Headlight foam surround ST1100

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Anybody refurbish/replace the foam around the headlight. It sure gets ratty on an older bike and tends to crumble away. What did you use?

Bike
1994 ST1100
I don't think that there's any on mine either but I'm getting some squeaks from the front - assuming plastics rubbing against each other. I was thinking of using self stick door seal foam. In my opinion that should be sufficient as an insulator.

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Yep, I was thinking maybe weatherstripping too. I suspect it keeps moisture and bug guts and stuff from getting around the headlight and into the fairing.

Karen, your dad showed me some of his bear carvings today! (or was that not a serious question?).

He says Hi.

Bike
1994 ST1100
I'll look at it next time I'm under the plastics in that area but it doesn't seem to be affecting anything except some bugs and some noise. I'm sure that it had some purpose thou.
Mark

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
It definitely has the purpose to seal airflow/rain/dirt/bugs out (spray & dirt entering could effect the electrical stuff/connectors in there) and prevents fairing parts from rubbing/squeaking on the glass. Had yet not seen the strip 'vanishing' on my STs, but if I'd replace it with industrial grade weather/foam-striping.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I am just seeing this foam breakdown problem. Anyone have an update on what works? I could not find a replacement item listed on the ST1100 parts schematics.

Ray

Byron

STOC #
I don't have an 1100 but if weather stripping foam will work for you make sure you get closed cell and NOT open cell foam. Open cell will hold water and closed cell will not let water in for better seal. Ace Hardware in my area carries several different sizes of both. Your local hardware store should carry the same stuff.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I don't have an 1100 but if weather stripping foam will work for you make sure you get closed cell and and open cell foam. Open cell will hold water and closed cell will not let water in for better seal. Ace Hardware in my area carries several different sizes of both. Your local hardware store should carry the same stuff.
Thanks, Byron - did you mean to say "and NOT open cell foam" ?

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
I used some foam from the hardware store once, but it was that wide one intended for under a truck bed cap, so you can find it at autoparts places as well. but later broke that, headlight housing :mad: now I tend to just clean it off and not worry about it.

Top Bottom