Need new pants

Bike
2006 ST1300
Sennister, look at the age and condition of all your other riding gear. I really didn't have the money for my Aerostich, and I only needed pants due to a problem with my old pair. I got to looking- my jacket was 10 years old and while still mostly water resistant, had lost most of its waterproof qualities. My rain gear was several years old, and would soon need replacing due to using it a lot...in fact, a lot more since my old jacket wasn't as waterproof as it used to be. Adding up new pants, a new jacket soon, and new rain gear...I would be spending nearly as much as the Stich (which I found discounted from Aerostich...it was used for a photo shoot), and who knows when my current gear would fail? If the jacket zipper decided to give out while in the middle of a trip, I would really be hating life. As it was, the pants gave out the night before a 24-hour rally, requiring a temp fix and putting me in a stressed frame of mind for the rally.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I like the First Gear stuff for the tall sizes. Bought a pair of the semi-mesh pants 3 years ago and still going strong. No suspenders on.my model.
Back from the store. I need to cut out the beer and go on a diet.... Wait, that is crazy talk.... I'm going with the fact that their sizes are off and I need to go with a larger size than what I would normally go with. Yeah that is it. I tried on a 38 which fit but the expansion tabs were out all the way. This was over jeans. That was the largest they had in Kathmando but they had a 40 Tall in another model so assuming their sizes are consistent I tried that. They fit better in the waist but seemed a little long in the legs actually. Hmm They didn't have a 40 in any of the Fisrtgear but they did have a 40 Short to compare. That was a little short as I would expect so I think a regular 40 might do the trick if I went that route.

I liked them overall but still not sure of the color. They have pockets, pass through pockets, the hook for the waist line, better quality (YKK) zippers, D3O T5 CE Armor, Venting and detachable suspenders with a mesh back so they won't be too hot in the summer. The color though.....

51-5582KathmnduOvrpntGryBlk_detail.jpg

I wish they had straight black. They call the color Dark Grey and Black but it is more of a silver. I guess it would match the bike as I ride the 03 most of the time. Here is the jacket that I have. Tourmaster Sonora

Tour_Master_Sonora_Air_Jacket_detail.jpg

Since they also had the Sonora in stock still I put them side by side. I guess I could live with it if I went that route.

I asked about Olympia but they didn't have any.

They didn't have the Alpinestar I was looking for but they had a very limited supply of other models. None of which fit.

Sennister, look at the age and condition of all your other riding gear. I really didn't have the money for my Aerostich, and I only needed pants due to a problem with my old pair. I got to looking- my jacket was 10 years old and while still mostly water resistant, had lost most of its waterproof qualities. My rain gear was several years old, and would soon need replacing due to using it a lot...in fact, a lot more since my old jacket wasn't as waterproof as it used to be. Adding up new pants, a new jacket soon, and new rain gear...I would be spending nearly as much as the Stich (which I found discounted from Aerostich...it was used for a photo shoot), and who knows when my current gear would fail? If the jacket zipper decided to give out while in the middle of a trip, I would really be hating life. As it was, the pants gave out the night before a 24-hour rally, requiring a temp fix and putting me in a stressed frame of mind for the rally.
I have thought about that.

The Sonora Jacket is 2 seasons old now. The only issue is I broke the main zipper pull but I made a new one and like it better than the original as it is longer and easier to grab with gloves. I have a Firstgear rain suit that is in good condition as it doesn't get used all that much which I am happy with. Most of the time I just say the heck with it and deal with the rain liners or it is warm out and I am commuting home so I don't care if I get a little wet. The only place I was getting wet last season was my feet as my boots were in pretty rough shape. Those were replaced with Combat Lites last year and my feet have been dry since then even though they are not WP. Stich is just down the road from me so it isn't hard to run up there plus they give a discount for buying in the store. If I could transfer the credit to Stich I would do that, bust out the plastic and order up a Roadcrafter suit. That isn't the case though so if I can get a new set of pants for under $100 out of pocket I might as well do that. Even if I get a Stich later it would be good to have a spare jacket/pants should I need to send the Stich in for some work. Kind of like the issue you ran into with needing something right before a rally.

