace it at all; if it's not broke don't replace it. As far as throwing away the Turbo-Tom unit I say go ahead it you like throwing away money. There is nothing wrong with his units.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
If your current thermostat is working why replace it at all; if it's not broke don't replace it. As far as throwing away the Turbo-Tom unit I say go ahead it you like throwing away money. There is nothing wrong with his units.
I've seen a brand new one installed and fail in less than two weeks.
If I want to purchase a thermostate that is "approx the same overall size" and "fits in the hole" ok, made in a third world country, for a 62' VW beetle, that was purchased for 45 cents, then sold for $20 dollars, I'll keep that in mind. :rofl1:
No disrespect intended towards Tom.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
K-
+1 on not removing the throttle bodies... it is doable from the front by removing the radiator. You can see how I did it in post #32 here; https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?38212-ST1300-1st-Significant-Service-Coolant-Thermostat-Starter-Valve-Synch-amp-Other&p=1243193&viewfull=1#post1243193

I used the breeze clamps on my used hoses with no issues... they're still not leaking after 2 years. :yes: But with your bike at 7 years old, no reason NOT to have new hoses to install. I would replace mine if I did it now (solely because of age of the hoses).

I too would replace the thermostat ... you've got it open and the thermostat is cheap. I'd not hesitate to use a TT (Turbo Tom)... mine has been no problem. But also, the Honda thermostats have largely outgrown their original problems with sticking and I'd have no problem putting one of those in.

:)
Great pictures! thanks for posting that.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Mine are still leak-free. I installed all but the hard-to-reach one five years ago and the hard one four years ago.

Proper torque is important.

--Mark

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am still leak free at 117,000 miles with OEM clamps and hoses. I live in temperate climate FL. All I did was snug the clamps a couple times during regular maintenance. I used a nut driver on a flexible spring handle to reach the hard ones behind the thermostat housing. The trick in my opinion is to resist the temptation to over tighten the clamps during maintenance and crush the hose beyond resilency.

OP
OP
ST_korn
Bike
2006 ST1300
Everyone thank you for the info. Igofar and BakerBoy thanks for the tip to keep from removing the throttle bodies. I'm going to place an order and get the various consumable parts and go for it. My garage is unheated so hopefully it will warm enough in a week or two to do it. Haven't been able to get the ST out but I've had a blast in the snow on our 4-wheeler.

OP
OP
ST_korn
Bike
2006 ST1300
After installing breeze clamps on several bikes per their request, I'm finally starting to agree with you on the tightening of the oem clamps at each service. A. Its much easier to simple check and snug. B. You don't have to worry about damage to a worn out hose created by a wider clamp. and C. You're gonna be in there changing coolant or T-stats anually anyway, just check and tighten them then. The breeze clamps will work IF you install them with NEW hoses, but are turning out to be overkill. For the folks that never want to do maintenance they may be their answer, but like you, I'm finding it easier just to follow your lead until hose replacement is needed. I'm a little slow learning sometimes :shrug2:
The trick might also be living in a place that doesn't drop to single digits regularly. :) I had the tupperware off twice last year and tightened the hose clamps but as soon as it hit single digits for 3 or 4 days I saw leaks. I thought about tightening them when it was that cold but I couldn't bring myself to sit on the cold concrete floor. I also just thought about leaving them alone and seeing if it leaks in the spring. But... doesn't maintenance = love?

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
What the heck? where did my post go? The one time I agree with Mr. DD :D
I would agree that in cold temps like that you may be better off with constant tension clamps or better yet, gates heat shrink type bands.
Nobody likes sitting on cold cement and working.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I have the breeze clamps on my 07 ST 1300 which were put on with new hoses at 100,000 miles along with a new Honda thermostat. The hoses with age start seeping inside out near the clamps first. No leaks for me so far with the new clamps and hoses. They are not that much money and would be a good piece of mind not to have to worry about a leak.

Byron

STOC #
I've seen a brand new one installed and fail in less than two weeks.
If I want to purchase a thermostate that is "approx the same overall size" and "fits in the hole" ok, made in a third world country, for a 62' VW beetle, that was purchased for 45 cents, then sold for $20 dollars, I'll keep that in mind. :rofl1:
No disrespect intended towards Tom.
I'm not saying that any part, no matter how good can't fail so if you had a Turbo-City thermostat fail I'll take your word for it. However, if I'm not mistaken Tom would replace it free if it was brought to his attention. He went to the trouble of finding a replacement for the OEM thermostat that was failing in great numbers and Honda would not warranty or even recognize as a failure. He guarantied his thermostat. Don't even talk about where the part was sourced unless you have the facts. Take a look at the sticker on the main wiring harness and you will find it manufactured in China. After using the emoticon you used how can you say "No disrespect intended towards Tom."?

