Need new pants

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Well I bought a pair of Tourmaster Venture Air Paints (mesh) a year ago from Revzilla. I was having issue with the zipper on the left leg blowing out all the time last fall. I contacted Tourmaster and they said to contact Revzilla to facilitate the warranty repair/replacement. So around December I sent them in to Revzilla and just got a call back from them a couple minutes ago. They determined that they were not going to repair my pants but rather replace them. He asked if I wanted him to ship out a new pair or if I would like credit for the replacement cost. I thought about it for a minute and honestly I don't know how much I liked those pants. They were OK but not that great. So I opted for credit.

So now I need some pants. I will be buying from Revzilla since that is where my credit will be. That rules out Aerostich. I still might get a Roadcrafter suit at some point but not in the cards right at this moment. I have blown too much money on home brewing gear, parts for the ST and guns.

While I have a Tourmaster jacket that I will be wearing I am not limiting choices to them. What had me hesitant about getting another set of the same pants is that I read some reviews of others having the same issue. I should have about $200 in credit with them for pants but am fine with spending a little more to get something good.

So what do people have out there that they like?

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
So a couple votes for Olympia.

These are on pre-order so not sure how long it will take to get but I kind of like the Alpinestar Andes Drystar. Black and high vis would be cool for my high vis jacket.

I like how they come with suspenders for the pants. Is that an option with the Olympia pants?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-andes-drystar-pants

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
The older ones the rain liner is also the insulated liner.
Quilted and does ok at blocking the wind.
Waterproof it aint. Resistant is closer.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
The older ones the rain liner is also the insulated liner.
Waterproof it aint. Resistant is closer.
I guess I am not looking for something totally waterproof. I have a rain suit that I wear over my other gear if it is really raining. I would still do that. This is more for the light mist stuff that I might run across that isn't a big enough rain to mess with stopping to suit up.

First thought has me saying I don't know if I like the rain and insulation liner being one in the same. However in the summer it isn't like I rode with the rain liner and if there was rain, I wouldn't stop, put the rain liner in and then put the rain suit on. I would just put the rain suit on. I used the rain liner and insulation liner together most of the time as more of a wind blocker/insulation.

How warm are these in cold temps?

These look pretty nice.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-kathmandu-overpants

I wish they had them in all black. I do like the suspenders the D3O T5 CE Armor and YKK Zippers.

Oh and they have tall sizes. I have a 36" inseam. That is what I liked about Tourmaster.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
They work for misty rain on the 50 min commute.
I wore them for the 12? ride they were fine but it was only 50 minutes.
The quilting is thin but they block the wind ok.
The only long distance at 32 it was sleating so I had rain gear over them no issues lol. I bet they'd be ok for cooler temps if your boots keep your feet warm.
They're also what I wear when its 100 without the liners. The mesh is in the right place and the lower leg part blocks the heat.
Dont know if they have a long versionn. 34" waist ones I'm 32" inseem are ok but not on the long side.

The 1st gear look interesting I like the suspender part.

Don't know for my next set up if I'd go mesh all over and just deal with putting on rain gear or find something waterproof on the outside and hope the venting works in the heat.
Stich (probably 2 pc) is not in the current budget...

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
I just got a pair of the Olympic pants and like them so far. They are good in 38 degree weather. That was a 65 mile ride at 60mph. I have not tried them in the rain yet. Mine were a 42 waist and I am 6'6" tall and they do a great job keeping the wind off my ankels. That was a selling point for me since it is hard finding pants long enough with a 36" inseam

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Olympia Airglide III would be my choice.
+1! I wear mine year round even in the coldest weather with the rain liner and fleece lined jeans. In the Summer I wear shorts, or just briefs if it's really hot.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Don't let the suspenders be your deciding factor. My old favorite pants that I used for years didn't come with any, but to make walking around when off the bike easier, we added some- and they worked very well. My wife just took clamp-on suspenders, the kind that pinch the fabric to attach- and folded a piece of thin leather over the top of the waist of the pants before clamping over the leather. This kept from damaging the pants, gave the suspenders something to bite onto, and they didn't move for the couple years I used them like that. Cheap, and very functional without damaging the pants.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I've been mostly pleased with Rev'it Horizon pants, I've worn them daily since I bought them this past December.

