VStrom Tank bag recommendations

luoma

VE6 CKV
STOC #
Hi guys. I've been doing some research on tank bags for my Wee. So far, I'm considering either the Wolfman Rainier or the Explorer Lite. Has anyone tried either of these on their V Strom? Also wondering about the magnetic bags vs the strap mount vs the QL models. One question I have is with the strap mount ones, is a person having to fish the front straps from "down under" everytime you undo them to fuel up? I don't really need anything to haul the kitchen sink in, just something to put maps, gloves, glasses in etc-- all the small things a person uses regularly. I may also try it on the ST, if it fits decently, but am mostly concerned about the Wee. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Bike
02 ST1100
I used the precursor to the Ranier, the Denali, on my 1K Strom and felt it was the perfect size. The angle was just about perfect for using the map pocket, the pockets on the sides were great for storing little odds and ends, the interior mesh pocket was perfect for storing a log book and other paperwork... Did I say I loved this bag?

I would warn against a magnetic bag after I had one blow off in a nasty crosswind as there isn't a lot of metal for the magnets to stick to if you go with a larger bag.

I liked the Denali so much it's still on my shelf in case I ever get a bike to put under it!

Bike
02 ST1100
I use a Cor-Tech Mini on my Hayabusa and short trips on my ST.
The magnets don't move at hyper-speeds, rock solid.
I have to ask: how do you get a magnetic tank bag fit on an ST? My "tank" is plastic... Is the tank metal on the 13's?

The smaller magnetic bags will fit with no issues on the Strom but in my experience something the size of the Rainier/Denali definitely need strapped down. Especially since you can pack more weight it them compared the bags like the Mini. Also the Strom has some plastic that encroaches on the tank so you have a smaller area of metal for the magnets to stick to.

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
Try the Moto centric...Smaller bag with lots of space...magnetic..fits perfect on my Wee...Bill

Bike
2012 ST1300A
I used the explorer lite last season. Good size on the Wee and mounts up easy. Used it on my west coast tour, the buckles and straps get old quick on tour.
Good bag but am looking for something 'quick detatch' for my ST.

OP
OP
luoma

luoma

VE6 CKV
STOC #
Thanks Waterboiler. I kind of figured they would get old rather fast, when fuelling up 3-4 times a day. I had the factory KLR bag on my KLR and it was nice to be able to fuel without having to move the bag, but it was still big enough for anything I wanted to put in it. Guess I'll keep looking.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
The Wee that I had came with a Famsa strap on tank bag with the side panniers. The side panniers were removable and provided good wind protection for winter riding. The tank bag is a comfortable size and you just unzip about 2/3 of it from the base to swivel it over the side to fill the fuel tank. This bag was so well sized and comfortable that I never took it off.

The side panniers were overkill packing space for me as I've learned to pack light. But, if you are going on an extended journey or you like to be extremely well equipped, these would be ideal to increase luggage volume.

MSGulfCoaST

SMTTT
Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
I have to ask: how do you get a magnetic tank bag fit on an ST? My "tank" is plastic... Is the tank metal on the 13's?
Rare earth magnets. Remove the cover and simply lay whatever magnetic mount bag you chose in the position desired, release a good-sized (1" diameter about) rare earth magnet underneath, cut out the foam at those spots, clean it, glue it on while leaving the tank bag sitting on top to hold the magnets in place and viola you have can use your magnetic tank bag on the ST. BTW - this idea wasn't mine as it's somewhere else on this site I think! I've been using the Cortech Mini tankbag on the ST1100 and the Wee for years now.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Looking for a tank bag for my 2013 vstrom, and thinking on the Givi ST603, I had a brainwave that if I fitted a tank lock ring to the fake tank on the ST1100 it would solve the tank bag problem and I could get rid of the bagster cover and tank bag. same bag would do both bikes too, saves moving stuff from one to the other.
It would be a lot easier than trying to stick rare earth magnets under it.just an idea.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Looking for a tank bag for my 2013 vstrom, and thinking on the Givi ST603, I had a brainwave that if I fitted a tank lock ring to the fake tank on the ST1100 it would solve the tank bag problem and I could get rid of the bagster cover and tank bag. same bag would do both bikes too, saves moving stuff from one to the other.
It would be a lot easier than trying to stick rare earth magnets under it.just an idea.
Brendan, I have a Marsee on my Wee. Magnets work good and easy to lift off for refueling.

BTW-hope to meet up with you in a week or so.

Attachments

Bike
Vstrom 650
Brendan, I have a Marsee on my Wee. Magnets work good and easy to lift off for refueling.

BTW-hope to meet up with you in a week or so.

That's a mean looking machine Gary,looking forward to meeting you soon, there are fantastic biking roads here in Donegal, it's a pity yourself and the mrs aren't touring by bike, I think my tanklock idea for the ST1100 will work, though it means permanently fitting the tanklock ring to the fake tank, I can't see myself ever selling her anyway so I might just try it, if I buy the 4 and 15 litre versions of the Givi tanklock bags it gives good options for both bikes.

Top Bottom