EMGO air filter .... anyone have experience with it ?

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
Hi,
Anyone using the below as of now ?

2003-2009 HONDA ST1300 AIR FILTER HONDA 17210-MCS-G00, Brand: EMGO, Manufacturer Part Number: 12-91462-CR, Weight: 1.00, Stock Photo - Actual parts may vary, Manufacturer: EMGO
by Emgo
Be the first to review this item

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Price: $28.60

This is off of Amazon and wondering if I'm really "saving" with it or asking for trouble. About $8 + shipping less than OEM 17210-MCS-G00.

THANKS and happy "time for tech days" to all !

http://www.amazon.com/2003-2009-HONDA-ST1300-FILTER-17210-MCS-G00/dp/B009LQ4UC8

b.carez

Bill Carez
Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
I have not had any experience with this product. I have had some experience with a couple of other EMGO products and felt that I got what I paid for if you know what I mean. I had a set of bark buster type hand guards for my DRZ 400 that were very weak. I also had a battery tender with that name on it that lasted for a while but then cooked a battery on that same bike. Not a big fan of their stuff.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've used the emgo brand oil filters on my wings previously and they were good enough.

OP
OP
Bike
2015 FJR1300A
I have not had any experience with this product. I have had some experience with a couple of other EMGO products and felt that I got what I paid for if you know what I mean. I had a set of bark buster type hand guards for my DRZ 400 that were very weak. I also had a battery tender with that name on it that lasted for a while but then cooked a battery on that same bike. Not a big fan of their stuff.
I've used the emgo brand oil filters on my wings previously and they were good enough.
THANK YOU gentlemen ! Based on price.... if it's 80% as good as OEM and 65% as an original from Honda , I am no worse off with this one. BUT, if I don't want to be replacing it much sooner than a genuine Honda and trying to time having an almost empty gas tank with checking on the condition of the filter.... go with the good one :)

Bike
2006 ST1300
THANK YOU gentlemen ! Based on price.... if it's 80% as good as OEM and 65% as an original from Honda , I am no worse off with this one. BUT, if I don't want to be replacing it much sooner than a genuine Honda and trying to time having an almost empty gas tank with checking on the condition of the filter.... go with the good one :)
Replacement time won't have anything to do with the quality, that is purely up to the amount of dirt/contamination the filter is subject to. Honda or aftermarket, they should dirty at about the same rate.

What you should be concerned with are the fitment, and the filtering qualities. Will it fit and seal as good as OEM? Will the filter last well without flaws or defects? And will it filter as well, not allowing fine particles to pass through? Being paper, it should filter well, at least better than the course cloth ones. So it mainly comes down to fitment and quality. I have no input there, as I haven't used one.

Personally I'm amazed at how long my filters have lasted on my ST- even at my mileage, I only change once a year, 25k for the first filter, 30k for the next. At a price difference of $8 a year for all those miles, I'll stick with the peace of mind the OEM gives me. I'm not saying not to use the Emgo...I just feel better going with OEM for the sake of $8 a year. For someone riding less that may be only $4 a year.

Now, if we were talking the 1100, where a rider can save a bundle over the dealer filter, it would be a different story. I replaced my 1100 filter in Kentucky, for a whopping $4 at an auto part's store. Using the trick of sealing the slightly shorter filter with a length of hose, it fit well and sealed.

OP
OP
Bike
2015 FJR1300A
Replacement time won't have anything to do with the quality, that is purely up to the amount of dirt/contamination the filter is subject to. Honda or aftermarket, they should dirty at about the same rate.

What you should be concerned with are the fitment, and the filtering qualities. Will it fit and seal as good as OEM? Will the filter last well without flaws or defects? And will it filter as well, not allowing fine particles to pass through? Being paper, it should filter well, at least better than the course cloth ones. So it mainly comes down to fitment and quality. I have no input there, as I haven't used one.

Personally I'm amazed at how long my filters have lasted on my ST- even at my mileage, I only change once a year, 25k for the first filter, 30k for the next. At a price difference of $8 a year for all those miles, I'll stick with the peace of mind the OEM gives me. I'm not saying not to use the Emgo...I just feel better going with OEM for the sake of $8 a year. For someone riding less that may be only $4 a year.