They are truly waterproof on the outside surface, warm well into the teens (fahrenheit), and a comfortable fit, the only drawback is the front (fly) zipper, which is either a shoddy component, or poorly installed. Revzilla has replaced the pants twice now due to the zipper.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I think I am going to try and run out to Bob's Cycle (local MC shop) and see what they have that I can try on and check out in person. I think that will help me make up my mind on what I want. I am leaning toward the Airglide III right now. Though I like some of the things I saw with the Alpinesar and Firstgear.

If I go with one of those two I may be moving away from mesh. I really am trying to keep the cost at less than $300. From what I have seen in the videos I like the Firstgear Kathmando the most for functionality but least for color. In the color department I like the Alpinestar Andes Drystar the best with the high viz accents. The Olympia seems to have high marks from others here. When I bought my Tourmaster mesh jacket I was really looking hard at the Olympia X Moto Jacket. I didn't go that route mainly because with the liners I needed one size but if I pulled them out none of the padding would line up and I was swimming in the jacket. At $480 for a jacket I was in Aerostich range and being they are just down the road from me, I could go get one custom made for about the same money that fits right. I do want to try on the Olympia since it doesn't have a tall option, it would be nice to see how the length is.

That is why I don't want to spend a ton on this. If I start spending too much I will be kicking myself for not just running up to Duluth and getting a Roadcrafter.

I guess that is a reason I should look harder at the Olympia or a mesh in general. There may be times where I want a mesh. If I get the Roadcrafter that would be great for colder weather and when it is really hot and steamy out I could go with the mesh rather than have another pant which is so close to the Aerostich.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I've been mostly pleased with Rev'it Horizon pants, I've worn them daily since I bought them this past December.

They are truly waterproof on the outside surface, warm well into the teens (fahrenheit), and a comfortable fit, the only drawback is the front (fly) zipper, which is either a shoddy component, or poorly installed. Revzilla has replaced the pants twice now due to the zipper.
I saw those, but they are getting a little on the expensive side. I would really like to stay closer to $200 but will go up a little from there. $240-260 if I really liked it. Really don't want to go any more than that. It would be easier to bump up the price on that for features that I like.

In watching some of their videos here are things I like in no particular order.

suspenders
a hook style fastener at the waist rather than just a snap
fair water proofing
insulation but not too hot so it needs venting
tall sizes a plus
would prefer black or high viz accents
good zippers (last two pants the leg zipper has failed on. Joe Rocket lasted 5 years (acceptable) Tourmaster 5 months (not acceptable)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have an older set of the Olympia air glides and also have the recon.

While I like the fact that the recon pants have a leg cargo pocket - perfect for wallets - I wish they would not come with the pant-to-shorts conversion.. .that zipper sometimes starts to open up and also it's tough getting them on w/boots on so you have to put them on THEN put your boots on. With the airglides, they have hip-length zippers so it doesn't matter.

Definitely try them on somewhere if you can. Olympia pants seem to be the closest to a custom fit I've gotten whereas tourmaster and first gear and a few others run large and just a different cut.

Bike
2014 FJR 1300 ES
I bought a pair of Olympia Ranger pants two years ago for a 'all season' pant. Very well satisfied with them. Waterproof and not to hot in the summer.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I have an older set of the Olympia air glides and also have the recon.

While I like the fact that the recon pants have a leg cargo pocket - perfect for wallets - I wish they would not come with the pant-to-shorts conversion.. .that zipper sometimes starts to open up and also it's tough getting them on w/boots on so you have to put them on THEN put your boots on. With the airglides, they have hip-length zippers so it doesn't matter.

Definitely try them on somewhere if you can. Olympia pants seem to be the closest to a custom fit I've gotten whereas tourmaster and first gear and a few others run large and just a different cut.
Yep, pockets are another thing I like.

I was just online at Bobs to see what time they opened and looked at what they have. No Olympia.... They do have Alpinestars and Firstgear.

I guess that worst case will be to try the others and order a pair of the Olympia. They have an easy return policy so if I don't like it I can exchange it for one of the others that I can see in person today.

I should add that while there are other MC shops in the area. They have a very limited supply of apparel. They are more into selling bikes. Bob's doesn't sell bikes. Just accessories, parts, clothing and such.

Last edited:
Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
I have personally CRASH tested Fieldshere Mercury pants. 100' black top slide. I replaced them with another pair. They will be warm above 80 degrees F.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I like the First Gear stuff for the tall sizes. Bought a pair of the semi-mesh pants 3 years ago and still going strong. No suspenders on.my model.

Top Bottom