2012 V-Strom 650 Test Ride

bps

aka G Jetson
Bike
2013 VStrom 650
STOC #
I loved my ST, and the only real issue I had was the weight. I felt I'd be open to a lighter weight bike, but wouldn't be interested in a bike that didn't have similar performance. I was considering a C14 (obviously only slightly lighter) , and looked at others (Yammie FZ's, Triumph Tigers, and BMW's, but ended up with a 2013 DL650. Totally different bikes, go figure. I had read a lot about the bike and most comments had been that the 650 didn't feel underpowered, and I took a test ride with this thought. On my first real acceleration, I was actually disappointed in the power, but that lasted about 30 seconds. It has adequate power pretty much everywhere but at highway speeds. Don't get me wrong, it'll get you around that truck, but not like the ST. However, The bike was just plain fun to ride. It wasn't slow, it was comfortable (more comfortable than the ST to me in stock form), and handled really well. The engine is smooth, but not V4 smooth. Just seems a really good bike. I do sometimes miss the twist the throttle immediate response with the ST, and the wind management, but I think I'm going to be really happy with the Vstrom. I never thought I'd be happy w/65hp as my only bike.

Bernard

Bike
Vstrom 650
Just had my St1100 and Vfr 800 fi out for back to back runs and theres no way I'm selling either of those,so the vstrom is going to be bike number 3!! getting a bit ridiculous but we pass this way only once,might as well try and enjoy it while we can.
She needs a centre stand,probably a chain and sprocket kit as well,16500 miles done on the original so I'm sure its well shot. also will need tyres in a few thousand miles so gotta figure that cost into it too. now if I can reach a compromise with the seller for a cash sale I'll be in business.
So I'd have a top class touring bike,a vfr for when I feel like blasting through the twisties and the vstrom for the mountain and forest roads.
Life is good.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Just had my St1100 and Vfr 800 fi out for back to back runs and theres no way I'm selling either of those,so the vstrom is going to be bike number 3!! getting a bit ridiculous but we pass this way only once,might as well try and enjoy it while we can.
She needs a centre stand,probably a chain and sprocket kit as well,16500 miles done on the original so I'm sure its well shot. also will need tyres in a few thousand miles so gotta figure that cost into it too. now if I can reach a compromise with the seller for a cash sale I'll be in business.
So I'd have a top class touring bike,a vfr for when I feel like blasting through the twisties and the vstrom for the mountain and forest roads.
Life is good.
After you get the V-STrom and have done some back country dirt roads and trails, You are going to want to go even further on some 4x4 trails etc. You will be looking for a real dual sport bike. ie for example a DR650 or DRZ400 Then you will have four bikes in the garage. It is a never ending process.:D

May I recommend Shinko 705 tires for your soon to be V-STrom

Last edited:
Bike
Vstrom 650
Bike
2003 ST1300
And for more of the continuing saga of Mellow's hunt for his perfect Dual Sport ride!!!.. hehe
I was at the Seattle IMS show yesterday and compared the Vstrom to the BMW GS800 and the KLR and DR650. Each had it's own deficits. The GS800 had marshmellow suspension, the DR650 also needed suspension work. The WeeStrom had good suspension, but felt big compared to all else. Then I sat on a KTM 690 Duke. This is what every thumper hopes to be when they grow up. The problem was the 690 Enduro has a super weegie seat, and the Duke is a comfortable sadde. If you re-routed the below the engine expansion chamber from the Duke, and put in a skid plate and something resembling a windshield, you'd beat all the others by a wide margin. Also the Duke 690 has 50 HP, more than enough for that very enticing bike. Just my 2 cents, STreaker.

Bike
Vstrom 650
After you get the V-STrom and have done some back country dirt roads and trails, You are going to want to go even further on some 4x4 trails etc. You will be looking for a real dual sport bike. ie for example a DR650 or DRZ400 Then you will have four bikes in the garage. It is a never ending process.:D

May I recommend Shinko 705 tires for your soon to be V-STrom
Can't rem now why I didn't go ahead and get that vstrom 2 years ago, but I finally picked one up now, 2013 bike,well farkled up by the previous owner, it's got fairly new road based tyres,michelin anakee 3 on at the minute, absolutely love the bike, ideal for the country roads here. just need some half decent weather now. I'll try posting a pic later.

515_converted.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Just was rode down to Romney WV this past weekend...buddy rode his Wee ( 650 ).
Was surprised how capable the bike was on the trip from NY down on the interstates.... he had no problem staying with the ST.

He also owns a 1000, but seems to like the 650 better

Bike
Vstrom 650
These type of roads near where I live really suit the v strom, taken near Ardara Co.Donegal, v strom heaven.

012.jpg

Top Bottom