IBA frustration!!!

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
So I'm gonna vent a bit...
Last June I accomplished a Saddlesore 1000 on a trip to upstate NY. Yay for me right. So I submit my paperwork on July 5th, 2012 with the knowledge that it'll take about 2 months to process. Flash forward to the end of October and still nothing. I shoot off an email explaining my story and I do get a same day response asking me to fill out some paperwork that I filled out originally. I go and scan all of my original documents and 2 days later I'm responding back. Now flash forward 2-1/2 more months to the middle of January 2013, still nothing. I shoot off another email explaining the circumstance and again I get a same day response this time apologizing for the delay and he will have someone look into it. Another 2 weeks go by with guess what, no response. I fire off another email asking if he's heard anything yet. Same day response stating the guy (Mike Kneebone), I'll start using names now, would get back with me directly if I had to re-re-submit. I ask for Mike's direct email/phone to try and eliminate the middle man. The answer was that Mike doesn't reply to his email due to the extremely large volume he receives. ARE YOU FOR REAL?

OK, let's jump ahead another 2 months. I still have not heard or received anything. Here I go again sending off another email to Ira Agins, the main contact that I've been emailing back and forth. I politely tell him that I'm bothered by the whole process and the organization. I mean really, should it take 9 months? The answer is no. I ask him to just return my check and that I hope it doesn't show up 9 months later. Guess what? I get another same day response that says he's sorry they haven't met my expectations or theirs and to have Mike promptly address the problem or provide a refund. I then get another same day response from Mike, the guy that doesn't respond to his emails. He's asking me if I'm Curtis somebody somebody and to get the trip receipts from Larry & Lucas and to send them to him. I'M NOT HIM!!! I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!! Please, for the love of God, let it end. I politely respond telling him I'm not that guy and who/where I am and I did my trip solo and have already sent in my receipts....twice. That was 3 days ago and I've about had it.

I sure hope all the ST Iron Butt completers have not had to go through this ridiculous process. Here's what I think will be the end result...some day. After all this, I'll either get my check back in the mail, or I should start getting emails saying that I'm short a receipt or it's blurry or I missed it by 1 mile. If anyone knows these cats at IBA, can you please help a brother out?

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
My SS1000 was handled very smoothly and I got all of the goodies. I met Mike Kneebone at the BMW MOA Rally in Redmond Oregon and he is a nice guy. I think the paperwork gets slowed down and fouled up because some of it is done by volunteers.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Skip, that's pretty poor! Sorry you have gotten the run around. I think your extremely poor experience is probably isolated but I also think I have read some rumblings on here about problems/delays. I remain happy to ride 1000 miles and put a feather in my own hat without the recognition of the IBA. After my first long trip I thought about submitting for the award until I found out the cost and hoops I needed to jump through.

I hope it gets resolved for you quickly. I suspect somebody that knows somebody that knows somebody will pass along a message to the proper contact and the fire will be lit.

Cunados

STexan 1300
Bike
2013 Yamaha XTZ1200
After my first long trip I thought about submitting for the award until I found out the cost and hoops I needed to jump through.
I too have never quite grasped what the attraction is ... I can only speculate.

MTGMTT

Bike
2006 ST1300
I think Alicia us right, I've also never had trouble with paperwork besides it taking a long time. Keep at it! Good luck!

And I'm sorry, but I don't think this is the place to judge a rider's desire to have a ride recognized by the IBA. Let's help him out, not put him down eh?
:plus1:

Some people ride half way across the country for a hamburger, some will ride across the country to look at the same kinds of trees on the same kinds of roads they have at home. We all have our reasons and types of riding we do.

I'm surprised at your problem with the IBA. From what I've seen since joining and talking with others, while delays can happen, they are rare. I only have 3 certified rides so far- one was an ordinary SS1K, and it was approved and I had my packet within a few weeks. Once was the Moonshine SS1K, where we got our packets immediately. The last was the memorial SS1K last fall, which took a while with lots of updates and apologies from them. The delay was due to a problem with the company supplying the patches. Have you gone onto the IBA forums to post there? You might get a faster, and more accurate response with it being made public. Although you have every right to be frustrated, I think if you post there and calmly point out what has happened so far, you might get a faster response. There is no excuse for it taking so long, and you should get the reward for what you worked so hard for.

Re: Cost of an IBA certificate. I agree they aren't cheap...and I have 3 packets of paperwork from last year waiting to be submitted because of the cost. Looking at the cost- $45- that is only a little more than what a full tank of premium gas is running right now. For that, we get someone checking our receipts for accuracy; entering all the stops into a mapping program to verify our mileage, calculating our fuel long to ensure accuracy and honesty; then typing up and printing out our certification. Notice each one is very personalized, with more than just our name getting entered in. Then there is the expense of printing out the certificate, the cost of the very nice pin and license plate backer. Yes, I'm sure there is money left over- and that goes to cover the costs of other IBA events.

STOC #
The IBA is pretty much a non-profit and almost volunteer based organization that exists as long as Mr. Kneebone is around. That's not a knock, just reality. It probably wouldn't exist otherwise. Any charges are strictly for the time someone spends to validate the paperwork to maintain the integrity of the recognition. Over the years, they have gotten overwhelmed with paperwork (I had one submission lost several years ago but I never paid for it anyway.)

With that said, they certainly should be more responsive when they charge for the validation. But the fact remains that it's not a business and it's a work of passion by a few dedicated individuals. Getting angry probably won't work in your favor here.

Cunados

STexan 1300
Bike
2013 Yamaha XTZ1200
And I'm sorry, but I don't think this is the place to judge a rider's desire to have a ride recognized by the IBA. Let's help him out, not put him down eh?
Right you are sir, like momma always said, if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. I stand corrected.

