2012 V-Strom 650 Test Ride

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, I was in a state of depression over not being able to make the Big Bend Bash...

so, I took a V-Strom 650 ABS for a test ride. My expectations were very low even though others that have had both the 650 and ST have said it's a great bike.

Wow, what a fun and light bike! The one thing I liked about my short ownership of the Super Tenere was the 150lb difference between the S10 and ST.. well, subtract an additional 100 lbs and you have the V-Strom.

I just may have to get the bike as a 2nd bike... It was that much fun.

Bike
2006 ST1300
They ARE fun! And with some tweaking, they can be even more fun. For example, they cheaped out on the suspension for the 650, but parts from the 1000 can be swapped over to really improve it. There are a HUGE selection of luggage available, from small stylish bags to huge adventure-style panniers (what I like). Get the adjustable windshield mount, and look into a better windshield for a little more weather protection.

One thing that is similar to the ST...they last forever, with few reports of anyone actually wearing one out. They are made to be ridden hard and will get you home after.

I'm still wishing I was in a better position when I test rode one last year. It was offered to me at $7200, with a deal going on for the luggage dirt cheap.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I am sure that will be a fun bike to have, Jeff (1129vld) loves his V-Storm 650 so much his ST is still siting in the garage waiting to be repaired.

Well post lots of pictures of the new bike! :D

My bet is it will be in the garage by Monday!

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Here you go Joe. For your enjoyment.

OK Everybody. Post pictures of you Wee Strom so Joe has something to look at while he works. (works???)

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Joe,
They are a fun bike, relatively inexpensive, a plethora of farkles available, and very durable. My daughter and I got one last spring and really enjoy it. Not really a single track off road bike but very capable of gravel, dirt/forestry roads. Except for the wind/weather protection being a bit scant, it is OK on the highway although it is no ST for long distance.

DL650.jpeg

Rod

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #
And for more of the continuing saga of Mellow's hunt for his perfect Dual Sport ride!!!.. hehe

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Having ridden one, they are great bikes... friends of mine keep trying to get me to buy one so I can join them in places the ST doesn't like ( gravel roads )

Bike
2006 ST1300
Joe,
They are a fun bike, relatively inexpensive, a plethora of farkles available, and very durable. My daughter and I got one last spring and really enjoy it. Not really a single track off road bike but very capable of gravel, dirt/forestry roads. Except for the wind/weather protection being a bit scant, it is OK on the highway although it is no ST for long distance.

DL650.jpeg

Rod
THAT is the look I like...pure FUNCTION! Its obvious its been around the block, seen some sights, and is ready for the next big adventure!

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
THAT is the look I like...pure FUNCTION! Its obvious its been around the block, seen some sights, and is ready for the next big adventure!
Unfortunately, the "look" is mainly due to the previous owner. However, we have put about 10,000 miles on the bike, mainly gravel and forestry roads here in Alberta and BC. She uses it for camping and accessing climbing sites and general back country touring. I am thinking seriously of heading to Alaska with it. I know it is going to get chipped and scraped up but that just adds to the patina. What we really need to do is take some dirt/gravel riding lessons (in the works) first before we get too adventurous with it. I am surprised at how stable it is on gravel roads. Sure it moves around but once you get used to it, no problem. Deep gravel and sand are another matter though:( Need to practice that a bit (OK, a LOT) more.

Rod

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Joe - My best riding buddy has one and we found that if we stayed below 70 mph, his fuel range was very similiar to the range on my ST1100 when we went out west on a long trip. (Buyer beware - he's a lot skinnier than I am and I have something wrong with the throttles on my ST1100s. ;-)) Once you get up past that, the bluntness of the front end really seemed to whack the mileage.

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #
Well I'm not good with peer pressure.
Yeah, there was a whole lotta arm twisting going on. :roll:

That is a nice bike. When I saw and sat one at the recent IMS, it made me reconsider (briefly) my choice. And that color looks really good in person.

-STeve

Top Bottom