Chairs: Pico vs Kermit vs Flex-Lite vs Packseat

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I just received my REI Flex-Lite camping chair and decided to do a review of the FOUR! chairs I now have - can you say obsessive compulsive?

This review will compare the following 4 Chairs:
1 - GCI Outdoor PICO Arm Chair ~ $100
- Capacity: 350 lbs
- Weight: 10 lbs
- Packed size: 21.1" x 13" x 4.3"

2 - Kermit Chair ~ $140
- Capacity: 350 lbs
- Weight: 5.3 lbs
- Packed size: 4" x 6" x 22"

3 - REI Flex-Lite Chair ~ $70
- Capacity: 250 lbs
- Weight: under 2 lbs
- Packed size: 4" x 14"

4 - GCI Outdoor Packseat ~ $20
- Capacity: 250 lbs
- Weight: under 2 lbs
- Packed size: 4" x 14"

Note: The prices above do not include shipping or any discounts or additional options available for these chairs.

Here's a pic of the 4 chairs in order from top-to-bottom - Pico/Kermit/Flex-Lite/Packseat:

Here are all the chairs outside of their bags:

Let's start by talking about pack size. The Pico is the one with the big disadvantage here being the
largest and heaviest of the chairs. Your only real options for packing this chair will be on your
passenger seat or luggage rack.

The Kermit offers some more flexibility here, you can even put it in your saddlebag but it's a tight fit.
Most folks are going to pack this on top of or with their camping gear.

Here is the Flex-Lite chair, as you can see, both it and the packseat offer endless packing options
and both are under 2 lbs so there is not much bulk or weight to deal with with these two chairs.

Here are the chairs setup, 1st the Pico and Kermit. As you can see, the Pico is taller than
the Kermit and so you don't need the leg extensions that many Kermit owners tend to buy to
get that extra height. The Pico is also a wider chair and the legs are such that they are
less likely to sink into soft soil. The other 3 chairs may have a tendency to sink a little if
the ground is less than firm.

Here is the Flex-Lite chair next to the Kermit.

And finally, the Packseat next to the Flex-Lite.

Some more comparing the 1st 3 chairs.

The Flex-Lite is relatively new so here are some pics of that offering. The bottom two pockets are
connected to the bottom poles 1st then the loop is used to pull the top pocket up and connect to
the top poles.

Conlusion

Comfort:

1 - Pico
2 - Kermit
3 - Flex-Lite
4 - Packseat

I don't think this was much of a surprise. The Pico is the tallest and widest option reviewed and for that
reason gets the comfort win. It's also more of an upright chair vs the Kermit which makes you sit back
at more of an angle. This is a personal preference so some may prefer the Kermit's angle and Kermit
also offer a wide-chair version and optional leg extensions.

The Flex-Lite is not as comfortable as the Pico or Kermit mainly because you are sitting in a 'pocket',
similar to a hammock, so it feels a little unstable at first but after sitting in it a while you adjust. It's
just not the stable feeling you get from the 1st two options given the way the frame holds the material.

The Packseat - well, it's more comfortable that you would thing actually but you aren't going to fall
asleep in it. LOL

Ease of Use (setup/break down):
1 - Packseat
2 - Pico
3 - Flex-Lite
4 - Kermit

The Packseat is simply a set of 3 short shock-corded poles so it is the easiest set up and repacking of the
bunch.

The Pico has no 'parts' to it, you simply move it around and lift up then spread the seat and back
and you have an almost full sized chair. It takes a few tries to get used to it but once you do it's
a very fast setup and repacking procedure.

The Flex-Lite is constructed of Cordura fabric, mesh and DAC poles and thick plastic hubs and while the
association to a tent setup may scare some, it's actually a pretty fast setup.

The Kermit, simply due to it's number of loose parts and more involved setup is last in this category. I
will say it's not complicated, it's just a tad slower of a setup due to the parts involved. Also, repacking
is not very fast as the fit in the bag is tight and it sometimes takes a few tries to get it right. Again,
not complicated or a deal-killer, just more involved than the rest in this group.

Winner?:

Well, it's a close race... LOL

Between the Kermit and the Flex-Lite with the Flex-Lite just edging out.

My personal preferences with regards to camping chairs are comfort and pack size. If you throw in cost
then the Flex-Lite wins.

The Kermit is compact enough to be packed with your other typical camping gear however it is
much heavier and expensive than the Flex-Lite.

The Flex-Lite is quite comfortable - more so than the Packseat for obvious reasons and very
close to the Kermit and Pico.

I think if you did not already have any chair the Flex-Lite would be a nice option. Light, easy to pack,
easy to setup and comfortable. If you have a Kermit then you probably love it and won't like the
Flex-Lite.