I got my SS 1000 afew years back no problems. I just think the IBA has lost it way in the last few years. I just don't feel the same about them as I did. Not for profit outfit....me thinks not. I don't need a license plate thingy proclaiming I can ride 1000 miles in a day.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
I have four certified rides, and like another poster stated, the only time I have ever experienced any type of delay was with the 2012 Memorial SS1K. Status updates were provided, which I appreciated. IMHO, the types of problems you mentioned are the exception, not the norm, with the IBA. For what it's worth, congratulations on your achievement. I hope this situation gets resolved sooner rather than later for you; something tells me your patience will be rewarded.

skidlid1300

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
Schwinn
:plus1:

Some people ride half way across the country for a hamburger, some will ride across the country to look at the same kinds of trees on the same kinds of roads they have at home. We all have our reasons and types of riding we do.

I'm surprised at your problem with the IBA. From what I've seen since joining and talking with others, while delays can happen, they are rare. I only have 3 certified rides so far- one was an ordinary SS1K, and it was approved and I had my packet within a few weeks. Once was the Moonshine SS1K, where we got our packets immediately. The last was the memorial SS1K last fall, which took a while with lots of updates and apologies from them. The delay was due to a problem with the company supplying the patches. Have you gone onto the IBA forums to post there? You might get a faster, and more accurate response with it being made public. Although you have every right to be frustrated, I think if you post there and calmly point out what has happened so far, you might get a faster response. There is no excuse for it taking so long, and you should get the reward for what you worked so hard for.

Re: Cost of an IBA certificate. I agree they aren't cheap...and I have 3 packets of paperwork from last year waiting to be submitted because of the cost. Looking at the cost- $45- that is only a little more than what a full tank of premium gas is running right now. For that, we get someone checking our receipts for accuracy; entering all the stops into a mapping program to verify our mileage, calculating our fuel long to ensure accuracy and honesty; then typing up and printing out our certification. Notice each one is very personalized, with more than just our name getting entered in. Then there is the expense of printing out the certificate, the cost of the very nice pin and license plate backer. Yes, I'm sure there is money left over- and that goes to cover the costs of other IBA events.
^^^ What he said... Hang in there... :sun1:

STOC #
Not for profit outfit....me thinks not.
The IBA is a labor of love for Kneebone and a dedicated few others. I can assure you the only "profit" made strictly covers their expenses involved, whether it's running a rally or having to validate paperwork. They do not live in mansions, own yachts and drive Porsches. If they truly were for profit, they would be charging much more than $45.

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I appreciate everybody's input and sympathy or opinion. I don't necessarily need all the swag that goes with it I just thought it would be kind of cool. If nothing else but conversation starter at a gas station or friends and family to possibly peak somebody's interest in getting into riding or even getting back into riding.
With all that being said, hopefully it will all be resolved soon.

Skip

Bike
2006 ST1300
Good luck. Like I said...you worked for it and earned it, you should get it. The delay isn't acceptable, but although it probably won't make you feel any better, the IBA in general is a very fine organization and these things are rare.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I just got back from the IBA Jacksonville party. At the banquet Michael Kneebone said that since last years banquet the IBA has grown by 6000 members worldwide. So, at a minimum there were 6000 Saddlesores to be processed last year. Add to that all the rides done by existing members you get an impressive amount of paperwork to be sorted through and processed by mostly volunteers. Most rides are submitted during the United States's riding season, April-October, this is when the wait time can be months. Anybody can say they have ridden 1000 miles or a million miles for that matter, but when somebody shows an IBA certification for a ride, then you know they really did it. I hope everything works out for you, I hate that your first impression of a great organization was a bad one.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I just got back from the IBA Jacksonville party. At the banquet Michael Kneebone said that since last years banquet the IBA has grown by 6000 members worldwide. So, at a minimum there were 6000 Saddlesores to be processed last year. Add to that all the rides done by existing members you get an impressive amount of paperwork to be sorted through and processed by mostly volunteers. Most rides are submitted during the United States's riding season, April-October, this is when the wait time can be months. Anybody can say they have ridden 1000 miles or a million miles for that matter, but when somebody shows an IBA certification for a ride, then you know they really did it. I hope everything works out for you, I hate that your first impression of a great organization was a bad one.
Very well said!

STOC #
Got my saddlesore ticket a few years ago. Had no problem. Really all I wanted is the license plate frame, looks cool. It sounds like the IBA has grown to where it could stand on its own as a business with paid help. 6,000 x $45 = $270,000. I don't know if it has been discussed by the group, but change it to $60, that's another 6,000 x 15 = $90,000. For sure you could hire people to process the certifications for $15/each and not rely totally on volunteers. I'm thankful Mike is doing the labor of love, hate to complain. Sounds like the business has grown to where it needs to evolve.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Got my saddlesore ticket a few years ago. Had no problem. Really all I wanted is the license plate frame, looks cool. It sounds like the IBA has grown to where it could stand on its own as a business with paid help. 6,000 x $45 = $270,000. I don't know if it has been discussed by the group, but change it to $60, that's another 6,000 x 15 = $90,000. For sure you could hire people to process the certifications for $15/each and not rely totally on volunteers. I'm thankful Mike is doing the labor of love, hate to complain. Sounds like the business has grown to where it needs to evolve.
This was addressed at the banquet as well. The flat rate for certifications will remain the same this year but may be increased next year. The 6000 new members were cited as one of the reasons the prices will remain the same this year. I know a lot of money the IBA brings in goes to protecting the brand.

Top Bottom