2014 Miles

My Gallery

Feb '13 MOTM - jfheath

Please congratulate
    John
    for being the

February 2013 Member Of The Month.

From John:

Wow, what a surprise. I’ve noted a few recipients of MOTM make a similar comment in the past, but Mellow’s congratulatory e-mail really did come out of the blue. Especially as my first reaction was to wonder which message I had once again managed to post to the wrong forum. And what a nice warm glow when I realized that the message was for the award of Feb MOTM.

My motorcycling history is probably much like that of many other riders. Nurtured as a youngster with the distinctive rhythmic heartbeat thumping of my father’s single cylinder Panther 650 combination, I grew up with motorcycles as the normal form of transport. I doubtless have a different memories of manufacturers and coded letters, but the progression from the Honda C90, the BSA Bantam D14, the Cossack Ural and sidecar and the Yamaha XS650 with Squire 2-seater sidecar all reflected my growing enthusiasm, an increasing mechanical awareness and eventually the need to accommodate a young family.

In spite of the addition of sidecars, family needs inevitably took over, and the bikes reluctantly gave way to cars. The young boys grew into remarkable young adults, and after 25 all too brief years with our own children, the house, the fridge and the bank balance were returned, slightly the worse for wear, into our control once more. Motorbikes had grown up in the intervening period, and my hunt for a large low revving, torquey tourer with fairing and shaft drive eventually led me to my first ’96 ST1100. We’d had enough looking around on one particular day. I really liked the ST1100, but they were way beyond our budget. On the way home, an “Ok, just this last one then” side street showroom presented itself. Looking a little uncared for and sporting an expression that said ‘Buy Me’ was a 28,000 mile 1996 ST1100. It happened to be £5 short of our maximum budget. How could I walk away ?

We’ve now owned 3 ‘Pans’ - The ST1100T, The ST1100AY and the current ST1300A6 - the last two of which I ran side by side for 18 months – and between them we have covered a total of 142,000 miles. My back-packing days are long gone, but I still love lightweight camping and the various STs have done us proud over the years, lugging our camping gear around Britain for 3 weeks at a time, and taking us on many hotel based adventures on the European Continent. Put ‘jfheath’ into a search of the Issuu site, and you will find some of my reports.

Servicing and tinkering is something that I’ve always enjoyed doing. I’ve learned a lot about the ST1100s and the ST1300 and I am still learning. I think that it is such a waste if having put a lot of effort into something, the experience and knowledge isn’t shared with others - whether it be about a route, a farkle, a diagram, riding, servicing or general chatter. If I can help somebody, sometime then I always think that it is worth sharing, and ST-Owners is full of thousands of really helpful people who contribute in so many different ways. It is a brilliant forum - polite, friendly and helpful and it has something that hardly seems possible for a website – a welcoming atmosphere.

Thank you. I shall wear my MOTM badge with pride. What ? We don’t get a badge ? Excuse me, I think I feel a small farkle coming on !

John Heath
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ballater.JPG   Honister Pass.JPG   Kaunertal - Austria.JPG   Offenpass.jpg   Picos.JPG  

Rosemarkie.JPG   Scourie.JPG   Silvretta Pass.JPG  

2. › Site Search for: Feb '13 MOTM - jfheath
    Bike
    2009 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: Feb '13 MOTM - jfheath

Congrats John!

'09 ST1300 "Gigolo" - 82,000 miles and counting...
    '06 Metropolitan "Fabio"
    STOC# 8193, IBA# 55046
    WeSTOC XIX Disorganizer

Bike
    '12 Wing
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My Gallery

Congratulations John. Well deserved.

Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Congrats John.
    Jim

Bike
    2006 ST-1300
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My Gallery

Congratulations John!!
    Friends are the Flowers in the Garden of Life!!!

STOC#8078 Black Magic

Bike
    2013 GL1800
    My Gallery

Congratulation John! Nice to have someone from across the pond getting this recognition. Enjoyed your eloquent response. Please print this award and present it at your local restaurants and pie/ice cream shoppes to receive a considerable discount.
    The missing link
    Did you ever get the feeling the world is a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?
    I know I'm getting old, I was in Las Vegas last week playing the slot machines and 3 prunes popped up!

Bike
    '04 ST1300A
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

I've learned to read your posts with extra attention... I always learn something practical from you, with good reasoning and a pleasant manner, Thanks!

A fine choice indeed, congrats John!
    John - 2004 ST1300A

Bike
    2005 ST1300
    My Gallery

Congratulations John.
    2005 ST1300

STOC #7244

Bike
    ''03 FJR1300 "Cisco"
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My Gallery

Congratulations John!
    2008 FZ1 "Fizzy" STOC#7404:
    2003 FJR1300 "Cisco"

"Knights of the Green Shield Stamp and Shout!" - Hackett, Gabriel, Rutherford, Banks & Collins.

Bike
    07 ST1300A
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Congratulations John!!
    R.I.P. Terry 'ACL' Hammond

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast