170/60ZR17 BT023GT Premature Demise!

Bike
2004 ST1300A4
Have used both the BT023 and the BT023GT dual compound tires - both rear tyres have exhibited very fast wear rates on the soft compound shoulders, the 023 giving about 5K before changing and the 023GTs letting me down badly in Sweden where the rear got down to canvas at 5500 miles (cost me ?300 to replace with a standard BT020F). Although I religiously run my tires at 42 psi, I have been advised to run the rear at up to 50 psi (!) if riding fully loaded - don't think I'm that brave, so will compromise at 45 psi. I found the 023s and 023GTs to have excellent grip, but once the shoulders get down to the wear markers, they then go completely bald within 200/300 miles. Will be trying the Road Pilot 3s next.

Attachments

Bike
05 ST1300
I pretty much agree with what's been said above. Also agree with what's said about PR2 short life. Up till the last 12 months or so, we here in Canada have paid 2x the prices the Americans pay for MC tires. I decided to go Hankook on the back, and for me, it works well. $100 per tire cheaper, and 2x the miles.

OP
OP
roxzor
Manx: Thanks for the confirmation of my findings with the pics and info you provided. Looks like the increased cost of the PR3 is more economical in the long run!

Art: The car tire idea scares me. May work for guys that don't throw the bike into hair pin corners, but I would most definitely crash out on them at some point. The contact patch just isn't there when leaned over to extremes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
roxzor
I recently replaced both the front and rear BT023GTs with a set of Angel GTs. Wow. What a difference. Far superior tire. Better grip and more precise turn in. So far, the rear has over 3000 miles on it and seems to be about half way. I have found optimal pressure for this tire is 40 PSI Front and 42 Rear. 42 up front doesn't get the tire up to proper operating temperature unless I'm two up. I weigh 250 pounds geared up. At 40 PSI I'm getting a 4-6 PSI rise in temperature depending on riding aggressiveness and ambient temperature. I ride this bike to its limits and these tires seem to have more lean angle in reserve than the BT023GTs - I have small chicken strips even after dragging the pegs hard! Woot!

These handle better than the PR3s. The PR3s squirmed and flexed under hard load at the apex. Not so with these bad boys. Not sure on longevity but I will try and remember to updated this post with mileage totals once they wear out.

-Tyson

Top Bottom