As I have mentioned I have had zipper issues with Tourmaster so I am not going that route and it is why a quality zipper is on my list. I retired my Joe Rocket pants because the leg zipper blew out like the Tourmaster but they lasted many years so I wasn't mad about it. The Jacket also had zipper issues but limited to the pockets so it wasn't the end of the world. That is the thing I like about Stich. Being they make everything in house, zipper issues can be resolved easier than what I have been facing.

Since Revzilla has a good return policy I am debating right now. I could order the Olympia and check it out if I don't like it, swap it with the Firstgear. The good news is that I have time. We have an inch of ice on the road and driveway still from the winter. Bike is tore apart doing spring maintenance and I don't ride the 1100 much till it is warmer out.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Understandable. I keep the warranty replacement pants and my old gear to use for commuting. I can get pretty nasty at work, and I don't want to put my Stich over those clothes. I save it for real rides & trips, where it will stay in good shape. I'd rather abuse the old, cheap stuff. There are also times when a 2-piece suit is more convenient than the Roadcrafter.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Understandable. I keep the warranty replacement pants and my old gear to use for commuting. I can get pretty nasty at work, and I don't want to put my Stich over those clothes. I save it for real rides & trips, where it will stay in good shape. I'd rather abuse the old, cheap stuff. There are also times when a 2-piece suit is more convenient than the Roadcrafter.
That is kind of my thought. I don't have the issue of getting dirty at work though. With commuting though it is a lot of zipper use, on/off on/off on/off. That might be another reason I wear them out.

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
May not help you out, but I have a pair of BMW summer paints. I have had no problems with them, but I did buy they for Florida riding.
With that said, my next pair I will be looking for a pair with side leg zippers!

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
One thing I definitely like is having the access zipper to reach the inside pockets. I don't know how many times I've gotten dressed in gear to leave work... walk out the building only to find the key for my locked up phone is in my inner pants pocket. So then you gotta drop the outer pants to get to the pocket with the key. Not a problem on my summertime pants that have the access zipper, but my leather pants don't. Some day I'll learn, but haven't yet.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
May not help you out, but I have a pair of BMW summer paints. I have had no problems with them, but I did buy they for Florida riding.
With that said, my next pair I will be looking for a pair with side leg zippers!
Yeah, not a ton of help as I am limited with what Revzialla stocks.

Watch the side leg zippers, I agree that they are nice but in both pair of pants that I have had had this is where my point of failure was. Joe Rocket took about 5 years to fail which for what I paid for them I can live with. Tourmaster 5 months to failure. Not acceptable.

I placed an order yesterday for the Firstgear. The more I thought about the mesh which is what my Tourmaster was, the more I think I want to go back to a solid pant. I didn't care for how bulky they were with the rain liner and insulation liner under the mesh layer. I know Olympia is a different pant but it got to be too much. While I always had a Firstgear rain suit in a saddle bag, it was more of a pain to slip on the pants. With the FG pants all I have to do is close the vents. The gotcha is going to be the really hot days. I still don't like the color but as my wifey pointed out. "Since when are YOU trying to make a fashion statement???" Maybe the lighter color will be a little cooler in the hot sun. I did see some comments to that effect. I won't hold a lot of hope of the vents doing much of anything but like others have pointed out about mesh and really hot days, if you are getting pelted with the blast furnace of 100+ deg day it is going to be hot in anything.

