Need new pants

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I was on their website this weekend and saw they mentioned it. 5% off if I am reading this right. It is just a hop skip and jump away from me so worth the trip to get fitted even if no discount.

Yeah I am kind of torn on 1 vs 2. It is so rare that I ride without pants that I think I will just go 1 piece. Did I just say I ride without pants... o_O I will let you know when I am going to make the trip. It may not be for a while though. I am swamped right now so I will have to make the old pants work. Not that it matters much looking at the forecast for this week.
Regarding the one-piece/two-piece decision, for me it depends where I'm riding. If I'm commuting to work and want to have street clothes at the other end of the ride then a one-piece is the easiest. But if I'm touring and riding all day then I wear a base layer under a two-piece suit. That way I can take the jacket off when I stop, for a meal, for a picture, whatever. This is the reason I have two sets of Olympia gear, one for each scenario.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I bought a pair of Aerostich AD1 pants last year. I really like them and they even give a 20% discount to Ridercoaches.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
So, I kind of did a little of each today. Guaglio and I made a run to Duluth this morning. It was pretty foggy and cool as we set off but it turned out the weatherman got it right and it was a perfect day to get out on the bikes. I had an appt at Aerostich for 10:30 and we pulled in at about 10:15. I worked with a couple of the staff and they went through the fitting process for a custom R3 suit. The off the shelf fit OK but as they sized me up on their retired Honda then on my 1300 out in the street, they confirmed making some adjustments to the legs and arms to fit my lanky build. I ended up going with Tan and Black for the ballistics. I like the look of the Cousin Jeremy but I am unsure about the long term durability of it. I didn't want all black and while I wear hi-vis today, I wasn't sure I wanted that this time. Then I did a few other options like the pen pocket, added Velcro and such.

I got home and I dug up an old thread on AdvRider where I remembered people buying the back protector from somewhere else. I ended up ordering a Bohn Euro-RR Aerostich back protector. That didn't take long to burn through $1500.

I have wanted one for a few years as the easy on/off is something I want to take advantage of. I wanted a one piece for the type of riding I do most of the time. I get they are not right for everyone. While there are other options out there for a 1 piece, Aerostich is so close to me that it is hard to look at other options knowing I would settle for an off the shelf size because it isn't practical to go there for a fitting or they don't offer that service.

They said I should have it in 2 weeks. That isn't too bad for a turn around.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Congrats, Dave! Great folks at the shop to get you fitted right. BTDTx2

Regards, John
Yeah I figured I would start with the 1 piece. I can always go back and get a custom 2 piece later should I want one but as of now I see the 1 piece being better for my commuting which is where I see the most miles.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Back when I got my 2-piece stich I stopped off at an auto supply on my way home from work one day with the full suit on. The older guy behind the counter looked at me and asked "are you cold son?" That was about 25 years ago, I don't think that kind of gear was as common then as it is now.

Top Bottom