BT45 tire cracking???

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
That has my vote for the cause. MC tires are just not constructed with use at those temperatures seen as a possibility. Car tires handle it. but their carcase is very different.
I recall how shocked I was the first time I felt how thin a dead front MC tire was.
Glad you found out the down side to frigid temps by looking and not crashing.

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
I got word back from Bridgestone today. There response is essentially that they are aware of cracking problems with their tires in cold weather, and that it isn't covered under warranty. I'm going to try a little harder...I asked them just what are the temperature ratings of their tires, because I want to ensure it doesn't happen again. I also stated that I'm concerned that Bridgestone tires may not be up to use in New England.

While my temperature was an extreme example, what bothers me is that they are aware of it happening to others, and that they didn't specify a temperature. What is the minimum? Many of use use Bridgestones on our bikes, and many ST riders ride in cold temperatures including trips to Alaska. If the minimum rating is below zero, no problem- I'll just keep my bike stored, and only ride in temperatures above that. But if their minimum is 32 degrees, for example, I consider that unreasonable, and won't dare to run a Bridgestone again.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I'm considering mounting up an BT45 on my front.. maybe I should consider one of the other DS fronts? I may never hot 20 below here in the mid-west but I don't like them admitting they have an issue but not changing or warning folks.

Or offering replacements when a known problem occurs.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
There response is essentially that they are aware of cracking problems with their tires in cold weather, and that it isn't covered under warranty.
Wow! Sounds like risk management is at work ... like they're waiting for a lawsuit to begin before taking proactive measures ... or hoping that any post-accident investigation doesn't expose their tire as faulty.

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
Well my e-mails are being forwarded around Bridgestone as we speak...LOL. As I had mentioned before I don't expect coverage for this tire- I ran it in double-dark format, and ran it in extreme weather. But just as T_C said, the scary part is that they are aware of cold weather problems (doubtful many other riders ride at -20f, so what temps did THEIR problems occur at?), and that they haven't been able to state a specific temperature rating.

The most I can find in print from Bridgestone is:
"High performance motorcycle tires may crack in the tread area from impact or deformation at low ambient temperatures. Handle and store the tires with care. Always ride carefully until the tires are warmed up, particularly in low ambient temperature conditions."

So...what is "low ambient temperature"? 50 degrees? 32? Zero? -20?

If they can give me an official number, and I find it reasonable, I'll continue using Bridgestones. However if they can't give me a number, or its unreasonably high, I'll have to avoid these. It would be quite inconvenient to take a trip to Canada in May and have to call ahead to ensure that I can find enclosed, heated parking for the bike overnight.

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
Their last e-mail to me did mention that they experienced this at freezing or below temperatures, but the way it was written didn't sound like an official statement; it sounded like something the writer of the e-mail made up on the spot. If that is, indeed, their official stance- I won't be running any more Bridgestone tires. I've seen below freezing temps in July where I live!

Bike
1994 ST1100
This is a valuable info for us, whom ride in low temperatures. I like Bridgestone, but after this- just out of principle how they're approaching this issue I doubt that I'll get another one.

Dumb question, what's "double dark format"?

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
Dumb question, what's "double dark format"?
Running a rear tire in the front. Except for the cold issue...that worked very well. I do NOT want to eliminate this tire...well over 20k miles out of the last one and this one was wearing well until the damage from the cold. But if I can't trust the tire at temps below freezing...that leaves about a 4-week window to ride in up here...LOL.

Bike
1994 ST1100
Thanks. But I don't always check the tires. Many times in the morning I wake up after I take off to work. And that could be dangerous- and they know about it (cracking). That's what's ticking me off.

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
From one of their e-mails...their solution to the situation:

"I forwarded this back to our motorcycle rep. however in the summer you should be fine, but in the winter time you will most likely run into this issue if the tire is exposed to colder than freezing conditions."

Yea...so their tires are seasonal...and not even seasonal up here, since we can hit freezing temps in at least 10 months of the year. If this is actually their position, and they won't stand behind their tires if used below freezing, they really should have a warning on every tire.

I was lucky I caught the damage when I did. I had used the bike twice during the week but didn't check the tires over. I was giving everything a closer look since I was heading out for a 400+ mile day, and planed on possibly doing another 400+ miles the next day. I couldn't imagine what would have happened if I got out on the highway with that tire...

