Rostra Cruise Control for ST1100

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Congrats, Seth,

Where did you mount the servo? I'm still a little unclear as to how the Rostra pull cable attaches to the throttle bellcrank...

For those that might be interested, I'm going to try to reconstruct some of my old WebShots trip and farkle picture albums. Here's my new gallery, including the AudioVox CCS-100 cruise control install album (still some captioning to do):
http://www.st-riders.net/coppermine/index.php?cat=10125

Regards, John

OP
OP
drseth
Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
I mounted the servo up under the right front fairing, which had plenty of room for everything. I ziptied the box using the right side mirror to attach the servo, and it doesn't bind in any way. The throttle cable is 3 feet long, so it was impractical to mount it on the left side.

Here is the link to the manual: http://www.rostra.com/manuals/250-1223Form4565G.pdf, Page 11 describes the cable loop and how it attaches to the bellcrank, but the barrel and bell crank did not have enough room the loop to fit, so I created space by removing a mm or so from one side of the barrel (the side that stays in the bellcrank when the cable is partially pulled out from where it fits in the bellcrank. I made it U-shaped, leaving the top of the barrel (the part that faces the cable going into the sleeve) intact. It still engages the sides without getting skewed while manipulating the throttle.

Another idea I had was to use a cable cinch to attach the CC cable to the throttle cable, but after making space for the loop using the Dremel tool, I didn't need to go to plan B.

Last edited:
OP
OP
drseth
Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
I took the Silver Fox out for a trip to Richmond and back to test the Cruise Control unit at interstate speeds. The fastest that I engaged the Cruise Control was 80 mph, which worked seamlessly. The slowest speed it engages is around 35 mph.

I am planning a mountain trip in the next few weeks. I really have enjoyed the bike, especially now that I don't have to worry about getting speeding tickets.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I took the Silver Fox out for a trip to Richmond and back to test the Cruise Control unit at interstate speeds. The fastest that I engaged the Cruise Control was 80 mph, which worked seamlessly. The slowest speed it engages is around 35 mph.

I am planning a mountain trip in the next few weeks. I really have enjoyed the bike, especially now that I don't have to worry about getting speeding tickets.
You will probably see better gas mileage too!

OP
OP
drseth
Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
I haven't check the gas mileage since installing the cruise control, but I will let you know once I get a couple of tanks. This 1991 ST1100 has been getting between 45 and 48 mpg since I have owned it. How does that compare with other ST1100s?

I rode with a guy with a 2012 BMW R1200GS and he was shocked when I told him I had a carbureted bike, then just about fell out when I told him the bike was 22 years old. We compared rpm at speed, and my ST was taching about 500 rpm less than his BMW, with a 6 speed tranny. I think Honda really got it right with this bike.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I get 47 MPG @ 75 MPH on my '98. With a larger windscreen and no cruise I was getting in the upper 30's but, that was when every time I looked at the speedo I was doing 80+ lol. That's the reason the cruise control helped my fuel economy!

Bike
ST1100A 2000
STOC #
Couple questions:
1. Is there an adjustment to allow the cruise to be set over 80mph?
2. Did you try to place the unit in the rear storage area and the cable wasn't long enough or?

Thx
Just bought all the pieces to add this.

OP
OP
drseth
Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
Couple questions:
1. Is there an adjustment to allow the cruise to be set over 80mph?
2. Did you try to place the unit in the rear storage area and the cable wasn't long enough or?

Thx
Just bought all the pieces to add this.
1. The fastest that I engaged the cruise control was 80 mph. No reason it wouldn't work at a higher speed

2. I looked at under the seat, but it looked like there might not be enough space. Also, the cruise control speed cable didn't look long enough to reach from the space under the passenger seat to the carburetor, but mounted from the front, I could have shortened the cable by 8 to 12 inches. Where I placed the box is protected from the weather, can be removed easily in case a dip switch needs to be tweaked. Where I placed the box is on the right side, zip tied to the brace under the cowl adjacent to some relays. you can access it by turning the front wheel and looking up under the cowl, or by removing the windshield garnish. It is next to the headlight assembly.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Is your bike an ABS model? I think it would be interesting to use the ABS pulse counter as a speed sensor for the CC, instead of using magnets.

OP
OP
drseth
Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
My gas mileage using the CC through the Blue Ridge Parkway was 51 mpg, and 46 on the interstate riding back home. This doesn't vary much from before I got the CC, but I ride conservatively, not hot-dogging or drag racing the Corvette next to me at the traffic light. Guess I am getting old........

I connected the tach signal to the CC, and it worked for a couple of weeks, then the CC started disengaging more and more. I pulled off onto the shoulder of the road, and since I was 40 miles from home, decided to disconnect the tachometer connection, and it has run without a hitch ever since. Once home, I checked the connections and everything appeared ok, but decided to leave it disconnected. The only thing it does is keep the engine from over-revving if you grab the clutch while the CC is engaged.

Bike
ST1100A 2000
STOC #
Have the Cruise installed, added the GL1500 controls, now new to figure the pulse. Use the magnets or try to tap the ABS or Traction control. Thoughts anyone?

OP
OP
drseth
Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
Magnets are more straight forward. I attached the magnets to the rear brake rotor by fabricating some tabs to hold the magnets. The pickup was zip tied to an area on the swingarm adjacent to the path of the magnets.

My thoughts on tapping into the ABS speed sensor is that it might interfere with brake operation, so you might be best off with the KISS principle.

PM me if you need any help or photos.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Considering a Rosta for lipSTick as the old Audiovox CC100 gave up last fall. Also, the McCruz on STick gave up too, so yanked them both and trashed'em. Both have given me some trouble over the years, from 'lectronics to vacuum to (on STick) magnet pick up. Also, always hated the cable combiner on the Cruz, damn thing was just a PITA to get up under the carb cover.

Here's the question: On lipSTick, I had used a wire tapped to a coil signal for the RPM (PPM?) instead of magnets. Less cumbersome and always worked. Why wouldn't the same work with the Rosta? Anyone? Bueller?

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Second question: Does the basic Rosta kit come with a switch control or is that a separate order? $45 for the basic switch seems pretty steep given it's two push buttons and a light.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
George - Somewhere there's install instructions by Reg Siemens who used a Rostra and the Police Switch as his cruise control switch. If you need it, let me know and I'll see if I can find it if it's not posted on this board.

Top Bottom