Maybe I'll just shut up now before I say something that will get me banned.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I'm not saying that any part, no matter how good can't fail so if you had a Turbo-City thermostat fail I'll take your word for it. However, if I'm not mistaken Tom would replace it free if it was brought to his attention. He went to the trouble of finding a replacement for the OEM thermostat that was failing in great numbers and Honda would not warranty or even recognize as a failure. He guarantied his thermostat. Don't even talk about where the part was sourced unless you have the facts. Take a look at the sticker on the main wiring harness and you will find it manufactured in China. After using the emoticon you used how can you say "No disrespect intended towards Tom."?

Maybe I'll just shut up now before I say something that will get me banned.
No need for either of us to get banned. as far as my source...that would be Tom. After emails and talking to him on the phone he explained that he tried to find a replacement t-stat and admitted that the source was from a couple different places, one was India If I remember correctly. As far as fitment, there was no thought or science put into that as far as temps. etc. It was chosen because it was close to the same size, even though they looked completely different. When I cross referenced his information and part number it came back to an early model VW Beetle. If I remember correctly, he decided to stop selling them because of several failures, and it was not cost effective for him.
Kudo's for him for trying to help us solve a problem we were having at the time, but I think I'll stay with what the mfgr. recommends in that fitment.
I used the emoticon because I've heard various statements on this forum that "he had them custom built", "specially built to his specifications", "will outlast the bike" etc.
There is just alot of folklore about his thermostates that I think is funny that everyone thinks they were so special.
I will attempt to refrain from using emoticon's in the future when I am making a reference towards a person who is not involved in the thread.
Is that better?

But again, this is just what he said.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Well just some more opinions to stir things up some more.

-Clamps: The common worm clamps Honda used are also used on the majority of cages on the road. Installed correctly, they should not leak, period. I found a couple that weren't quite snug enough when I did my t-stat and cooling system service at the spring of 2011, snugged them, and now- over 55k miles later, over 80k on the bike, ridden in temps from 100+ to -19f, there has never been a leak. Volvo and Saab have used constant tension clamps for their turbo tubes, and they have to be replaced often because the springs break. I always replace them with quality worm clamps, and have never had to replace one again. I prefer to have one less possible component which could fail (the spring).

-T-Stats: I couldn't care less where they are made. Having worked as a GM & Chrysler tech at different times, I have seen those American brands with China, India, Korea, and Brazil on labels for factory replacement t-stats. Considering our very own Honda t-stats are the ones which were sticking (could have been the paint many suspect, or could have been the t-stat itself), I really don't think we should be praising Honda's t-stats over someone else's. Oh, and as for source...doubtful they were from an early beetle, as those were air cooled and had no t-stat. Possibly another VW from the 70s, when liquid cooled models first came out; or for the later New Beetle.

-Many parts interchange as cost-savings measures, even by OEMs. My Honda lawn tractor uses the same oil filter as many Honda cars.

I happened to use an OEM t-stat for the replacement only because it got here first (thanks to Blrfl) for a trip i was taking, otherwise I would have used the t-tom one I had ordered, and not lost sleep over it. I sold that one to another member, and haven't heard of any issues with it.

If you have leaks make sure the original clamps are tight enough; that the hoses aren't starting to dry and split/crack; and that the metal the hoses go over isn't corroded. Also make sure the hoses haven't softened up from age, which can lead to small leaks.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Anything can fail at any time, even OEM. We had to put an engine in a Chevy truck with 8 miles on it, hadn't even been sold yet. How many posts have there been on here about bad OEM t-stats?

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Clamps: The common worm clamps Honda used are also used on the majority of cages on the road.
I know you spend a lot of your life with your face under the hoods of cars, but the two in my garage and the three or four that came before them have all had wire spring clamps in the cooling system and worm gear clamps holding the sections of the air intake together. (Rayzerman had some useful information on that subject in another thread.) The last car I owned with worm gear clamps in the cooling system was a 1975 Plymouth.

I also know that some people balk at the price tag, and that's fine. For me, the benefits of not having to watch for leaks and not having to re-visit the cooling system have far outweighed the $25 cost for the clamps and the value of the time I spent putting them in.

Installed correctly, they should not leak, period.
Except that they do, and I have to go on the assumption that Honda installs the clamps correctly at the factory. After four applications (one at the factory, one at the STealer, one done to "yeah, that feels tight enough" and one done at the proper torque) resulted in leaks, I decided a constant-dimension clamp wasn't the right tool for the job and switched to constant-tension.

Volvo and Saab have used constant tension clamps for their turbo tubes, and they have to be replaced often because the springs break.
What style clamps were they using? I have a hard time seeing Belleville springs failing without being subjected to abuse they'd never see under the hood of a car.

--Mark

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Is it me or is there a lot of "tension" (pun intended) on the board lately? I think everyone is going stir crazy this winter.

OP
OP
ST_korn
Bike
2006 ST1300
Is it me or is there a lot of "tension" (pun intended) on the board lately? I think everyone is going stir crazy this winter.
I think you hit the nail on the head! It's like my therapist is on vacation for another 6 weeks. Next year I'll have my old XL350r rehabbed so I can ride all winter.

K

Top Bottom