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well my e-mails are being forwarded around Bridgestone as we speak...LOL. As I had mentioned before I don't expect coverage for this tire- I ran it in double-dark format, and ran it in extreme weather. But just as T_C said, the scary part is that they are aware of cold weather problems (doubtful many other riders ride at -20f, so what temps did THEIR problems occur at?), and that they haven't been able to state a specific temperature rating.

The most I can find in print from Bridgestone is:
"High performance motorcycle tires may crack in the tread area from impact or deformation at low ambient temperatures. Handle and store the tires with care. Always ride carefully until the tires are warmed up, particularly in low ambient temperature conditions."

So...what is "low ambient temperature"? 50 degrees? 32? Zero? -20?

If they can give me an official number, and I find it reasonable, I'll continue using Bridgestones. However if they can't give me a number, or its unreasonably high, I'll have to avoid these. It would be quite inconvenient to take a trip to Canada in May and have to call ahead to ensure that I can find enclosed, heated parking for the bike overnight.
So have you found any other manufacturers that make a motorcycle tire that is good for cold riding or for the conditions you ride in?

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
So have you found any other manufacturers that make a motorcycle tire that is good for cold riding or for the conditions you ride in?
I haven't found any other tires that are limited by temperature yet. I am browsing any other MFG's warranty info as I get time though.

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
I just got the official word back from Bridgestone. Their official position is that their tires will not hold up below freezing temperatures. As much as I love the life I got out of my last BT45, I'll be waiting to install the new one that was already purchased until I get into the shop so I have a heated place to park the ST. I'll use this one for the summer, then go with another brand before fall.

I would have felt much better if they would have given a colder rating- for example, their tires are rated down to zero. That would be easy to avoid. But freezing? That eliminates 10 months of our riding.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Interesting Jim. Water freezing temperature should have nothing to do with the rubber compound temperature rating (unless it absorbs water).

But at least they responded. :)

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
What bothers me the most is that although my case was an extreme example, their position is that "you will most likely run into this issue if the tire is exposed to colder than freezing conditions." and "Jim, the tires have experienced this type of cracking due to being in freezing and below conditions."

Not "ridden in", or "used in"; but "exposed to" and "being in". So apparently their tires are not to be stored in below freezing temperatures. It also bothers me that they are aware of other Bridgestone tires cracking but don't feel the need to put a warning on the tires. I could see if this was an ultra high performance tire...but a TOURING tire?

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I ran my BT45 below freezing with no problems noted. Our weather is not as extreme as yours thank god!!

I just installed another new BT45 after I wore off the sides in 18,000 miles, the center had a bunch of rubber left.

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
I ran my BT45 below freezing with no problems noted. Our weather is not as extreme as yours thank god!!

I just installed another new BT45 after I wore off the sides in 18,000 miles, the center had a bunch of rubber left.
I'm not so much concerned with what the tires will actually work at...I was very happy with my first one, and I'll be mounting another on. I was more shocked by the stand that they took. Not that they didn't warranty this one- that I expected- but that they are covering themselves by going to the extreme of saying that their tires should not be exposed to below-freezing temperatures.

If I were to take that literally, I'd be sending back the BT45 that is sitting in my hall, which was left on my porch and sat there all day in below-freezing temps. I know better, you know better, but apparently they want to go to extremes.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I was looking to go dark and this thread has steered me away from the BT45. I just ordered a Pilot Active rear for the front and will probably go with the Hankook on the rear.

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
I LOVE the Hankook. I also loved how my first BT45 worked. I think I'm going to take a hard look at where I will use this bike. If I don't have a dualsport/adventure bike by next fall, I'll either discontinue use of the Bridgestone, or get a 2nd wheel to mount a tire that is more suited to the cold temperatures.

I'm up in the air with regards to my feelings about using Bridgestone tires again. On one side I'd love to avoid them mainly based on their attitude about what conditions a touring tire should be used in. On the other hand, with the exception of the extreme cold weather use (which I could avoid), I was very happy with how the first BT45 performed and, most importantly, lasted.

Do I cut off the nose to spite the face and dismiss Bridgestone, and lose out on a tire that has already saved me lots of money?

Top Bottom