2012 V-Strom 650 Test Ride

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
Randy aka Treemuncher is doing that... Yeah, I may just take this bike there.
Congrats on the new ride but look out, DParker really loves that color. She might be chasing after you?!!??

I had a blast for the 6 months or so that I had the '07 Wee. I was told several times by my local BMW riders that I was much faster through the corners on the Wee than on the ST1300 when on pavement. Gravel roads; few were keeping up with me when I led group rides. I was always waiting at the intersections for everyone else to catch up if "I was feelin' it" that day. That little bike is a total blast to ride!

Madstad bracket should be farkle #1 to stop the buffeting.

I do have an aftermarket shield for the '07 Wee. It is a Manta if you or anyone else has an interest in it. DParker does not use it, she's happy with the stock shield.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Agree, Madstad bracket #1. And IMO, #2 farkle is mirror extenders... move the mirrors further out and some of the buffeting to the shoulders and head is reduced.

Bike
2010 Honda NT700V
2009 DL650 I bought last Sept with 85 miles on it.

Farkles:
SW Motech center stand
Sargent saddle
Battery Voltage monitor
Hyperlites running/brake lights
SW Motech mirror extensions
SW Motech sidestand foot
Cee Bailey windshield
PWD chainguard
PWD crash bars/skid plate/highway pegs
Kaoko throttle control
Bags Connection tank and tail bags
SW Motech luggage rack and rack extension
Twisted Throttle Powerblock
12V SAE connection for Battery Tender/Heated Gear
Hyperlites Hyperwhite front running lights
SW Motech light bar

Yet to install:
Richland Rick fork brace and peg lowering kit
12V Accessory plug on handlebar
Denali LED lights
Saddle bags and mounts & Top Case

Last edited:

scootac

Will Ride for Food
I'm going to put my name at the top of the list for when Joe moves on to YET ANOTHER bike and is ready to sell this one!:D
Right now,,, a DR650 would be a nice complement to my ST.
But if/when the ST goes,,, this bike is on the very short list as the replacement.
Gravel/dirt road friendly, plenty of farkles out there, lighter and perfect for one rider.
Might not be the best for Interstate travel,,,, but 2 lane roads rule!:)

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm going to put my name at the top of the list for when Joe moves on to YET ANOTHER bike and is ready to sell this one!:D
Right now,,, a DR650 would be a nice complement to my ST.
But if/when the ST goes,,, this bike is on the very short list as the replacement.
Gravel/dirt road friendly, plenty of farkles out there, lighter and perfect for one rider.
Might not be the best for Interstate travel,,,, but 2 lane roads rule!:)
LOL.. You'll be the 1st to know if that happens. It would match your avatar nicely.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Farkle it out nice, don't put many miles on it, and in 5-6 years when it's all depreciated,,, let me know!

Like you'll still have it in 5-6 years.:D

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Joe, congrats on the new Wee.

The 05 I had was a blast to do twistys on. I change the windscreen and seat as #1 & 2. Everyone has different preferences though. That seat was only good for 50-75 miles for me.

Enjoy the new ride :)

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hey Joe, did you consider the "Adventure" model, and what made you decide on the non-Adventure? So you can decide on the luggage, etc?
Yeah but I don't like the traxx bags, the ones I bought for the super tenere were not very good quality. I think some pelican/storm cases would be better.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Yeah but I don't like the traxx bags, the ones I bought for the super tenere were not very good quality. I think some pelican/storm cases would be better.
Well, I'm jealous! I've been looking at these for quite a while. Got to get a car paid off first though...Have fun with it!

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
Congrats Joe. The V-Strom will be my next bike. Did you find a big price difference between the 2012's and the 13's ?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Congrats Joe. The V-Strom will be my next bike. Did you find a big price difference between the 2012's and the 13's ?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
The 13s aren't out yet. But on the Suzuki site the msrp difference is only $200. The dealer said the 13s may be on the order list or at dealerships by mid March.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
That's great, Joe. You will love having a middle-weight to go along with a light-heavyweight. I sure do. +1 on the Madstad, especially since you're accustomed to a power shield. Even if you set it once and leave it there, you can put it where you want.

Enjoy!

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Looks like you're about to step in to the Ultimate Non-BMW Farkle Zone. I can't think of anything out there other than Hogs and Beemers that has as much farkle support. Enjoy!

fredz43

Fred Z
STOC #
Hey, Joe,

Remember when you PM's ed about riding the NC and I recommended the Wee over it? Good choice.:)

BTW, my son bought a new 2009 ABS and loves it, now has about 30,000 trouble free miles on it. His farkles include the Givi V35 bags with color matched panels, which have worked out great. He found the Madstadt with Givi screen provides very good wind protection. For Christmas last year I bought him a Ricor shock and Ricor Intiminators for the forks. That combo is reasonably priced, around $750 and treally transforms the bike. I used that combo on my 08 KLR suspension, so I knew how good it was.

Oct 09 tour 013.jpg

Top Bottom