Now, if we were talking the 1100, where a rider can save a bundle over the dealer filter, it would be a different story. I replaced my 1100 filter in Kentucky, for a whopping $4 at an auto part's store. Using the trick of sealing the slightly shorter filter with a length of hose, it fit well and sealed.
THANKS for the thoughts. I'm pretty sure we looked @ it when I got the cycle with 9,500 miles on it. 2 yrs + 10 days ago and some 33,000 miles later, I'd say if it still is there.... it's time to retire it ! THANKS again

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I recently bought the Emgo filter for my 1300. I was impressed by the apparent quality. It looks to be as good as the Honda filter as far as I can tell.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I'm running an EMGO in one of my 1100s, and I've used their products before on earlier bikes, never a problem. Used to be the EMGO brand was what JC Whitney shipped for filters.

I met Emelio Gomez at Isle Of Man in '99, he's a regular guy and really luvs bikes.

OP
OP
Bike
2015 FJR1300A
THANKS all. I got the opportunity to FINALLY get to my cycle last evening about 9:15. I am surprised my Steed could even breath...there was so much dirt and insect body parts that I am for sure ordering a new one TODAY. I did a temporary cleaning of it and if the instant MPG guage is any indication of future performance.... I should have done this before last years 15,000 ! Anyway, I was so impressed with the exterior casing of the filter that I was going to suck up the $$$ difference and buy OEM, but now with 2 more "+" comments on the EMGO.... I have to ask : Is the EMGO as solid as EOM both inside and out ?

THANKS:bow1: WOODYBELLE and GEORGE , I thought I was including your quotes as a way of saying THANKS to you, but I goofed... so thanks

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
The Emgo is just like the Honda filter in that it has the nice metal mesh on the outside. When I ordered mine from a seller on Amazon it looked like it did not have the metal mesh on the outside in their picture, but when I got it I was pleasantly surprised to see that it had the same mesh.

OP
OP
Bike
2015 FJR1300A
The Emgo is just like the Honda filter in that it has the nice metal mesh on the outside. When I ordered mine from a seller on Amazon it looked like it did not have the metal mesh on the outside in their picture, but when I got it I was pleasantly surprised to see that it had the same mesh.
THANK YOU Sir ! Based on your experience, I'm giving the EMGO a try. Nothing worse than trying to save some $ and come to find out it's more of a cost than a savings, so your input was of high value to me. No idea how old your pic of your injured hand is, but I sure hope it has ( or is) mended. I felt pain just looking at it.

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
The hand pic was from 2 1/2 years ago, good as new now. Hit it with a flooring mallet, yeah it hurt like hell for a little bit. Thanks for the well wishes.

OP
OP
Bike
2015 FJR1300A
Filter is here...LOOKS great and just need to use up another gallon & will get it installed. THANKS for the help everyone

UPDATE : 3/19.....30 minutes & new filter is in. If interested in seeing comparison pics, please check my gallery....since I can't figure out how to add pics to this post ! Only visual difference is the foam gasket seems to be 2x as thick as OEM, but caused NO installation issues. Will hopefully get another 42,000 out of this one and maintain about 43MPG. I'll check it after this riding season....about 12,000 miles I hope.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
An update on my position about the EMGO filter. I purchased one this spring for a great price. It fit well and has worked well all summer. I'm happy with it.

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Picked one up as a back up for our K&N filter. For $17 on Amazon, if I didn't have the K&N, that's a price I feel is reasonable for the ST's air filter. Quality seems to be on par with the OEM (keeping in mind, Honda doesn't make the air filter so, who knows, maybe Emgo makes them for Honda). I'm impressed with the filter and would recommend it.
+1. I got one from Amazon ... it is well constructed (although I've yet to install it). :)

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
On the EMGO products: I believe they order from the same manufacture as OEM,,, virtually identical. I've been using their products for years 'n years.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Nothing wrong with an Emgo filter. I've used them before. I purchased a Hiflo filtro filter as well. Fit well and looks like top quality. OEM prices are too inflated and that doesn't mean the filter is "better"

Attachments

Top Bottom