Gloves Anything new in the world of waterproof gloves?

Bike
2007 ST1300
So I went back in the glove forum a few years and noticed that I'm not the only one to ask the eternal question.... Who makes a great summer weight (non-insulated) waterproof glove?

The consensus seems to be that there really isn't a perfect glove but trade offs are possible. Covers seem the way to go. Stich vulcan and Rain Off come up.

So, nothing new in the forum begs the question, has anything changed? Is there anything new in the wind? Has anyone solved the wet summer hands dilemma? Has the tech caught up with the problem?

After spending three days riding in the rain last year, I want something better. Any help?

Dennis

Bike
2012 ST1300A
I will second the Aerostich covers. Just bought a set for myself after cursing out many a pair of supposedly waterproof gloves.

Last edited:
Bike
03, 10 ST1300A
I second that. Blue waterproof ones for me too. 9 years if 5 day a week riding in the Florida monsoons and they are the only truly waterproof gloves for me.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Agreed. If being dry if the goal, nothing beats rubber over gloves

OP
OP
Rode Weary
Bike
2007 ST1300
I'm an electrician and use Arc flash rated over gloves which are only good for one year whether you use them or not. So, I have a pair of these laying around.
http://www.macronsafety.com/class-00-rubber-gloves Now these are made to go over leather gloves and are waterproof but they aren't pre-bent and they don't breath.

Maybe I'm asking too much. A light weight leather, goretex, with knuckle protection and good abrasion resistance..... Too much?

dennis

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Add me to the Triple Digit Rain covers from Aerostich. I've had enough waterproof gloves to know that there are no waterproof gloves. Only waterproof glove covers.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I have had a pair of the pinnacle xpg for years that have kept me dry in 500+ miles of rain. Here is a link

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Rainoffs worked better for me than the Aerostich (I do own both). I'm with you - I wish somebody could figure out a good set of gloves that were breathable and waterproof. I had an old set of FirstGear gloves that did really well for a couple of years, but then they finally started leaking at the tips.

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
When cold and wet I've used gloves made from wet suit material over my protective gloves. At better ice fishing stores near you.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I actually waterproofed my elkskin ropers with "Nikwax Glove Proof". I had a lot left over after I treated my heated leather gloves so I figured "why not"?
It actually worked pretty well. I can tell it works because of the one spot I missed!

Bike
2003 ST1300
Duluth Trading: Yellowknife gloves, about $60

Waterproof and breathable shell of flexible 92% nylon/8% spandex and supple goatskin
Reinforced with cowhide for tough wear
100% polyester insulation
Extended 4-3/4"L cuff that seals in heat
One-handed wrist cinch; Cyberian cord lock gauntlet closure
Imported
Think you've got cold winters? Then pay a visit to Yellowknife, Canada, where the average January temperature is a balmy -17?F. For working outdoors in those temps, you need our warmest-ever winter gloves. They're the perfect combination of extreme warmth and pro-grade durability. The supple shell combines flexible nylon fabric and supple goatskin that won't get stiff, even after it's been wet. Brawny cowhide reinforcements fend off abrasion. Inside, there's a lofty layer of insulation for maximum warming power. And that extra-long gauntlet cuffs keeps sleet from stinging your wrists.

Bike
sold dec 31 14
STOC #
I'm an electrician and use Arc flash rated over gloves which are only good for one year whether you use them or not. So, I have a pair of these laying around.
http://www.macronsafety.com/class-00-rubber-gloves Now these are made to go over leather gloves and are waterproof but they aren't pre-bent and they don't breath.

