Rear Pedal to the floor

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
It looks like a ground wire to me too. Having a green wire with an un-insulated ring on the end is almost always a ground. My ST is non ABS or I'd go look for you but, assuming it is a ground, just find the closest bolt it will fit under! It had to be under one within reach. It looks like there might be a phillips head screw right below the black connector that would do the trick. That wire should have a "memory" of where it used to live, so where ever it naturally lays is probably pretty close to it's home.

OP
OP
IpswichST
Bike
1994 ST1100 ABS
STOC #
Ya I'm thinking of attaching it to where it naturally wants to go. I'm just wondering... Why is it loose? Not attached? Curious huh

OP
OP
IpswichST
Bike
1994 ST1100 ABS
STOC #
Ok... I found in my Haynes manual a picture of the ABS module and indeed that green wire attaches to the module right above where the green wire sits, looking at the first picture I posted. I'm guessing maybe the screw simply rattled out. Can't think of anything else.

Bike
ST1100 2000
Definitely looks like an earth wire and a high current draw one, but not been used for a while.

OP
OP
IpswichST
Bike
1994 ST1100 ABS
STOC #
I traced the green wire on the schematic in the service manual. It appears to be attached to the front modulator. Does that make sense ?

Here is a pic I found in another book. I doctored it to make it clearer. Im wondering if anyone knows what size this is? I figured I would simply grab a few metric (assume its metric) hex screws and see which one fits (8, 9, 10MM?)
MOdule.jpg

OP
OP
IpswichST
Bike
1994 ST1100 ABS
STOC #
6mm cap screw. I attached that ground wire, cleared the ABS codes and started it up. On the center stand I put it in gear and revved it (had to get it up to 6mph right?). I turned it off and checked the code.... Blinks were "long... Short" then "long... Nothing". For kicks I checked the ABS fuses... All good except the bottom 20A pump motor fuse. I didn't have a replacement so I haven't replaced it and re-run the test.

Any thoughts anyway?

OP
OP
IpswichST
Bike
1994 ST1100 ABS
STOC #
Ahh... you see, sometimes the obvious doesnt jump out at you.
The system cannot initialise itself until it can verify that both wheels are turning at the same speed - and for that, you need to have the bike rolling on the ground at more than about 5-6 mph
Of course both wheels need to be turning... there are sensors on both. I am learning more and more as I ask questions and read. Sorry if I post frequently... just anxious to understand.

OP
OP
IpswichST
Bike
1994 ST1100 ABS
STOC #
Well... I went for a ride on the bike at lunch time. Put a new 20A fuse in, cleared the code and went for a ride. The ABS light blinked the whole time :( I brought it back checked the codes and got : Long - Short. #1. No other codes. BUT.. that 20A fuse was popped again. Im gonna open the service manual and see what I can find.

Ok.. Following the flowchart in the service manual I have followed it to where it tells me to "interchange the front and rear pump motor relays with each other". Of course they are buried. Is there an easy way to get there????

ABS Gurus... What do you think is happening with my ABS system? Could on of those relays be the problem AND popping that 20A fuse also?

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100AW
A popping fuse would lead me to suspect either a short circuit on the abs supply wiring or a pump motor overload,
its possible that the pump has seized causing overload on the wiring, the abs cant see the pump turn so maybe thinks the angle sensor is at fault.
Trace the voltage through the relays(afaik they are under the top fairing) and see whats going on at the pump.
Could be worth powering the pump directly(through a fuse) and see does it work ok

OP
OP
IpswichST
Bike
1994 ST1100 ABS
STOC #
Could be worth powering the pump directly (through a fuse) and see does it work ok
Never done this. Is it possible to walk someone through this?

check the voltage between the pins on the sensor connector
Sensor connector? Are you referring to the relay? or the plug that attaches to the motor?

Im up for trying these troubleshooting suggestions. Im just new to all these systems and am unfamiliar with what I am supposed to look for. Thanks so much to everyone and their help!

Top Bottom