I went with the 40 Tall. I know I mentioned that the 40 Tall seemed too long in the pair that I tried at the store. However, the pair that I tried at the store was a different model of pant. While still FG, the pant was different and didn't have the suspenders. I have read from reviews that this pant is worn a lot higher than other MC pants. While the 38s I had fit I don't know if I had them pulled up all the way. The inseam measurement is closer to what I wear in the tall version. I think it was 34.5" in tall and only 32" in normal length. My inseam is 36". Like I mentioned if I don't like them they are really good about returns. I am not riding any time soon. On the way home from work yesterday I slid 20' past my driveway. I stepped on the brakes before I got to my neighbor's driveway to stop to check my the mailbox and slid for a good 100' on the ice. This is with Michelin X-Ice tires on my cage. It is going to take a while to melt all this ice before I can get the bikes out.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
One thing I definitely like is having the access zipper to reach the inside pockets. I don't know how many times I've gotten dressed in gear to leave work... walk out the building only to find the key for my locked up phone is in my inner pants pocket. So then you gotta drop the outer pants to get to the pocket with the key. Not a problem on my summertime pants that have the access zipper, but my leather pants don't. Some day I'll learn, but haven't yet.
That is one thing that I liked about the FG pants that I ordered. That and it also has pockets. It looks like I will have them tomorrow.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
However, the pair that I tried at the store was a different model of pant. While still FG, the pant was different and didn't have the suspenders.
FG has multiple suppliers and they use their own measurements. What size I wear on one of their items means nothing when compared to a different item.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
FG has multiple suppliers and they use their own measurements. What size I wear on one of their items means nothing when compared to a different item.
Yeah I used it as a rough guide. I did try on the same model that I ordered in the store but it was a 38 R. While it fit, and the length seemed OK I didn't put on the suspenders and I may not have pulled them up all the way. What I found with the 38s is that they fit but over my jeans, the adjustment tabs were out all the way. Normally I will wear them with Dockers under them when commuting to work or jeans most of the time unless hot and then it will be shorts. So it was a pretty good test. While the 38s worked, I think the 40s would work better as I would have more adjustment. Even if they are a little loose, I have the suspenders to support them. I was pleased to see that many people reported having to order a larger size than they expected as they ran a little small like I noticed.

I will say I really liked the armor in them. It is that new D3O stuff that stiffens at the molecular level on impact but is more flexible and forgiving in normal use. I know Aerostich offers this as an upgrade option in their stuff. There also was lots of velcro to move it around to position it right. The knee cups on my TM never really seemed to fall in the right places.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sorry about resurrecting a 5+ year old thread, but since this one started out about the TM Venture Air pant I decided to go with it. @sennister , hope your FG are working great for you and lasted all these years.
I currently have a pair of 8+ year old TM Flex over pants that are starting to wear out due to on/off almost every day riding to work and other places. It's not really due to the miles but how often I put them on and take them off. These have a solid shell that removes to reveal a mesh base, and also a wind/rain liner and insulating liner that can be used together or separately (same as with the Venture Air pants other than the solid outer shell). My Flex pants have developed holes in the inner lining just behind the mesh, but the wind/rain and insulating liners are in great shape since I only used those when the temps drop into the 30s or below. The left leg zipper on my Flex pants also failed... once... last spring but I was able to repair the working of it so that has lasted until now. Only a matter of time with any zipper IMO. I've been considering replacing with the TM Venture Air 2.0. To determine if these will be "enough" for me, since I ride in sometimes hot temps as well as down into very cold temps I've been keeping my Flex pants in the same configuration as the Venture Air 2.0 would be... mesh without an outer shell and using only the 2 liners as temps have been dropping this last month. So far they are working well that way. Last night I put the outer shell back on for the first time in a long time and removed the thermal liner only just to further test. Even though the temp for this mornings ride to work was 12 deg warmer than it was last week I found that the pants were not as warm as the colder temp with mesh mode and 2 liners put in. That colder temp was only 14F and without the solid shell on the Flex pants but all other liners put in I was actually warm at that temp. Thinking even more that the Venture Air 2.0 will work fine for me. I have my rain pants to put on over the mesh should I feel the need for a solid shell over all of it. I've worn these from over 100F to well under zeroF in various configurations. Not sure I'll be riding the colder temps so much as I get older. Maybe not the super hot temps either if I can help it. Retirement looms when I can be even more picky about what weather I ride in.
I like TM. I used to have FG over pants but those were not as good to me as TM pants are.

I also have an aging TM Flex 2 jacket same age as the pants but that will last at least another year... or 2.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Well my pants failed again. This time the velcro waist adjustment strap broke from where it attaches the the pants. I am not going to mess with a replacement. Time to make the ride to Duluth and get fitted for a Stich. You get a discount when you order it in the store. I just need to figure out if I want the one piece or two piece, then classic or R3. hmm

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Dave, better check as I believe they no longer offer the instore discount (which I’ve used twice). Sorry. STill worth it though, and you get to try it on. My last time I got different sized Roadcrafter jacket and pants. Got a good fit. And they offer off the rack short sizes.