That's all I got... obviously, this is all just MY opinions and MY observations. I hope this information
is helpful in case you're looking for a chair and these are some you're considering.

Last edited:
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Does that mean that your kermit chair is avialable for me to purchase at a discount?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Does that mean that your kermit chair is avialable for me to purchase at a discount?
No sorry, ... Besides, it has "Mellow" on it... I don't think anyone would be fooled.. LOL

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
:bow1:

Joe, this is super helpful. I think sometime this year Karla and I will be picking up a pair of those Flex-Lite chairs. I wasn't sure at first, but this comparo certainly seals the deal. We currently have a pair of Coleman "stools" that are absolutely miserable, but better than sitting on soaking wet ground. Honestly, we don't even take them very often anymore unless we know it's going to be wet (like Moonshine). The Flex-Lite takes up barely any more space than the stools, and is lighter. The Kermit hasn't been an option for us due mostly to cost. We liked the look of the new Alite stuff, but also out of our price range.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up!
Yeah, I've taken the Packseat on many trips but will only use it if I can't find a big rock or tree stump to sit on.. LOL.. better than nothing, but just by a little.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
No sorry, ... Besides, it has "Mellow" on it... I don't think anyone would be fooled.. LOL
I didn't realize that, if you think people might mistake me for you I am not sure you could pay me to take it :p:

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I didn't realize that, if you think people might mistake me for you I am not sure you could pay me to take it :p:
LOL.. touche my friend. okay, that looks weird when it's typed.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I don't own a chair other than the Crazy Creek Thermarest seat, but you have to carry a Thermarest with it and I just got the Exped instead.

Great write-up for helping me decide on the REI chair. Thanks Joe!

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Wow, Joe, that's a great review. I bet people will sit down and take notice.

GBChief

Site Supporter
Bike
'07 ST
I took my new Flex-Lite to the Bunnell campground for Bike Week. Very easy to pack and comfortable. Each person will have to work out their own technique for getting out and standing up. The cost and size sealed the deal for me. I'm a satisfied customer.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Joe,
Thanks for the comparison. Very informative.
I agree all the way.
The PICO is big but very comfy for my big body.
Its easy to get in and out of.
It fits on my rear rack (Mine and the bike's) so for the time being
it is my travel partner. :06biker:
Cheers,
Haze

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I have a pack- lite but man it gives you a wedgie after a while when you sit on it. I really don't care for it much, but it will easily fit in a pannier. If I have to pack a seat on my mc seat, I just pack a Wally World nylon fold up chair in its bag. Probably not as light or trick as all the folding chairs tested, but they only cost $10, set up super easy and they are full size and comfortable to sit on.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Looks like the flex lite would be a good choice if I am going to ditch the trailer on the back of the Goldwing... thanks for the write-up, Joe.

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Good write up Joe!
Dana bought me a Kermit last year for BD. It is a little big and heavy (with extenders) when packed but nice to sit in.
I like the size and price of the Flex-Lite. 1/2 the price of Kermit without the extenders.
Thanks again,
Tim

Bike
03 1300
Excellent review. With my back issues I'm glad I saved up for the Kermit. Kinda low and complicated but I can sit in it a long time.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I wish you had a Blue Max Chair in that comparison.

Chris and I have them and like them a lot.
2 of them fit in to one side of a saddle bag without a problem.

Very comfortable to sit in too.

Ahhh... "production has been halted"... never mind...

But we *really* like them!
:D

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Well I stopped by REI with my 20% off coupon and my 9.90 membership certificate and bought one of the Flexlite chairs. It is not too difficult to get in and out of. It is really small and light. I also have a Blue Max chair that I like, but it is really heavy. You could put two of these chairs in the space of one Blue Max.

Thanks for the heads up Joe!

Dan

Cunados

STexan 1300
Bike
2013 Yamaha XTZ1200
A thorough write up indeed. It's interesting to see how the campaign chair has evolved over the years. For the woodworker/motorcyclist enthusiasts amongst us you might consider building a "Roorkhee Chair".

The Roorkhee Chair originated in the late 1800s and was used by British army officers as they campaigned across distant continents. Extremely compact and portable (state of the art ... for the time).

Here's a good starting point for those of you that are interested
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/exploring-the-roorkhee-chair

MTGMTT

Last edited:
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
A thorough write up indeed. It's interesting to see how the campaign chair has evolved over the years. For the woodworker/motorcyclist enthusiasts amongst us you might consider building a "Roorkhee Chair".

The Roorkhee Chair originated in the 1700s and was used by British army officers as they campaigned across distant continents. Extremely compact and portable (state of the art ... for the time).

Here's a good starting point for those of you that are interested
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/exploring-the-roorkhee-chair

MTGMTT
If you proceed with making one of these, could you let us know how it goes?

Top Bottom