Gloves Anything new in the world of waterproof gloves?

OP
OP
Rode Weary
Bike
2007 ST1300
Like many of us, I have too many pairs of gloves already. I have winter leather and textile, both of which are waterproof. I have summer mesh and mesh and mesh. I have my favorite all around gloves made of leather and kangaroo and moose. ;-) But I don't have a glove that keeps my hand dry in an ongoing rain situation in the summer heat.

Three days of riding in the rain and I went through both pairs that I had brought along. My favorites got wet and stayed wet even when it quit raining so my hands never had a chance to dry. The mesh bled dye all over my hands. In the end I went bare handed. I don't like riding like that so I figure there has to be a better way. 95% of my riding is in the warmer months so I really don't want to wear winter weight gloves in August.

If over gloves are the only / best solution... OK. I was just hoping that someone made a gore tex leather summer weight glove that I could wear in 90 degree heat and driving rain.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Nah, one can never carry enough gloves along ;) I have 4 pairs and for the pillion I insist on at least 3 pairs... sunny and hot: lined leather gloves, for light, warm summer rain some textile/leather GoreTex with long cuffs and thin thermal insulation, for 'cooler days' a set of leather GoreTex gloves with coffs, and for 'several days of heavy downpour' I've some (probably like 10 year old) HeinGericke All Season winter gloves, Thinsulate and all that; sense of touch like wearing a space suit though, but they have long cuffs (~5 inches), covering nearly 1/2 of my forearm, so they fit nicely and tight underneath my jacket sleeves keeping the water out, my hands totally dry, warm and comfy. And I do threat my gloves (and all gear) regular with lots of care, NikWax offers excellent products for the leather as well as the textile parts of the glove outer shells. But bike gloves with really long cuffs are hard to find these days, and also the textile/GoreTex jackets currently offered mostly don't provide the expandable sleeves with elastic bands/inserts which would give proper and tight fit over the bad weather gloves... equipping my GF was really a chase from store to store to find something that a) fits her and b) does the job... had to special order her GoreTex jacket from Italy as the ones offered locally didn't provide the expandable/elastic sleeve ends...

DonMac

My backyard
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I carry 3 pair, a pair of perforated leather summer gloves, a pair of leather Goretex lined rain resistant gauntlet type Firstgear, and a pair of Fox foam lined textile gauntlet.

Bike
2015 FJR1300
I bought a pair of KLIM PowerXross gloves a few months ago. I rode 450 miles in very cold, very wet, weather and they kept me dry. First pair I've had that really worked.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I haven't read the whole thread but was at Tractor Supply the other day. They have "chemical gloves" that are thick rubber and the larger ones look like they would fit over most gloves.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use a pair of TM Dri-Mesh gloves and had the equivalent TM mesh gloves with liner. I find, though, that in hot weather I really don't care if my hands, or forearms, get wet so I also have a pair of TM mesh summer gloves that are much cooler and easier to get on/off.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
Agree with the good old fashioned rubber gloves route. There's another option. I don't mind my fingers getting wet - just hate them getting cold, so when I saw a pair of neoprene divers gloves at good old Canadian Tire for about $13 a few years ago, I gave them a try. They are comfy and warm (and Canadian rain ain't) even if my pinkies get wet, and not as bulky as a double pair.

Hoping for warm in Alberta, but waiting it out in St. George Utah until it does.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
Bcst1300 is 100% correct about the voltage rated gloves. Rubber liner, leather outer.

So, the question of a quality, motorcycle specific, summer weight, WATERPROOF glove is still unanswered? I am going to bite the bullet and order a set of Tourmaster Dri-Mesh gloves. I have not read one single positive review but I am willing to try anyway.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, HERE's a positive review on the TM Dri-Mesh gloves!
I have a pair. Replaced my previous TM Mesh/waterproof gloves with these summer of 2010. I like them a lot. I had a pair of Olympia waterproof gloves many years ago and the lining really irritated my skin, a reaction kind of thing. And also the lining clung to my skin when taking off, even when dry, making them difficult to use. Not so with the TM gloves. Obviously any glove that is mesh AND waterproof is not going to have the airflow like a pure mesh glove. Can't. Gotta have that waterproof lining that gets in the way of airflow to make them waterproof. But they do usually have a waterproof membrane that does let a little air through. The Dri-Mesh gloves do just that as well as any I've tried. I've worn them in torrential down pours and also for just sunny day riding during anything over 55 deg. Below that it gets a little chilly and I prefer my warmer TM gloves. The Dri-Mesh gloves slip on and off with no issues. Even when it's raining. I do make sure to pull each finger off a little before pulling the whole glove off when it's warm and I am sweating in them a bit. That's not a biggie for me since I have to do that with my pure mesh TM gloves that I also have (bought those last summer per my previous post above). What I didn't mention in my previous post is that I primarily use these while on my commute to work during warmer months when it rains. They do keep me and my work clothes (business casual) dry. So go ahead and try the TM Dri-Mesh gloves. Everyone is different and opinions abound for their preferred brands. I prefer TM gear and currently my entire outfit is from TM... including the helmet if you consider that HJC is from Helmet House which is in the same company. Of course the big question is do they keep the rain out. It's really not as easy to answer as some seem to think, or at least not so simple. Yes, these do keep the rain out. But keep in mind that during a rain storm the air is full of water vapor so your skin *can* get a little damp. Plus I've found that when I do get damp, it's usually due to the gloves fitting under the sleeve of my jacket and rain suit and there is a little syphoning of water there. No fault of the gloves but I minimize this by pulling my rain suit cuff farther over the gloves and tighten the strap on the cuff. There is enough of the glove that fits up the wrist to do this to good effect. It's not usually an issue though unless you are riding in heavy rain.

edit: my pure mesh TM gloves are actually the Cortech DX2. Very comfy gloves for warm/hot days. But not waterproof so I keep my Dri-Mesh gloves for that.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
I have a pair of these TM Dri-Mesh gloves. Don't bother, they leak and actually hold water once saturated. I purchased these thinking they would work as well (waterproof) as my TM boots.

Don

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
If it starts raining, I just turn on my grip heaters.

Top Bottom