Speed Sensor Removal

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Has anyone removed the speed sensor switch?
Service manual 22-14 shows the switch right next to where the shifter linkage is.
I've never had to replace one before and was just wondering if there is going to be enough room to pull it out of the case without having to remove the shifter linkage and stuff?
Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.
Igofar

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
What...nobody has removed a speed sensor switch yet?

I just ordered speed sensor (speedo has been acting up for a while now) and will install it next week. Will let you know then...

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I did, but, I also changed the u-joint at the same time. From what I could see, it may have been my luck that I removed the swing arm, then trying to get a closed end wrench in there to loosen up the screws. I tried an open end wrench, but it started to round the head of the screw. The threads did have something like loc-tite.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I attempted to replace my Clutch line, but when I found it almost impossible (or just plain impossible) to get to at the rear of the engine (without removing the swing arm), I gave up. The clutch line is still holding up, but it will be replaced when I swap out engines.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Has anyone removed the speed sensor switch?
Service manual 22-14 shows the switch right next to where the shifter linkage is.
I've never had to replace one before and was just wondering if there is going to be enough room to pull it out of the case without having to remove the shifter linkage and stuff?
Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.
Igofar
Did your part come in?

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Should be here either tomorrow or friday. Just was planning ahead.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I suggest afalina and Igofar get together and accomplish this task as a team... being it they are practically neighbors.

I did mine and if I remember it wasn't that hard at all. I think I followed instructions from someone on this site. Only side panel removal was needed.

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
How It Was Done!
Removed side body pannel, removed smog canister, unplugged speed sensor switch, tied a small piece of string around the connector, placed bike on side stand, used 1/4 inch drive socket, removed two bolts, sensor lifted straight out. small amount of oil caught in pie pan, cleaned area, installed new o-ring and sensor switch,tied string on new switch connector and pulled string back upward to route switch, plugged it back in, replaced the two bolts tightened down snug. Put everything back together and would you believe it, I have a speedo again :rofl1:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Before this I have never heard of a failed unit on a ST1300. How many miles did this bike have at the time of failure?

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Before this I have never heard of a failed unit on a ST1300. How many miles did this bike have at the time of failure?
I hear ya, this is the first one I've ever heard of failing before also! I've got 41K on the bike.
I did have one incident a couple months ago, while doing a 400 mile run in the wee hours of the morning, My speedo bounced one time. It was doing 75mph, then just dropped to zero, then went back up to 75mph again. I just wrote it off as an electrical gremlin. I'm wondering now, if that was a sign that it was starting to fail.
I've put about 400 miles on the new sensor switch and everything seems fine now.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
How It Was Done!
Removed side body pannel, removed smog canister, unplugged speed sensor switch, tied a small piece of string around the connector, placed bike on side stand, used 1/4 inch drive socket, removed two bolts, sensor lifted straight out. small amount of oil caught in pie pan, cleaned area, installed new o-ring and sensor switch,tied string on new switch connector and pulled string back upward to route switch, plugged it back in, replaced the two bolts tightened down snug. Put everything back together and would you believe it, I have a speedo again :rofl1:
Very good Larry! :clap2:

Glad you got it resolved without too much of a headache! :woo

2003 ST here with ~30000 miles. The problem first manifested itself at about 22 000 miles with the speedo-needle not moving at all for the first 10 or 15 minutes of ride. After that period of time the speedo works without any hiccups. Once the engine is shut-off the speedo takes a break again. Finally decided to fix it. Received the part last week but have not yet gotten around to install it.

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
2003 ST here with ~30000 miles. The problem first manifested itself at about 22 000 miles with the speedo-needle not moving at all for the first 10 or 15 minutes of ride. After that period of time the speedo works without any hiccups. Once the engine is shut-off the speedo takes a break again. Finally decided to fix it. Received the part last week but have not yet gotten around to install it.
Ride down my way after work one night and I'll help ha put it in.

Bike
2003 ST1300
I just replaced the speed sensor on my 2003 ST1300. Access to the wiring connector was a small challenge. It is tucked in behind the evap canaster on the right side. I found that by unbolting the side engine guard I could get the evap canaster out of the way and access the wiring connector. The bolts that secure the sensor are 10MM Hex. Use a ? drive ratchet. A short 1 ? in extender may help. A box end wrench may may be handy. Tilt the bike over on the side stand. This allows you to get the center stand out of the way and gives better access. The sensor will pull right out after the bolts are removed. The manual does not mention the fact that when the sensor is pulled out about 6 ? 8 oz if oil is coming with it. So have some plastic down with some rages to absorb the oil. Before pulling the sensor and it?s 3 lead wire down tie a string to the connector end of the wire. Pull the string along with the wire so you can use it to pull the new sensor wires back up into position.

Top Bottom