Buy Thermostat?

Besides the dealer / Honda is there any other place to buy thermostat? It looks like Turbo City quit carrying theirs. Any after market better than oem? :06biker:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Nope, but if you find one let me know. I've replaced thermostats on both ST's I've owned. Seems to be standard practice for me to buy a bike that needs a stat.

st1300doug

Just bought mine from Hondaonline.com The OEM thermo & gasket was around $48 total. Came in 4 days. Putting it in WHEN the 6 in. of snow stops coming down.....uuuugh!

Last edited by a moderator:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
As a point of info the OEM thermostats in bikes to 2007 or 2008 quite often fail before 25,000 miles but it seems Honda replacement units do not fail and are long lived. There may be a few instances of a second one going bad but very rare.

Just replaced my ST 1300 thermostat with one that fits a 1994 S-10 Chevy Blazer with a 4.3 liter V6 engine engine code W it is the multi point injection not the throttle body-----part # at O'Reillys is MCS 15848 ----$8.99 I think------I drilled a small air bleed hole at the top----took her for a short ride in 50 degree weather and it stayed at 3 bars----have not tried it in hot weather yet but should be fine----it is a 180 degree thermostat which is what the mcs 15848 is---I think ones from other auto part places should work also ---- just get one for the above auto--Mike

Bike
Vstrom 650
I replaced mine with one for an early 80's Honda civic IIRC as advised on here, cost new ?5, the oem from the dealer was around ?50.

Byron

STOC #
Before buying any old thermostat that fits the hole here are a few things to consider.

The factory thermostat is an offset bypass type which actually controls the water to the radiator and the bypass. Thermostats without the bypass valve will alway allow water through the bypass regardless of engine temperature and thermostat open or closed. The jiggle pin is there to allow air to escape the system when filling.

My original was replaced years ago by a TCI thermostat and is still working fine. I've made some measurements of it:

Flange diameter = 44MM or 1.733"
Bypass valve diameter = 28MM or 1.107"
From base of flange to contact face of bypass valve = 37MM or 1.456"
It is rated at 82 degree C or 180 F

I've found a few that are close but as yet no cigars. One of the things I'm missing is the depth of the housing to the bypass hole and the diameter of the bypass hole itself. Because the bypass valve is spring loaded there may be some give in the valve distance from the flange. Also, depending on the hole diameter something smaller may work. This just reminded me, I also need the diameter of the bypass chamber in case a larger valve may fit.

If someone can provide these numbers I'll see if I can locate a suitable part. I'm also going to try contacting MotoRad who was supplying the part for TCI. The part number on the box does not come up when searching their site. Searching is also slow because a lot of time dimensions are not provided and deeper searching is required as well as cross referencing.

FYI - The factory O-ring is listed as 43.5 x 2

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I thought I remember reading the the TT thermostats were something he found that fit a VW?

Byron

STOC #
Well here is one of the close ones.

TT327-180.JPG

I just don't know if the bottom valve is to small for the hole it has to seal.

What are the side effects of putting in one without the bypass----I just went for a 50 mile ride @ 65 degree temp and it stayed at 3 bars at 70 mph or 40 mph---I ordered a regular Honda one but just want to know the downside to the atomotive thermostat---------thanks Mike

Hi all ,
Sorry to reignite this thread but ...
Being new to ST's - I have a 2007 (model is 2006 if I have the believe the VIN number) - with 32K (Km not Miles) on the odometer. I plan to replace the radiator this coming winter ~ previous owner regularly drove behind a salt truck judging by the pitted front fork and rusty nuts and bolts at the front end - but especially the radiator lower 20% is really pulped up . Plan to also replace the stat as recommended by most all ST owners (while at it). So just out of interest, I don't mind if I need to shell out a bit more money and get something in that works for the next 60K (Km). I'm slightly puzzled why this bike is so pestered by this problem . Is it endemic (structural issue related to how the cooling system is designed) or just a bad initial badge of factory stats ? Any recommendations for EU based Pan riders ? (I order a lot of stuff from UK or Germany but US is not tax exempted for me - so I'd end up paying a small fortune ordering kit across the big blue)

Thx a mill.

Rover

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I think Honda must have used a supplier, originally (2002 to about 2006), that was producing inferior tstats. Any Honda tstat you order now is likely to not have an issue.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I think Honda must have used a supplier, originally (2002 to about 2006), that was producing inferior tstats. Any Honda tstat you order now is likely to not have an issue.
My 2007 thermostat went bad and stuck open, got it replaced under warranty at 108,000 miles.

Byron

STOC #
Hi all ,
Sorry to reignite this thread but ...
Being new to ST's - I have a 2007 (model is 2006 if I have the believe the VIN number) - with 32K (Km not Miles) on the odometer. I plan to replace the radiator this coming winter ~ previous owner regularly drove behind a salt truck judging by the pitted front fork and rusty nuts and bolts at the front end - but especially the radiator lower 20% is really pulped up . Plan to also replace the stat as recommended by most all ST owners (while at it). So just out of interest, I don't mind if I need to shell out a bit more money and get something in that works for the next 60K (Km). I'm slightly puzzled why this bike is so pestered by this problem . Is it endemic (structural issue related to how the cooling system is designed) or just a bad initial badge of factory stats ? Any recommendations for EU based Pan riders ? (I order a lot of stuff from UK or Germany but US is not tax exempted for me - so I'd end up paying a small fortune ordering kit across the big blue)

Thx a mill.

Rover
If it is working fine now then I say leave it alone. I also say if it buys you peace of mind and you have the funds then replace it while things are apart. I just wouldn't go to any extra effort to replace it if you don't have to.

Ah , I see - I'm somewhere in between replacing it and leaving it alone - I have to unfortunately shell out 580 hard earned Euros anyhow to replace the radiator (quite expensive piece so I will also install a guard and clean it regularly unlike the previous owner) ...so another 48 Euro's won't kill me I reckon. thx again all.
Rover

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Ah , I see - I'm somewhere in between replacing it and leaving it alone - I have to unfortunately shell out 580 hard earned Euros anyhow to replace the radiator (quite expensive piece so I will also install a guard and clean it regularly unlike the previous owner) ...so another 48 Euro's won't kill me I reckon. thx again all.
Rover
This is the one I have that works and looks great http://www.st1300-accessories.co.uk/st1300_radiator_grille.html

Top Bottom