Yup, another tire changer thread...

Bike
2006 ST1300
This one is a bit different. Most of the threads are about people looking for a changer for at home, doing a couple tires a year, and mainly for our STs.

I'm looking for suggestions for a quality unit that will do ANY motorcycle tire (so a wide range of wheel sizes), is durable/quality enough to do a fair number of tires, but isn't too costly for a small shop starting out. I've seen the ones for $125-$190 that are the suggested ones for home use, and that is what I was going to get for myself...but now that I hope to pick up some customers, I want something that will have the widest range of fitment, and hold up to more tires.

With that said...also keep in mind, in my area, there just aren't that many motorcycles...and I won't be a MC-specific shop, so I will have a limited number of customers. The several thousand dollar, air-operated, professional level changers are out. Even the dealers don't have those here!

I have checked out the professional-level machines, and have to say...they look nearly identical to a regular automotive rim-clamp tire machine. With that said...who has changed motorcycle tires with an automotive machine (other than darkside...which is what I already do)? How do they work? The shop already has a rim clamp tire machine there. If that will do MC tires, then the problem is solved!

Local shops get $60+ to change a tire, and nobody in the area has a MC wheel balancer. I plan to offer the same service...WITH balancing...at a reduced rate, hoping to cut into some of the larger dealer's tire changing business. There is always the possibility of starting out with a basic changer, then upgrading if the volume picks up enough to make it worthwhile.

STranger

Jay Knight
Bike
99 ST1100
STOC #
I go to a guy that uses a regular rim clamp on the st rims and charges 10 bucks no balance. Harbor freight sells a cheap static balancer

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Jim,
My brother and I bought a unit similar to THIS one a few years back. I've only changed a hand full of tires with it myself, but he's done LOTS. We've done auto/pickup tires with it without issue. Got the adapters to do ATV tires too. It's worked well for us.

You may want to check to see if there are optional clamps for the machine in your shop.
ATTC289-4.jpg

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
My Uncle mounts tires using an automotive changer for his Goldwing. He is the supervisor for a city maint shop in the area. Kenb here does it as well and he is a shop teacher at local high school. I haven't witnessed it but it can be done. I don't see it being much different as long as the rim fits the machine.

For a tire balancer, I made one. I looked at a Marc Parnes balancer. http://www.marcparnes.com/

Then made my own. I bought some 2" round bar aluminum. Picks up some scrap off ebay for pretty cheap that was 2" long or so. Sizes didn't matter as long as both ends were the same diameter. Then I picked up some that was 4" long that I was going to make the cones out of but found that No Mar sells their cones for not much money. Less than what it was worth of my time to make them.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/category_s/38.htm

I then picked up some bearings that were sealed on one side and a steel rod that fit the cones.

Once I had all the bits I tossed the aluminum bar in my metal lathe, squared it off and then opened up a hole in the middle to fit my bearings. Then I took a little off the rod to fit the inside of my bearings. Before installing the bearings I cleaned all the grease from them with some gas and lubed them with a really light weight machine oil so they roll better. I can easily balance out tires to less than 1/4 oz but that is the least that I deal with. I position the balancer on a pair of pipe jacks that I have that have been leveled and go to town.

One member had me do a tire change for him a while back and was going to take his tire somewhere to get them balanced. Well I said I would toss them on the balancer to see if they were way off and I like to do that because you can see if you possibly didn't get the bead to seat evenly. I spun it and explained how it worked. He then had me balance the tire and skipped the dealer.

I thought I had a pic in my album. If you want one I can take one. The biggest issue you may run into is that different bikes take different size cones.

It wasn't hard to make. I think I spend $50 so making it but one would need a metal lathe. I know you mentioned setting up a fab shop but don't know if you plan on adding one or have access to one.

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
The two changers above (sirepair & Mellow's link) are so nearly identical to a regular automotive changer- which is already in the shop- is the reason I asked about the auto tire changer. I may give that a try and see how it works out. The big question will be whether it can clamp the larger front wheels of some bikes (like 21"), but if it can't I can fab up some adapters to make it work. If it doesn't work, or I end up getting a fairly high volume I'll just buy a dedicated MC tire machine.

I plan to price my service where I think is reasonable...I'm guessing $25 for off the street if the customer brings just the wheel. Considering that is M&B, and everyone else around here is more than double that just for the mounting, it should be a hit.

And I'll be posting this officially when the shop is open...but as a teaser...ST-O members who bring their wheels, or ride in and use the lift & tools to remove their own wheels, get M&B for FREE. I don't care if you buy tires through me or bring your own. I owe this group a huge THANKS for many things over the past couple years.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
The two changers above (sirepair & Mellow's link) are so nearly identical to a regular automotive changer- which is already in the shop- is the reason I asked about the auto tire changer. I may give that a try and see how it works out. The big question will be whether it can clamp the larger front wheels of some bikes (like 21"), but if it can't I can fab up some adapters to make it work. If it doesn't work, or I end up getting a fairly high volume I'll just buy a dedicated MC tire machine.

I plan to price my service where I think is reasonable...I'm guessing $25 for off the street if the customer brings just the wheel. Considering that is M&B, and everyone else around here is more than double that just for the mounting, it should be a hit.

