Video Camera Alternative

Bike
2004 VFR 800A
STOC #
Here is a clip from my camera, 808 #11. Records 10 hours with a 32GB card, hardwired to bike.

From China, Google " Video Camera 808 #11". Be sure order includes vehicle power cord. Less than 40.00.

It is velcroed on dash, have not made any attempt to isolate it from vibration.

Jim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5h7YT0UXck

Last edited:

JDK

Post the link to the seller you purchased from.
There's dozens of camera vendors selling this camera and it would be nice to know if your's is a good one.
Thx.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
That video was recorded with that camera?!?!? Wow, that's pretty cool. And affordable too. Do we have to sit through a time share presentation first?

OP
OP
jvick98
Bike
2004 VFR 800A
STOC #
That video was recorded with that camera?!?!? Wow, that's pretty cool. And affordable too. Do we have to sit through a time share presentation first?
No, but what you do have to do is learn to trim the video file from the camera to a manageable size for Utube or your email. I beat on Windows Live Movie Maker until I learned how to trim down to a couple of minutes.

Jim

Bike
2004 ST1300
Don't bother to try to isolate the camera. Rigid mounting to the frame almost always works best, so far as video quality is concerned.

Bike
03 ST1300
Okay... I'll admin I've missed staying on top of mem cards.. what the heck is a TF memory card? It looks like a micro SD .
The microSD card is based on TransFlash, which is the world’s smallest flash memory card form factor and were adopted by the SD Card Association (SDA) and renamed "microSD"

So ... yes, you nailed it !

Bike
2006 ST1300
Without a viewfinder, how do you know where you are aiming the camera? With my luck, it would be aiming at the sky the whole time.
Also, is it pretty easy to follow directions and know the light blinks that indicate recording or not recording?

OP
OP
jvick98
Bike
2004 VFR 800A
STOC #
Without a viewfinder, how do you know where you are aiming the camera? With my luck, it would be aiming at the sky the whole time.
Also, is it pretty easy to follow directions and know the light blinks that indicate recording or not recording?
I velcro mounted it level on my ST1100 dash and get the result you see in the clip. Alignment is not critical.

Push On/Off button to turn camera on. Push Record button to start recording. Push Record button to stop recording. Push and hold On/Off button for 3 seconds to turn camera off. The indicator light signals each step. I turn video recording on before engine start and turn recording off after shut-down.

Jim

STOC #
Jim, thanks for posting this up. I've been interested in capturing some riding video for a long time, just too frugal for a Go-Pro. I think this is the ebay link you got yours from 808#11 ? Also found a couple of possibilities from Chinavision, DC35 or DV51

hPenmmEA.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jvick98
Bike
2004 VFR 800A
STOC #
Hi Fred,

I have ordered two cameras, one from Ebay seller Power-GPS, which I don't find right now, and don't remember the other seller. Ebay lists quite a gob of sellers with satisfaction rates at 99% or better. Be sure to use one that supplies the power cord (all of them don't).

My first one was the smaller key-fob shaped one, used it about 2 years and then the picture got "pixellated" so I replaced it. Am in second year with this one, it is on for all of my riding so it has a lot of hours on it. Last years mileage was 12,013 and camera was on 100% of the time.

Colorado Springs has had about a dozen "left turner" deaths, including two motorcops, in last three years and I want my widow to have something to show the jury.

That DC35 looks interesting, maybe for the car.

Jim

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Chinavasion is where I ordered my GPSs and some other stuff. So far their products are holding very well, and pretty well made (I pulled the GPS apart to look at the soldering - very clean, very good) and very cheap! ;-)

**EDIT - I just ordered DC35 from Chinavasion, $43.37 (includes shipping). These guys are usually quick so I should know how well it will work in a week or so. But they do require a signature so it is better to have it shipped to work (for me) so I can sign for it.

Last edited:
STOC #
Here's a short video shot from inside the car with the Chinavision DV51

[video=youtube_share;bRJIpBG3bIc]http://youtu.be/bRJIpBG3bIc[/video]

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Here's my video from my new DC35 from Chinavasion- first time I tried it on the ST1100. I just had it suction cupped to the inside of the windshield (which meant I had to remove some bug guts and stuff) so there is some 'movement'. Also, if the video is jerky, that's from my editing software not the original. I had to convert it from AVI to WMV to shorten it. The 'white' shadow in the center of the screen is the reflection of my key fob in the windshield, not a camera problem. The original is brighter and clearer, but it was a very cloudy day. Note to self - attach a safety cord just in case!

Last edited:
Top Bottom