Femur IM Rod and Femur Rod Removal Info

I recently had my femur rod removed and I remember having lots of questions before, during and after surgery. I am fully recovered and recently had the rod removed. My surgery was due to a leg length discrepancy (they shortened my left femur) but obviously very close to having a traumatic break of the bone - minus the extreme trauma of some accidents! :)

Anyway, if anyone is going through this you can post here and I'll do my best to answer any questions as I can relate to them.

-Tyson

Attachments

Bike
2006 ST1300
Ummmm....OUCH?

Sorry...not very helpful, nor a question...just my first impression.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Cool!

How tall are you now?

I'd need them to add 4" to both legs so my height would fit my weight...

OP
OP
roxzor
I WAS 6'1'' so I guess I had a little to spare. I'm basically the same height. I was walking around crooked anyway!

Yes, it hurt a significant amount. My muscles screamed "***!!!" after I woke up from anesthesia. Quad muscle spasms really suck.

I was 28mm short in the right leg. The Surgeon gave me the option to lengthen my short leg but the idea of scaffolding slowly stretching my bone a millimeter a day kinda turned me off.

I'm 26 and in a pretty decent shape. I decided now was the time since I have health insurance and I'm young enough still to heal pretty quickly.

The plus side is I can relate to my dad and his friends when they all complain about body aches, surgeries and getting old etc.. :)

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm 26 and in a pretty decent shape. I decided now was the time since I have health insurance and I'm young enough still to heal pretty quickly.
You must be married. I found I couldn't even think about having any serious work done until my wife was out of school, found a job, and we got insurance through her. An unfortunate catch 22 is that while I was working, I got insurance...but I couldn't have anything done, because...I WAS WORKING! If I left my job to have any issues taken care of...no more insurance. That is why I'm taking care of two issues now, while I can, and maybe move on to others later on. At least the worse problems will be behind me.

Good luck with the recovery. Young or not, that isn't something I would want to go through! With that much hardware, you need the nickname Terminator!

Bike
2006 ST1300
Cool!

How tall are you now?

I was thinking my wife could have this done so she could ride a larger bike. Maybe a new vendor opportunity on ST-Owners? "Leg Extension Surgery...group buy!"

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Cool!

How tall are you now?

And I need to add 4" to both my legs so my height would fit more motorcycles, like, say a Ducati MultiStrada GranTurismo.

Speaking of rods in one's legs, one of my buddies just broke his tibia and fibula skiing moguls. Can I offer him some hope from another broken leg rider?

OP
OP
roxzor
Basically, you need to do the physical therapy like its your job. Starting early is imperative. Ankle pumps are the first thing and then progress slowly towards the more advanced exercises. Get a good physical therapist and do exactly what they say. It will hurt, it's supposed to, otherwise you aren't doing it right!

Tell your buddy to be careful with the pain medications. They are highly addictive and it's easy to get trapped.

He should be back to riding within 6 months or less. I was back on my bike around 4. Was it a good idea to be riding that early? Probably most definitely NO.

OP
OP
roxzor
My wife joined the Navy so I could get these surgeries done. I think she might be a keeper. Brought her over from the Philippines and I guess she wanted to return the favor? :) Filipinas have a bad reputation, but I can attest that they aren't all sending your money back to the Philippines and/or gold digging.

You must be married. I found I couldn't even think about having any serious work done until my wife was out of school, found a job, and we got insurance through her. An unfortunate catch 22 is that while I was working, I got insurance...but I couldn't have anything done, because...I WAS WORKING! If I left my job to have any issues taken care of...no more insurance. That is why I'm taking care of two issues now, while I can, and maybe move on to others later on. At least the worse problems will be behind me.

Good luck with the recovery. Young or not, that isn't something I would want to go through! With that much hardware, you need the nickname Terminator!

Top Bottom