Coolant leak around water pump cover?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a similar problem on my 82,000 mile 2002 ST1300A. I have replaced the O ring seal and still have the leak but notice that the o ring is not a good snug fit in the grooe of the water pump cover. This makes it easy for the O ring to displace during refitting of the cover. Today I enquired of David Silver U.K as to whether the early ST1300 O ring has a different part number and was quoted a different one to that ordered/ I recently replaced. The early part number is 19226 MCS 000 compared to the one I fitted earlier of 19226MCSA10 which looked the same as the 1st I replaced which was not a good fit either. That probably wasn't the original as the bike has had a clutch change in prior ownership. Any thoughts please?
If the cover is not properly torqued down, it will cause warping of that cover, thus a leak!

If you have torqued it down to proper values, I would check the cover on a really flat surface, and also check the main engine front cover, make sure it is clean and flat.

Always replace that pump cover o-ring type gasket when it's been apart.

I have a similar issue with a coolant leak around the water pump cover. Replaced the o-ring gasket used some silicone put cover and is still leaking. Noticed when I had the cover off one of the dowel pins had seized into the cover instead of being free flowing in block. Has anyone had an issue similar? Could the dowel pin be and issue? Please reply if you have changed the cover.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Here's a link to a post on our forum that has several pictures of the ST 1300 water pump and front engine cover when disassembled - the purpose of the post is to help folks figure out and understand where coolant leaks are coming from, and what (if anything) to do to solve the problem.

Water Pump Weep Holes

Michael

Top Bottom