Gloves Gloves for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

STumpy

R.I.P. - 2013/05/05
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Has anyone ever suffered from carpal tunnel syndrome or related hand and wrist pain from riding long ? If so you may wish to look at this link

http://www.shocktek.com/index2.html

It was recommended by our Work Comp Carrier for some of our employees that work on one particular phase of manufacturing. I went to the site, and noticed they offer a large variety of these types of gloves, not only for industrial applications, but sports and long distant motorycling.

I am not familiar with this company or the technology behind it. if anyone has any input, it would be appreciated.

Don

Don,

Thanks for the post. I've had CPS for quite a few years now. My index and middle right fingers will often go numb riding. While I haven't tried Schock-Tek (or even heard about them), I will save this link and consider them for my next pair of gloves. If you ever give them a try yourself, please post your impression of their effectiveness.

Thanks again, Brian

OP
OP

STumpy

R.I.P. - 2013/05/05
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Bribak said:
Don,

Thanks for the post. I've had CPS for quite a few years now. My index and middle right fingers will often go numb riding. While I haven't tried Schock-Tek (or even heard about them), I will save this link and consider them for my next pair of gloves. If you ever give them a try yourself, please post your impression of their effectiveness.

Thanks again, Brian
Will do.

As I said earlier, our WC Carrier strongly recommended this company and its products. Of course their recommendation was for industrial gloves, but if it is good for one, it should be good for the other. WE will order some in, and see how they work, for the guys in the shop.

vintagemxr

Old Fahrt
Bike
V-Strom 1000
STOC #
I've been looking at these also:

http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/MotorcycleGlove.html

Similar concept. The Schock-Tek look like they might be made a little better. Hard to tell from pix. I sure wish stuff like these could be found in local stores
because I worry about sizing issues. Heck, I wish motorcycle shops would just carry full lines of bike gloves in all sizes instead of whatever the distributor had on sale last month!

:biker:

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi All: this is a pretty old thread but since I have returned to motorcycling, I have had significant numbness/tingling problems in my index and middle fingers. I think that at least some of it was due to the crummy gloves I bought just after I got my bike in Nov. 2015 but I guess, the years have marched on and my hands just aren't what they were 25 years ago.

Anyhow, since I live in Windsor, ON and the folks at Shock-Tek are just short trip across the bridge in suburban Detroit, I am going to give their products a try. I'll report back, but I would be keen to hear about anyone's experience with them or any other brand of gloves.

cheers,

Pete

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
No glove experience, but I have had CTS surgery on my right hand (last year), and this completely solved my numb finger problem. The only negative is the palm area is a little more sensitive so you don't want to go using your palm to apply an impact to anything.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Tried all sorts of gloves/pads/approaches and none of them were a good solution as I was losing sensation in both hands (from riding and a lot of other life experiences with a little bit of heredity tossed in). I had to have my wrists worked on (STT Resection - pretty 'interesting') and they did the carpal tunnel release while they were at it (what's another cut when you're already knocked out?). The thing you have to watch is if you are getting nerve damage, putting off the surgery is not a good think. I lost a lot of my 'sensitive' sense of touch with my hands that I did not get back after the corrective surgery. When I went head toward a curve and my hand would not pull in the front brake lever, it was time to do something! YEMV. ;-)

Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
I've picked up a pair of the full length cycle gloves and love them. It's really helping keep the feeling in my hands on all day rides. They take some getting used to, as they have a layer of foam in the palms to allow the recess for the nerve relief. A winner in my book. Size? I wear a large and their large was a bit snug, but have formed well to my hands.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
OK, so I have been using the Shock-Tek gloves for many months and thousands of km / miles.

In short, they are excellent:
- effective at combatting numbness;
- well-made;
- comfortable;
- NOT expensive.

I have several pairs ranging from their cool weather full leather style to the mesh hot weather model - and they are all really good. In my experience, the simple online glove sizing guide is effective and availability & delivery is fast and efficient.

I am totally satisfied and won't ride with anything else.

Pete

Last edited:
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I've been using these off & on the last couple years , they do help without doing the surgery yet , my whole left arm was hurting at night from the carpal tunnel pressure and some of the right also , not to mention on the MCs , pain & tingling then too.

https://www.mycarpaltunnel.com/the-carpal-solution.shtml

They make them for right or left hand but here's a tip , : you can use the ones you buy on either hand by buying a roll of the same kind of tape and reuse them indefinitely on either hand . You can also make a rubber version yourself and reuse over & over with the roll tape . Just copy the pattern you see in the picture on the back of the hand , you basically are gently pulling apart the palm of your hand to relieve the pressure off the nerves during when you sleep at night . Not to worry , it will not rip your hand apart !

( Roll tape is the " Curad Clear Tape 1" X 10 yds , latex -free )

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've found even my Cramp Buster helps with wrist pain as well as the hand cramping. Without it I am gripping the grip usually too tight but with it I relax my grip and let my whole forearm hold the throttle.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've found even my Cramp Buster helps with wrist pain as well as the hand cramping. Without it I am gripping the grip usually too tight but with it I relax my grip and let my whole forearm hold the throttle.
+1 I have CBs on both grips and it makes a huge difference for me to be able to relax my grip for more than few seconds. A throttle lock helps too.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I've been looking at these also:

http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/MotorcycleGlove.html

Similar concept. The Schock-Tek look like they might be made a little better. Hard to tell from pix. I sure wish stuff like these could be found in local stores
because I worry about sizing issues. Heck, I wish motorcycle shops would just carry full lines of bike gloves in all sizes instead of whatever the distributor had on sale last month!

:biker:
I just bought a pair of these Qui nerve protector gloves since it will be an on-going issue to protect those nerves anyway you can . Just arrived & they are actually big enough for my hands for a change @ XXL . They got here fast too.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Myself and a few friends tried the ShockTek gloves as per Maxpetes recommendation and we're all happy with them. It doesn't completely stopped the tingling, but helps.

Thanks Pete! :)

Top Bottom