ST1300 affordable/versatile Hitch?

Bike
2008 ST1300
I am purchasing a Bushtec trailer tomorrow. Their hitch is pretty expensive. Do any of you know of a less pricey hitch that I can use to pull the Bushtec, and be able to switch out the pin for a ball? I will primarily be pulling the Bushtec, but would like to be able to pull a flat bed with one or two pocket bikes on it. I haven't even seen a pin by itself so this may not even be feasible.

Anyway, hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
That pin is usually welded onto their hitch and is not replaceable per their email to me for asking about doing a similar thing with one of their hitches a few years ago.
They won't warranty the trailer if modified with a ball coupler and that would only degrade the pulling performance for their trailers if I remember the design rightly. The pin hitch serves to eliminate the slop that does exist in the ball/coupler arrangement. Although I would think you could mod their hitch to add a ball and end up with both. They have a real nice hitch frame that is very solid installed.

Oh, wait. You said something about "affordable" in your o.p. That is really hard to find with any hitch unless you make your own or find a used one. And home-made hitches don't have that pin. Good luck with finding a solution. I bit the bullet and spent 275 on a new Den-Ray ball type hitch for my trailer/camper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
taehapdo
Bike
2008 ST1300
I think I have found a hitch by Denray that I think will work. I need to check on the size of whole it has for the ball/pin. The trailer I purchased came with the pen and lock ready to be installed on a hitch. Pleasantly surprised.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have thoughts of designing an affordable hitch for the 1300 that will work universally with any trailer, whether single wheel or not. I'm not sure how much demand there would be, but I will be coming up with the design for myself, and can fab hitches on a case by case basis. I can also make adjustments for your needs. Anyone who has suggestions or requests can PM me and we can discuss it.

Obviously this won't be in time for your needs...I'm just mentioning it for those who might be considering one in the future.

Jim

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
can fab hitches on a case by case basis. I can also make adjustments for your needs. Anyone who has suggestions or requests can PM me and we can discuss it.

Obviously this won't be in time for your needs...I'm just mentioning it for those who might be considering one in the future.
Good idea Jim.. I'll probably be hitting you up somewhere in the future for one. If Dinkie ever sells his ST I might try and bu his off of it... but he doesn't seem to be in a selling mood lately (probably working too many hours).

Bike
2006 ST1300
Good idea Jim.. I'll probably be hitting you up somewhere in the future for one. If Dinkie ever sells his ST I might try and bu his off of it... but he doesn't seem to be in a selling mood lately (probably working too many hours).
Bring him to dealers...Triumph, BMW, etc...that might trigger a "buying mood", which would most likely lead to a "selling mood"... :D

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
The hitch that is on my 1300 is a 1.25 receiver style from a goldwing modified and installed by the PO. He wanted a place to carry a cooler to the beach so I also have a platform and cooler that works in the receiver. You can buy a variety of 1.25 receiver hitches and add the pin to one of them and a ball on another. I also like that when the hitch is not installed the receiver is not noticeable.

Jeff

Bike
Honda ST1300
@nhdiesel, how are your hitch fabrication plans coming? I'm hoping to get a hitch before end of May. Any pricing estimates?

I have thoughts of designing an affordable hitch for the 1300 that will work universally with any trailer, whether single wheel or not. I'm not sure how much demand there would be, but I will be coming up with the design for myself, and can fab hitches on a case by case basis. I can also make adjustments for your needs. Anyone who has suggestions or requests can PM me and we can discuss it.

Jim
Jim:

Just curious if the hitch idea ever came about? I'm looking for a hitch for my 2004 ST1300. I recently bought the Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long trailer to use for some road trips to see mu family and do some camping rides with friends. Thanks for an update!

Best regards,

Steve

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Bike
2006 ST1300
Jim:

Just curious if the hitch idea ever came about? I'm looking for a hitch for my 2004 ST1300. I recently bought the Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long trailer to use for some road trips to see mu family and do some camping rides with friends. Thanks for an update!

Best regards,

Steve
Well I got a divorce, relocated, and am living in an apartment...so no way to do any real fabricating now. Sorry.

Well I got a divorce, relocated, and am living in an apartment...so no way to do any real fabricating now. Sorry.
Jim:

Sorry to hear of your changes (maybe it was a good thing?). I wish you well either way. Just wanted to say thank you for getting back to me. Have a great week.

Steve

Bike
Honda ST1300
@sculver, I got my hitch off of ebay. Some guy just lists them one at a time so the selling price depends on how many bidders that day. Got mine for $83 plus shipping. Works great but has to come off when changing the rear tire, unless I lay the bike on its side. And the two front screws are too long. Other than that, I've had 5k miles of towing the HF tag-a-long w/o hitch related issues.

Top Bottom