ST 1100 fork spacer

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
.... Anything wrong with (for just a quick change) leaving the forks on the bike, opening the drain screw, measuring what comes out and replacing with an equal amount?
Thanks for the help guys.
I wouldn't do that. You need to pump the fork several times to get the old oil out. It really is not that bad to take off the forks, I was intimidated at first, now don't even hestite to take off the forks. It is three hex screws and the forks slide right out. Follow your manual and you will not have a problem. You really should measure from the top of the fork down with measuring tool to get an actuate reading with the forks compressed.
I agree with Dave. R&R your suspension fluid properly by pulling the forks to insure you get the fluid levels correct/to spec, per the manual, same as any shop would do the job. Don't use the quantity shortcut method. ST1100 standard models do have the handy lower fork slider drain holes to use to get all the gunk out of the bottoms, flushing a number of times with ATF. If I have the time, I leave the forks slightly tipped up with the drain holes positioned on the bottom over a catch basin overnight. You might be surprised at the fine shiny particles in the last little drops of fluid at the holes in the morning.

John

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Oh yeah, regarding Progressive Suspension spring install instructions - there's been some confusion over the years about suspension fluid levels after a PS install. The instructions indicate a generic level of 5.5" or somesuch (sorry, I'm not home so don't have my old instructions avail to me), but that's for bikes without a spec... ST1100s do spec levels in the manual. Use them.

N.B. Adding 2 more inches of fluid than the actual spec makes for a very stiff ride and could result in blown fork seals.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
You will feel a lot better following that good advice. For me, knowing that I have done all I can to make things fresh again is huge. I am currently doing a lot of work to a Wing I picked up last fall. It will feel great to know where things are in the maintenance cycle.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I agree with Dave, R&R your suspension fluid properly by pulling the forks to insure you get the fluid levels correct/to spec, per the manual, same as any shop would do the job. Don't use the quantity shortcut method. ST1100 standard models do have the handy lower fork slider drain holes to use to get all the gunk out of the bottoms, flushing a number of times with ATF. If I have the time, I leave the forks slightly tipped up with the drain holes positioned on the bottom over a catch basin overnight. You might be surprised at the fine shiny particles in the last little drops of fluid at the holes in the morning.

John
I know it's not the proper way to go about it guys. Was just wondering if those steps could be used in a pinch if just wanting to do a quick (incomplete) oil change.
I've removed forks a number of times.

"I'm only needing to refresh the oil at present because I have no idea what's in there. If I'm reading this right, the fork cap will completely unscrew, and without any further disassembly will create enough gap to possibly use to either empty or fill oil?
Anything wrong with (for just a quick change) leaving the forks on the bike, opening the drain screw, measuring what comes out and replacing with an equal amount?"

Let us know how it goes Mark..

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
.... I have no idea what's in there...
All the more reason to do it right. A thorough pump-n-flush-dump x 3 cleaning and known, accurate, fluid levels.

But JMHO. Do what you want to, you wouldn't be the first to try to do it that way - to assume the levels were set correctly the last time and there's been no leaks/loss, and that you don't mind leaving in an ounce or more of the old fluid and bottom crud.

BTW, my last few times doing fork suspension fluid R&Rs, as a comparo/test, I poured in the quantity noted in the service manual. I then had to remove over an ounce to get down to the actual spec'd levels. IOW, overfilled by an inch (standard models, 41mm fork tubes). FWIW

John

Top Bottom