Avon Storms proved the cause of awful steering wobble

Bike
'15 FJR ES
:plus1:

The BT021 just doesn't suit the ST1300 in my opinion.
It doesn't suit the FJR either. Since my ST1300 and Dad's FJR both came with BT-020s and they worked really well, the introduction of the BT-021 filled me with happiness. We each got a set of BT-021s. Yuck! Both of our front tires were worn out by 3K miles and would not grip after the first 1500 miles. The rear BT-021s were better but not great. The FJR was particularly hard on it and did lots of spinning.

The rear BT-023 should wear the sides faster than the center due to the dual compound rubber. The sides are supposed to be much softer and stickier than the front.

Bike
ST-1100
Colchester, Essex (UK!).
Might be a nice trip to Jewitt City though... I could even drop off my used Storms for you!
:eek:)
Hi TG,

I'm just down the road from you and have been running and maintaining an 1100 for several years now, though not been on the forum much this year. If you want any advice please drop me a line.

Marc

Bike
2005 ST1300
I've had to change from Avons. The last set kept loosing pressure, both front and back. I checked them over when I changed to brigestones and each one had a couple of small nails in them. That wasn't so bad what I had a problem with is the wobble I'd get at 60mph. New tires no wobble and haven't picked up anything in 2,300 miles. When I still had the Avons I did a bunch of different tire pressure tests and it didn't seem to matter even tight and sloppy the wobble would come back. I don't remember if the Avons were Storms or not though. (running on a 1300 not 1100 so maybe not much help). :shrug1:

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Ok, I hate to say this but will.....

Avons were removed from the 2000 bike and she is now rock solid steady. They were the problem.

I still have the front on my 1993 and will for a while as I have a spare when this one is dead. I like them on my 93, but they were not good for the 2000. HUH?!?
Remember though. You had an old Storm on that 2000 that came off the 93. Before you write off Storms I would try a new one on the 2000 and see how it does. Did you take the 93 back out to verify that it is solid on that bike as it was before.

If you are happy with the Storms then I would do a bit more testing. I am happy with them on my 93. I won't run them on the 1300 though.

Bike
'96 ST1100
STOC #
In response to a question way back in this thread, re how do you know when the tire needs to be changed? In PA it's when the inspection station says it needs to be changed. No further questions or arguments accepted. If they won't inspect it, then theoretically, you can't ride it any more, except maybe back home.

Currently ready to change out my rear AVON Storm II rear at 11,600 miles on my 1996 ST, probably for an AVON Storm 3D since the II is out of production in this size. This tire (or tyre if you prefer) has been trouble free, as well as the matching front which still has a long way to go. As far as wobble and cupping go, every time that issue has appeared it has always been a matter of tire pressure. Nothing more. With 4o# in the front and 42# in the back ((ON MY GAUGES - that may be important?) I have no problems and evidently acceptable wear and the traction has been great on many different albeit DRY road surfaces. I have ridden in the rain but on the back and country roads I ride on normally, I don't get up a lot of speed and frankly, riding in rain scares the hell out of me! Will I? Yeah, if I have to but will I like it? Not likely.

One other point I should make is that after a long winter when the bike just sits, the tires can develop flat spots making it hard to even roll the bike. Checking tire pressure first helps that a lot!

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Karen-One thing that could explain why one of your 1100 does OK and the other one doesn't is the condition of various components (wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, steering stem bearing, front fork bushings). I'm not saying one bike has worn out parts, just in better or worse shape than the other.

I am currently running a set of correct size 3D model Avons . I'm at about 3K miles so it's too early to pass judgment.

Bike
'96 ST1100
STOC #
will rephrase for you: Every time the "wobble" issue has appeared on my ST1100 or a tire has started to cup (on several bikes and tires), it has been the result of incorrect tire pressure. Correcting the pressure to 40 front and 42 rear (again, on my gauge) has cured the problem.

Bike
'96 ST1100
STOC #
I actually have a different thought as to what might be causing the differences between my bikes and hope others will add additional data.

The bike I can run them on has Progressive fork springs.

The bike I can't had OEM springs in it when I had the Avon on it. I just put Progressive fork springs in it and the ride handling difference is night and day.

So those of you than can and do use the Avon... what's in your forks?
On my ST1100 the springs are stock but on my Kaw Vulcan 1500 I installed progressives and those made an incredible difference for the better on that bike in terms of ride and handling. Just replaced the fluid and seals on the 96 ST, but not the springs, and that has improved the ride a bit, seems stiffer with less front end dive when I brake hard.

Bike
05 ST1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've been using the Avon Storms for the last 4 or 5 years with no problems. My 03 has 119,00 miles and I just received a set of the 3D Storms for the 05. I get 18k to 20k out of a set and like the handling wet or dry. No cupping if you keep the pressure 42 to 44 lbs. But to each his own. I'll stick with the Avons till I get burnt.

Top Bottom