Avon Storms proved the cause of awful steering wobble

Hi all,
Have recently taken delivery of an old (but seemingly healthy) 1100. Amongst a few easily sorted issues, there was a definite steering wobble / bar oscillation between 30-55 mph, despite re-balancing of front. Tyres WERE Storm Ultra STs, and reading this (superb) site has shown that many people think there is an issue with these tyres.
It seems that 021/23 Battlaxes are a good choice for the Pan, so I decided to experiment using a pair of second hand wheels, complete with Bridgestones. The rear went straight on (with new cush rubbers to get rid of the drive-off 'clunk') and the wobble reduced in intensity a bit.
Changing the front was a complete revelation! Literally no wobble of any sort, even hands off. Banging the bar hard would induce an oscillation that sorted itself out almost straight away.
I cannot believe the improvement and the same issue was the main reason I am selling my previous bike, an excellent CBF1000. Same tyres!
I am annoyed with Avon, because there is clearly an issue here. I have spent money on balancing, more balancing and even head bearings on my CBF.
The rear on my ST had squared off, effectively, into 3 flats (despite having lots of tread left) and I presumed this was the problem. The front looked fine, with a perfect radius.
Lesson learned!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I tried Avon's on my 1100 and after the experience I considered them to be garbage tires. They developed cupping excessivley prematurely- before 4, 000 miles. Long before they were anywhere near the mileage that I would always get out of my Metzlers they were worn out despite having 3 MM more rubber than the Metzlers. My rear wheel never slid out with Metzlers- it did with the Avons. To add insult to injury they were appreciably more expensive than the Metzlers I had always ran. Never again.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
I am fairly certain that Avon no longer has a tire they recommend on the ST1300. I don't know about the 1100. It is my understanding that Avon took some of the blame for the original "Pan Weave" on the ST1300. Since I never read anything good about Avons on my ST1300 I have no personal experience with them. BTW, the BT-021 Front tire has gotten terrible reviews on the ST1300. My personal experience with that tire confirms this. The 023 is supposed to be very good but I have never tried it.

OP
OP
I would like to know the science behind the problem. Looking carefully at my now to be discarded front, the tyre looks perfect, and the radius/profile is seemingly exactly the same as the Battlax. Likewise with my CBF. I could understand poor handling of a tyre, to an extent, but not tyre-induced bar oscillation.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Glad you ended up with something that works for you. But..... You changed more than just tires so you really can't specifically say the tires were the problem. New wheels and rear end work could have also been factors in your improvement.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Glad you ended up with something that works for you. But..... You changed more than just tires so you really can't specifically say the tires were the problem. New wheels and rear end work could have also been factors in your improvement.
True Bill, but, it's the Storms...

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I've ran 3 front and 5 rear STorms on my 1100. I personally really like these tires, but that's just an opinion. My biggest complaint with them is mileage; I have only gotten 7-8K per rear. Fronts usually run 13-15K. I will be going Darkside, at least for a trial, this year. But that has been motivated more by curiosity and a desire for longer tread life than disappointment with the STorms.

When I first got my 1100, it had the dreaded decel wobble, but with some work it has virtually disappeared. Rear shock preload/dampening settings (and eventually replacement w/Progressive shock) made MORE positive difference than anything else I did. Replacing the steering stem bearings was another big improvement. Worn REAR wheel bearings will also allow her to shimmy.

I believe there is a combination of issues at play and to address only one of them will not fully remedy the problem, though it may reduce the symptoms.

In the end, I hope you find some tires that will make you happy. There are few choices for the 1100....

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
True Bill, but, it's the Storms...
Like sirepair said above, I have had success with storms on the 1100 also. And the PO of my bike also replaced stock shock and springs with progressives. Seems the storms work for some and don't for others. And it also seems they are more particular about bike set-up. My rear shock is very stiff compared to other ST's I have sat on. Does that have anything to do with it? Who knows.

Bike
'07 ST1300
I had the storms and liked them until I realized they were the cause of a vicious headshake on extreme braking (ST1300). I'm on my second pair of the newer Roadsmarts and love them for all around use. I do not ride in the wet though. No need to here.

Bill

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
18k plus on Storms? Just wow! I've only got 18k out of Dunflops on my Wing... and I hated every mile of them too... I burned thru a set of Storms on my C14 in 7500 miles before they started the Shimmy Shimmy Shake.

Poacher

Ridin' for the Son
Bike
ST1300 A6 2007
STOC #
I ran BT020, 021 and 023 on my 1100 - all were standards [not FF/FR/GT] and I acheived 18-20,000mls per set. Funny; the front and rears never wore down together - there would be a bit of wear left on either the front or rear. Types of riding I suppose

I was told by an Avon rep that he would never recommend the bike tyres - he thought there was a serious problem with them. Go figure

p

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
The Avon Cobra's and Venom's for the Wing were awesome tires... sticky, and I got ~14k out of them before they were toast. I really wanted to like the Storm II's on the Connie, but they just didn't work out. The Pirelli Angel ST's were great for me... looking forward to the new GT's.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I'll just say that multiple Storm fronts on two 1100's were problematic without regard to springs and shocks (stock and upgraded), bearings or anything else I'm aware of. That problem was non-existent with previous tires and vanished when going to the 023's. In view of this, in addition to multiple serious problems posted here, they will never be run on my bikes.

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
I cant stress strongly enough ...If you put 023s on the 1300...be sure you get the GTs

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
Another ST1100 rider here with wobble issues using the Avon Storm Ultra II. I would reuse an Avon Storm rear, but never the front. The used front now is used as a wreath with Xmas lights wrapped around it.

Like DeanR, I am now using the Bridgestone BT023 front and rear, and generally pleased. Only negative so far is road noise on front after it wears a bit.

OP
OP
Colchester, Essex (UK!).
Might be a nice trip to Jewitt City though... I could even drop off my used Storms for you!
:eek:)

Bike
2015 Can Am Spyder R
STOC #
I had 2 rear tires blow, 2 years in a row. Avon Storms. Was 2 hrs from home both times. Talked to the guy that sold me the Avons and he said he was going to talk to the rep to see what was going on. Never heard another word. Put a Bridgestone on the rear at a dealership where I was towed to. Seems to be running fine, but only have about 500 miles on it.

Top Bottom