John

Bike
2007 ST1300
Well my pants failed again.
Have you considered "Bohn Body Amour" brand? I bought the pants and shirt last summer and tested with a real life high side get off. The armor worked great. You wear these under normal jeans or pants and though not abrasion resistant they cushion the impact.
Cruisemans Garage did a review on them and he liked them also.
Just FYI if you were interested.

I wear Bohn Armor, but still have to have good pants. I have Aerostich jeans and Joe Rocket Mesh pants. I think the OP just needed an excuse for a Roadcrafter.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Hey Dave, let me know when you're heading to Duluth, if the timing is right I'd love to ride up there myself, to check on what they will do for my Dariens. Seems I've worn out the gore-tex lining , and need to have it repaired. I love the two piece Darien set up, though I would like the one piece, I just can't justify a one piece on our budget, when the two piece works just fine.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Dave, better check as I believe they no longer offer the instore discount (which I’ve used twice). Sorry. STill worth it though, and you get to try it on. My last time I got different sized Roadcrafter jacket and pants. Got a good fit. And they offer off the rack short sizes.

John
I was on their website this weekend and saw they mentioned it. 5% off if I am reading this right. It is just a hop skip and jump away from me so worth the trip to get fitted even if no discount.

Hey Dave, let me know when you're heading to Duluth, if the timing is right I'd love to ride up there myself, to check on what they will do for my Dariens. Seems I've worn out the gore-tex lining , and need to have it repaired. I love the two piece Darien set up, though I would like the one piece, I just can't justify a one piece on our budget, when the two piece works just fine.
Yeah I am kind of torn on 1 vs 2. It is so rare that I ride without pants that I think I will just go 1 piece. Did I just say I ride without pants... o_O I will let you know when I am going to make the trip. It may not be for a while though. I am swamped right now so I will have to make the old pants work. Not that it matters much looking at the forecast for this week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Have you considered "Bohn Body Amour" brand? I bought the pants and shirt last summer and tested with a real life high side get off. The armor worked great. You wear these under normal jeans or pants and though not abrasion resistant they cushion the impact.
Cruisemans Garage did a review on them and he liked them also.
Just FYI if you were interested.
Thanks for the tip. I haven't read about them before. Not interested in something I would wear under my paints though. I commute on my bikes more than I have time to get out for road trips being we have kids. I don't think I would like wearing them under my work clothing (business casual, think dockers and polo shirts). I also use my gear as protection so I am not covered in bugs and such all day. They might be nice if I was doing more trips than commuting though.

I wear Bohn Armor, but still have to have good pants. I have Aerostich jeans and Joe Rocket Mesh pants. I think the OP just needed an excuse for a Roadcrafter.
Always need an excuse for a big purchase. The driving factors for Stich for me is the longevity of them from people I know who ride them. They are local for me so repairs are easier. Again, I mainly commute so I like the idea of easy entry/exit of a 1 piece. They are not much more than any other of the higher quality options out there. My biggest concern will be heat in the summer. I think it is the R3 that is the lighter weight option and I am leaning that direction.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
I blew out the zipper on my Tourmasters Venture after two years of riding. The pants where good except for the zipper. I found a store that sold heavy duty zippers and replaced both legs. That was seven years ago. They are easy to replace and no need to remove all of the old zipper material or rip the pants leg open. Just remove the metal or the plastic part by cutting the heavy material right next to the zipper. Leave the fabric of the old zipper and use that material and sew the new zipper to it. Less than and hour for both legs. Less than $20 for both zippers.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I blew out the zipper on my Tourmasters Venture after two years of riding. The pants where good except for the zipper. I found a store that sold heavy duty zippers and replaced both legs. That was seven years ago. They are easy to replace and no need to remove all of the old zipper material or rip the pants leg open. Just remove the metal or the plastic part by cutting the heavy material right next to the zipper. Leave the fabric of the old zipper and use that material and sew the new zipper to it. Less than and hour for both legs. Less than $20 for both zippers.
The zipper issue was from a few years ago. This is an old thread that someone dug up which I originally started. The current issue is that the waist adjustment tab separated from the pants. How they have the velcro adjustment that goes through the plastic loop. The part with the plastic loop ripped out of where it attaches to the pants. I can still tighten the other side or drink more beer and make them fit without the need for adjustment so they still work. I think it is time to upgrade to something newer as my jacket is also quite old but serviceable.

Top Bottom