Maybe I'm asking too much. A light weight leather, goretex, with knuckle protection and good abrasion resistance..... Too much?

dennis
Dennis
First thing is the leather gloves go over the rubber gloves to protect the rubber gloves from damage The rubber gloves can last years but they must be insulation tested regularly and recertified as you say once a year or more often as the voltage class rises. the rubber gloves are insulators and the leather gloves are the protectors. They are not arc flash specific but do protect from flash because they are not going to melt into your skin like synthetic materials in an arc flash incident. They are dielectric to prevent electrocution and are rated in voltage class. Your 00 are low voltage gloves for work under 500 volts Sorry to contradict you but you are mistaken. 32 years as an electrician and 1/2 as an inspector. enforcement of glove testing and maintenance is part of my job for years. I don't know where you got the opposite understanding but perhaps you don't do much hot work or switching in high energy systems? or someone who does not know told you and you believed them? Just think about voltage protection especially at high voltage a hole in the rubber can kill you but a hole in the leather won't matter since it has no insulation rating. You don't put the rubber on the objects that can puncture it that is what the leather glove is for. to protect the insulator that protects you.

On topic I like my BMW summer rain gloves. nothing is as waterproof as rubber gloves and old dielectric gloves are heavy rubber but don't use theme for rain and electrical protection too.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Dennis
First thing is the leather gloves go over the rubber gloves to protect the rubber gloves from damage The rubber gloves can last years but they must be insulation tested regularly and recertified as you say once a year or more often as the voltage class rises. the rubber gloves are insulators and the leather gloves are the protectors. They are not arc flash specific but do protect from flash because they are not going to melt into your skin like synthetic materials in an arc flash incident. They are dielectric to prevent electrocution and are rated in voltage class. Your 00 are low voltage gloves for work under 500 volts Sorry to contradict you but you are mistaken. 32 years as an electrician and 1/2 as an inspector. enforcement of glove testing and maintenance is part of my job for years. I don't know where you got the opposite understanding but perhaps you don't do much hot work or switching in high energy systems? or someone who does not know told you and you believed them? Just think about voltage protection especially at high voltage a hole in the rubber can kill you but a hole in the leather won't matter since it has no insulation rating. You don't put the rubber on the objects that can puncture it that is what the leather glove is for. to protect the insulator that protects you.

On topic I like my BMW summer rain gloves. nothing is as waterproof as rubber gloves and old dielectric gloves are heavy rubber but don't use theme for rain and electrical protection too.
I think its the difference in laws, as well as leaving out some of the story. When I was being trained to work around high voltage equipment I got to learn some of this. The rubber gloves are limited by regulations and I haven't heard of any being allowed to be recertified here. As for the layers- we had to wear 3 layers- a first layer leather glove, then the rubber insulator, then a final protective layer. So yes, the rubber was protected. For using as rain gloves obviously the top layer is left out.

OP
OP
Rode Weary
Bike
2007 ST1300
Dennis
First thing is the leather gloves go over the rubber gloves to protect the rubber gloves from damage

Right! Brain fart. I switched jobs a year and a half ago and haven't had to suit up since. Don't have a set of gloves on this new one. Also, I knew about the having the gloves checked yearly but the cost savings wasn't that great. If I remember it was 50 % the cost of a new set with no guarantee of them passing.

Anyway, I ended up with a set of the 00 after they were replaced. Still in my trunk. :) Was thinking of solutions for the wet hands and they came to mind.

Thanks,

Dennis

Bike
2006 ST1300
When using the rubber gloves remember to seal the opening, either under your sleeve or tape it up. That is easy to forget until you are riding...then all the rain that runs down your sleeve fills the glove. I had to empty several cups of water from each of my gloves when I stopped and grabbed a pair of rubber gloves when we had to ride through record rain last year in Maine. The Tractor Supply gloves worked great...once I drained them and sealed them! LOL

Bike
2006 ST1300
If it's warm, my leather gloves just get wet. If it's colder, rubber gloves for me.
:plus1:

Right! Brain fart. I switched jobs a year and a half ago and haven't had to suit up since. Don't have a set of gloves on this new one.
Thinking back I think I got my layers wrong...I think it was a layer of cloth gloves on the bottom, then rubber, then leather on the outside. I do remember it was 3 layers...man, talk about bulky...and I already have very large hands! Glad I didn't do that job long!

Top Bottom