3 bones removed

Bike
2006 ST1300
Man I'm glad I didn't have to go through anything as severe as what some of you have had! Mine turned out to be very minor- not sure of the technical terms, but basically the triangular cartilage in my right wrist was frayed and blown out some. Minor surgery got the crud cleaned out so it could heal faster. Pain was much less immediately, and gaining daily.

I was trying to prepare myself for the worse...sure glad I didn't have to go through major surgery like some of you. I'll be hoping for a fast(er?) recovery for you Papa!

OP
OP
Papa

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Hmm, and I bet you have some pretty 'interesting' scars like me ... ;-) I still have 'dead' spots on the back of my hands where some nerves got cut in the process back in 2003. But it is amazing what they can 'repair' these days! If it wasn't for repairs, I'd probably be in a wheelchair by now with little use of my arms and hands.
Seems like it's never the same even after the "repairs". I have 30 degrees flex down, 32 degrees up. They say that's the best I can expect but the pain will improve. Thanks for the well wishes.

OP
OP
Papa

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
I asked the doc if there was anything I could do that would cause further injury and he said "no".
I don't wanna say he lied, but that's not true. :(

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Seems like it's never the same even after the "repairs". I have 30 degrees flex down, 32 degrees up. They say that's the best I can expect but the pain will improve. Thanks for the well wishes.
No, but hopefully better than without the repairs. ;-) I used to envy folks that could run til I got where I started envying people that could walk! I still can't run (I used to be a pretty serious runner) but at least I can walk now without pain. For me, my other 'hand' surgery option was to fuse the wrist bones which meant no motorcycle riding and no piano playing because the wrist would have no bend in it at all. My doc told me it would take about a year before I knew for sure if the experimental surgery would work. It was looooong year, I can tell you. With knee replacements, it's about 2 years before things get back to where you don't think about them. Hopefully you will begin to seem some progress and relief as your body gets over what was done to it. The old body sure don't like it when someone messes with it's 'hard parts'! ;-)

OP
OP
Papa

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
My first experience in losing "hard parts" and much improvement to date. Experience is the best teacher and I appreciate others advice that have been there before me.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
No suggestions, just good luck and hope you recover as much movement as possible! :pray1:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Papa - Glad the 'procedure' has helped you. Some orthopedic stuff works and some of it doesn't. I'm just glad they can do repairs on older models like us ... :D The headlights are a little dim, the windows don't roll up quite right, the doors hang a little loose on the hinges - but the motor still runs great and the transmission still shifts! ;-)

OP
OP
Papa

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Papa - Glad the 'procedure' has helped you. Some orthopedic stuff works and some of it doesn't. I'm just glad they can do repairs on older models like us ... :D The headlights are a little dim, the windows don't roll up quite right, the doors hang a little loose on the hinges - but the motor still runs great and the transmission still shifts! ;-)
Thanks UP. Not so sure about my transmission though,, ha! I rode my bike for the first time this year yesterday, just down the road and back, methinks a STOC event is in the near future. I had no clue this would be such a long road back.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Papa - I'm going through a few 'back' glitches right now, but the chiropractor is helping a lot. I've got a lower vertebra that has 'overstepped' the one beneath (quite interesting looking at the x-ray). Hopefully we can get it all back in place without any cutting and whacking! Just remember – some men have tattoos, real men have scars!!! :D

OP
OP
Papa

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
No suggestions, just good luck and hope you recover as much movement as possible! :pray1:
Thank you Bob. Grip strength is improving, plenty of motion to throttle the Beast, so I am blessed.

OP
OP
Papa

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Man I'm glad I didn't have to go through anything as severe as what some of you have had! Mine turned out to be very minor- not sure of the technical terms, but basically the triangular cartilage in my right wrist was frayed and blown out some. Minor surgery got the crud cleaned out so it could heal faster. Pain was much less immediately, and gaining daily.

I was trying to prepare myself for the worse...sure glad I didn't have to go through major surgery like some of you. I'll be hoping for a fast(er?) recovery for you Papa!
Thank you Sir.

OP
OP
Papa

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
My doctor died of a massive heart attack about two years after my surgery. He was 50 years old and taking a shower at the hospital after surgery.
At least you survived.

OP
OP
Papa

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
This is sort of similar to the bone spurs that I've had in both of my big toes. Pain like an ice pick shoved deep inside. Fusion was not considered as an option for me - I wanted flexibility. I've now had both of them sheared off at the top of the joint and life is much better and less painful.

Suggestion 1: do the PT and flex till you can't stand the pain and then go a little further. Keep tearing away at that scar tissue. The results will be better movement and likely less pain when it is healed. I always try to go above and beyond the suggested PT - this usually works well for me.

Suggestion 2: find a Chinese or Oriental market - look for Wood Lock Oil - Wong Tu Yick brand if they have it. It should be about $8-$10 a bottle. Think of this as liquid aspirin. I always have some in my tank bag or somewhere on the bike. Really helps ease the pain without pain pills. One bottle will usually last months.

Suggestion 3: lots of exercise to keep the joint limber and growing stronger. Expect 1.5-2 years before everything is healed enough to stop hurting. That has been my average on rehab to relative pain free living.
So far Randy, that's been spot on. They didn't tell me it would be 12-24 months till complete healing until this summer.

Bike
ST1300
So far Randy, that's been spot on. They didn't tell me it would be 12-24 months till complete healing until this summer.
Sometimes they set your expectations short so you won't be disappointed. If my experience is anything to go by things still get better 10 years later. Keep doing what the experts tell you - and if they say you can't do too much then take them at their word. I had a brachial plexus injury with substantial amounts of titanium in my arm and nerve grafts. Couldn't use my arm for over 6 months. They said I would be extremely lucky if I got 60% functionality back but I've got well over 90%. You can get resistance balls made out of a gel/rubber substance for physio for hand grip and finger flexing. They come in varying resistances and are also good stress relievers. Use Bio Oil for reducing scarring and helping skin stretch. Do tasks which test the limits of your functionailty (within the bounds of safety) - especially do things requiring manual dexterity and strength - take up the guitar or piano. Even with three plates, 17 screws and nerve grafts in my elbow and forearm as well as a broken knuckle I can now ride motorbikes, climb (and fell) trees, do a full days gardening/landscaping, lay bricks, type at 60-70wpm (spelling's still rubbish though!), surf, throw my kids about and do virtually everything I did before. The pain may never go - but you will probably just get used to it - I have. Do what you can and smile - you can't change what has already happened, just improve what is to come.
Best of luck. Keep smiling and keep riding.

OP
OP
Papa

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
While you are looking for feedback from someone who has dealt with it...I'm looking for feedback from you if you have any.
Ok, a couple of years down the road and I can report at this time, it's the best thing I think I could have done. I have as much flexibility as my other wrist, no pain unless I do intensive work for a period of time, but even then, it's no worse than the left wrist. Actually, my left bothers me more at times than the right.

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
I have as much flexibility as my other wrist, no pain unless I do intensive work for a period of time
Glen if your "wrist work" takes both hands maybe I will come camping with you after all! :D

Glad your doing better.

Top Bottom