And I'll be posting this officially when the shop is open...but as a teaser...ST-O members who bring their wheels, or ride in and use the lift & tools to remove their own wheels, get M&B for FREE. I don't care if you buy tires through me or bring your own. I owe this group a huge THANKS for many things over the past couple years.
Another service to consider is to offer not only disposal of the used tire but receiving a shipped tire from Two Bros or somewhere. That way they don't have to mess with getting a shipment.

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
Another service to consider is to offer not only disposal of the used tire but receiving a shipped tire from Two Bros or somewhere. That way they don't have to mess with getting a shipment.
That is just what I was thinking. In all honesty, I'm so far away from civilization that there probably won't be many members coming up here, but any way I can help those who do, will be available. I'd also happily mount a DS tire, as well as receive a delivery of one.

I'm trying to see what, if anything, is wrong with some of the discounted balancers found on ebay and elsewhere. I see them for under $50. If they work well, what is the advantage to spending more? I haven't use one yet, so this is an actual question, not a statement. I don't mind spending the extra money if there is an advantage- either to ease of use, accuracy, or quality. But if there is no advantage...I'll go with what works.

Having worked as a precision machinist at a large bearing mfg for 10 years, I know just what you are talking about on the bearings. Removing the seals and cleaning out the grease will make them operate smoother and easier, adding precision. I'll just have to make sure I store them in a clean/dry place, and seal them up while in storage.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
That is just what I was thinking. In all honesty, I'm so far away from civilization that there probably won't be many members coming up here, but any way I can help those who do, will be available. I'd also happily mount a DS tire, as well as receive a delivery of one.

I'm trying to see what, if anything, is wrong with some of the discounted balancers found on ebay and elsewhere. I see them for under $50. If they work well, what is the advantage to spending more? I haven't use one yet, so this is an actual question, not a statement. I don't mind spending the extra money if there is an advantage- either to ease of use, accuracy, or quality. But if there is no advantage...I'll go with what works.

Having worked as a precision machinist at a large bearing mfg for 10 years, I know just what you are talking about on the bearings. Removing the seals and cleaning out the grease will make them operate smoother and easier, adding precision. I'll just have to make sure I store them in a clean/dry place, and seal them up while in storage.
It might be a bit of a hassle with receiving the tires but I know people appreciate it and that will help drive business. Maybe you could work out a deal with 2 Bros or get set up as a distributor. Depends on how far you want to take it. For me and the few people a year I help out I just say shoot me a PM that a tire is on the way so I know to look for one and who it goes to. When it shows up I write a name on it or have them put their name on the order. Someone is at the house pretty much all the time so it isn't a big deal. The UPS and FedEx drivers are trained so they just put them out at my shop. I am sure they wonder how many miles I ride with all the tires I get shipped.

I store the end parts to my balancer with the bearings in another place. Since it is two small aluminum caps with bearings it doesn't take up much room. While they wouldn't last like this in a normal application, they won't see that many miles the way I use them and I can reapply oil before use easily. The only problem I have is when the kids are around. I spin the tire and it keeps going and going. Then they run by and spin it again.

With the ones on ebay. They will probably be fine. The only problem with them that I see is that they will likely be packed with grease. You could probably pull the seals, clean them out and lube them up like discussed and they would work just fine. Not a lot of difference from what I made other than there are more bearings. 4 vs the 2 that I used.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
It might be a bit of a hassle with receiving the tires but I know people appreciate it and that will help drive business.
There is plenty of room at the shop to store extra tires as long as needed, so no hassle at all. Since I also plan to start manufacturing some motorcycle parts & accessories, it will also give people an opportunity to see some of what I have to offer, and maybe have other work done at the same time. More information about this will be posted at a future time.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
There is plenty of room at the shop to store extra tires as long as needed, so no hassle at all. Since I also plan to start manufacturing some motorcycle parts & accessories, it will also give people an opportunity to see some of what I have to offer, and maybe have other work done at the same time. More information about this will be posted at a future time.
The only hassle I was talking about really is trying to keep what tire goes to what bike. Though that is a good problem to have if you know what I mean... Since I only do it from time to time, it isn't very often that I have tires for more than one person at a time though.

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
K & L Supply makes / imports quality stuff......tears (eons) ago, we changed 100 motorcycle tires on a Saturday with a manual unit from them.
If you are going to be serious about changing tires, buy a good unit.
A plus with the K&L is that ATY, and the proliferation of off-road ATB based Ute tires may be changed as well.
http://www.klsupply.com/WHEELEQUIPMENT/TIRECHANGERS/MC680TireChanger.aspx

Have fun!

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
I have checked out the professional-level machines, and have to say...they look nearly identical to a regular automotive rim-clamp tire machine. With that said...who has changed motorcycle tires with an automotive machine (other than darkside...which is what I already do)? How do they work? The shop already has a rim clamp tire machine there. If that will do MC tires, then the problem is solved!
Jim,
I've seen it done at the track, but can't find a photo.
I think they strap the grabber things on the machine so they don't actuate, but haven't been around the tire changing operation recently.

Steve

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I have changed many tires on an automotive rim clamp machine that's at a friend's shop. When I got my tiger with the 21 inch front it would no longer work, some will. Anyway I bought a used Coats 220 off of Craigslist. It was the standard of the motorcycle tire changer world before air operated became so popular. I bought mine for $300 and it's a great machine. Seen others on CL. Got lucky enough to buy a Coats 280 balancer off the same guy. Check out the 220. I also got the Nomar mount/dismount bar and find it not as good as the Coats one.

Top Bottom