Thread: Good news and bad news...

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Good news and bad news...

I've been bothered by a couple health problems for a while. One is a bad pain in my left shoulder that makes it difficult to lift my left arm and restricts my movement. That has bothered me for around 4 years. It was diagnosed twice as a torn rotator cuff but I haven't had the time to have it dealt with. Next is a sharp pain in my right wrist that started last year and has gotten worse. I thought both problems would improve while I was out of work, and they weren't being stressed. The shoulder has stayed the same, and the wrist has only gotten much worse. Initial diagnoses and treatment were for a Triangular fibrocartilage injury.

While being out of work I thought this would be a good time to have them taken care of. This doctor ordered an MRI for each (hadn't been done before). It turns out both diagnoses were wrong. (the bad news)

For the good news- My left shoulder is only irritated and should respond to therapy and strength exercises. That sure beats surgery. My wrist has a ganglion cyst in the joint. That can be cleared up with either aspiration or a minor surgery, either of which would be much simpler and faster healing than surgery for a triangular fibrocartilage injury. I haven't seen the orthopedist since the MRIs were done...I found this out from my PT today...but I'm hoping these get cleared up quickly. I look forward to the elimination of pain...especially in my wrist, which makes riding very difficult and very painful!
    Proud member of the Dark Side. 205/50ZR17 GYTT
    IBA #47373

2. › Site Search for: Good news and bad news...
    The Darkside Finally Got Me! TinyL's Avatar
    Bike
    2010 Wing
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: Good news and bad news...

Well, at least it was not the initial diagnosis! Get some rehab and heal up quick...summer will be hear soon!
    Darin aka Tiny...Still Serving and Riding with the ALR...
    Support Our Troops, If you can't stand behind them...Please stand in Front of them !!!

IBA #53730
    3 X SS1000 / BBG1500 / BB1500 / Curt Gran MLR1K

Bike
    93 & 00 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Minor surgery is WAY better than major surgery!

Good luck Jim.
    http://www.st-owners.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic15232_6.gif

Bike
    ST1100(s)
    2014 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Just remember - The difference between Major Surgery and Minor Surgery is it is Major when it's ME and Minor when it's YOU! Sounds like good solutions without major reconstruction - always a plus! I've found that stuff never works quite like the original after it's been 'rearranged' or 'replaced'. But I'm awful thankful they still do repairs on these older models.

97 ST1100 STD +137,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +95,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +51,000
    www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil

Bike
    ST1300A9 (2013)
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My Gallery

Sure hope that it all gets sorted quickly. It sounds promising, and now you have an accurate diagnosis, and don't have the concern of major surgery weighing down on you, I bet you will feel a lot better in yourself too. Good luck with the treatement, and I hope the wrist heals up quickly afterwards.

I had to look up what a Ganglion cyst was. Wikipedia is a wonderful thing. The opening paragraph refers to them as Bible Cysts - so called because they used to treat them by hitting them with a Bible hard enough to rupture the cyst - a practice which seemed to have been effective, although it doesn't go on to discuss the correlation between this cure and the subsequent development of wrist fracture. I believe that medical techniques have advance a little in recent years.

Bike
    '03 ST1300A
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Sounds like you're moving in the right direction. Given a choice between facing major or minor surgery, I know which I'd prefer to tackle. Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.

John

"Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are." - Author Unknown

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I've had surgery to remove a ganglion cyst in my wrist as well. This was about 10 years ago. It was amazing to have that pain just disappear. Unfortunately another cyst recently developed in the same spot about six weeks ago. I went the bible approach. I used the thumb on my other hand to press it as hard as I possibly could. Just like that, the cyst disappeared and hasn't come back yet. Good luck to you!

STOC #8401
    2006 Honda ST1300

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by TripleJ View Post
    I've had surgery to remove a ganglion cyst in my wrist as well. This was about 10 years ago. It was amazing to have that pain just disappear. Unfortunately another cyst recently developed in the same spot about six weeks ago. I went the bible approach. I used the thumb on my other hand to press it as hard as I possibly could. Just like that, the cyst disappeared and hasn't come back yet. Good luck to you!
    I have one on the surface of my left hand, and although not really painful at all, its a bit annoying. There is some discomfort if it gets bumped. I'll probably have that one removed some time...maybe at the same time if they will do it. The right one is inside the joint, which is putting pressure on nerves and tendons, so its VERY painful at times. I can't wait for that pain to be gone!

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

That's exactly where mine was - right on the joint. They took a piece of bone out with it just to try to make sure it didn't grow back. Too bad that didn't work for me.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by TripleJ View Post
    That's exactly where mine was - right on the joint. They took a piece of bone out with it just to try to make sure it didn't grow back. Too bad that didn't work for me.
    How was the surgery and recovery? Pain level, time, etc.?

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast