MCL Highway Pegs

Bike
ST-1300
STOC #
I put off buying the highway pegs due to the price. I think they are a bit high. I looked at other options, but deceided to go with MCL because they simply look the best. I tried resting my feet on the tip over covers to see if I thought I would like them and had about made up my mind to not buy them. Putting your feet on the covers is not very comfortable. However, I got my pegs this weekend and got them put on the bike and only had the opportunity to ride about 40 miles. Wow, what a difference. They are great. Beat my expectations hands down. Looking forward to a lengthy trip. If your on the fence like I have been for the past couple of years, you won't be disappointed. +1 all the way.

Steve

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
The MCL pegs are something I did not want and kept telling myself that getting my foot away from the brake and main pegs was a safety issue. That all changed when I got into day 4 and 5 of a 16 day trip from South Carolina to the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, and Monument Valley, Pikes Peak, and back. My right leg for some reason would get cramped and ache after 4-5 hours in the saddle. Never the left, but the right one hurt just below the knee. By the end of the day I was almost miserable. I got MCL on the phone and had them shipped to me while on the road. The US Postal Service failed me more than once, but I was able to get them on day 12 (ordered on day 4) before the longest days came on the trip home where 12 hours everyday was the norm. While I will never call the MCL peg position comfortable, they do give your legs/feet an entirely new place to rest and when used to give your legs a stretch - the pain in my right leg never happened. Seriously, the longest days of the trip were the best/easiest to cover because I had the MCL pegs mounted. They are permanent, I'll never take them off and still use them when I need that "10 minute" break of having my legs bent on the main pegs. The key is to move your feet up when you feel the circulation says it's time. By just using them for 10~15 minutes at the time, I was happy to ride as long as fuel would allow me to. These work when long distance is key. Gordon

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
...They are permanent, I'll never take them off and still use them when I need that "10 minute" break of having my legs bent on the main pegs. The key is to move your feet up when you feel the circulation says it's time. By just using them for 10~15 minutes at the time, I was happy to ride as long as fuel would allow me to. These work when long distance is key. Gordon

My MCL pegs didn't keep me from developing a DVT. No wonder my knees were giving me trouble when I was visiting with you in Torrey Utah!

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
Hey Jim, good to hear from you. I'll send you a PM.

We're still watching video from that trip! Lloyd has made 3 different DVDs from the GOPro video files and stills it captured. That Hwy 12 is one of the favorites because folks have a hard time believing they would simply cut the highway from the top of the mountain ridge. I'm ready to put the Russell Day Long, load the bags, and do it all over again.

Regards, Gordon

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
sglgoose;1607010... I tried resting my feet on the tip over covers to see if I thought I would like them and had about made up my mind to not buy them. Putting your feet on the covers is not very comfortable. ... Steve[/QUOTE said:
That is exactly the reason I've been postponing buying them. I also thought that Mick-O-Pegs might be more the kind of thing I was looking for, but they're also expensive.

So, thanks for the information... unfortunately, you've made my decision harder, but at least it will be better-informed.

Last edited:
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I didn't want to spend the money on the MCL pegs either. But, I knew they were the best looking option and eventually I broke down and purchased them. They are a nice change of pace for your legs and butt on a long ride. The key to long days in the saddle is being able to vary your position, even if its just an inch one way or another. The wings allow this flexibility. I agree that they are overpriced however, they are well made and look like they belong on the bike. The mic o pegs IIRC actually cost more and I personally don't see where extending your legs down would help your butt. I have never tried them so I could be missing something (not unusual). I like the MCL wings and would recommend them. Other than the price, they are a great option.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I didn't want to spend the money on the MCL pegs either. But, I knew they were the best looking option and eventually I broke down and purchased them. They are a nice change of pace for your legs and butt on a long ride. The key to long days in the saddle is being able to vary your position, even if its just an inch one way or another. The wings allow this flexibility. I agree that they are overpriced however, they are well made and look like they belong on the bike. The mic o pegs IIRC actually cost more and I personally don't see where extending your legs down would help your butt. I have never tried them so I could be missing something (not unusual). I like the MCL wings and would recommend them. Other than the price, they are a great option.
I'm pretty sure that the Mick-O-Pegs would work to some degree because, on long rides, I'll drop my legs off of the pegs to "open up" my knee and to transfer some of the weight from my butt to my thighs. I'm still using the stock saddle which offers very little thigh support. On the other hand, I'm not sure I really want a wider saddle because it would make leaning to the inside on the twisties more difficult.

The downside to merely dropping my legs and letting them hang loose is that I have to make sure to hold them high enough so my feet don't catch on the ground and this means using my thigh muscles which can also get uncomfortable after a while.

I don't think that there's a perfect solution... it's all a matter of compromise.

STOC #
The only issue I have with them is that i have the wind deflectors on my bike and my legs push hard against them when my feet are on the pegs. As such they are not as comfortable as they could be. :confused:

:slv13:

Bike
ST 1300
I have a question: I would love to put a pair of MCL on my ST but worry since I am 6'3" that they may not be comfortable. Any advice?

Bike
ST1300
I have a question: I would love to put a pair of MCL on my ST but worry since I am 6'3" that they may not be comfortable. Any advice?
They are not real comfortable, but as someone else mentioned, they allow you an alternative for your feet location which is nice on long rides. I am 6' with a 33 inch inseam. Issue I have on the bike is it is so wide I sometimes have trouble with my hips. Putting my feet on the MCL feels like it makes it wider and pushes my knees up towards my chest. But the change in sitting does help with longer rides. Lately though, I will just stretch my legs and rest them on top of the MCL pegs which for me is a lot more comfortable.

OP
OP
sglgoose
Bike
ST-1300
STOC #
I am 6'4" and I can't tell you how much I like them. I have put several hundred miles on since starting this thread and like them more each time I use them.

Steve

Bike
ST1300A
I'm 6'3" and I had the same concern, but decided to gamble anyway... I can now tell you that the MCL blades are GREAT! I'm long in the leg 34" - 35" inseam (depends on the pants) but these blades are fantastic regardless of leg length, I highly recommend them, and they really do only take about 10 minutes to install. Good luck.

Bike
05 ST1300
I just put a set on this year. Went on a 7500 mile trip. Across most of Canada the first half, I didn't use them at all cuz it was too cold; you put your feet up there and the wind whistles up your leg - brrr. But when it gets into the 80's, now that's a different story. That wind up the leg is a welcome change from the roast position behind the fairing.

I'll second everything that was said in the above posts - except for when it's cold.

Bike
2005 ST1300
+1 on the MCL blades. A good break for 10-15 minutes. They sit kind of high (I am 6'2") for a tall person but still provide good relief and air flow. Between these and my RDL seat life is good!:hotpepper

Another nice feature on the blades....I can hang my helmet from them when stopped for a few minutes.:D

Woodchuck

(Lyle)
Bike
2018 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I am 6'4" and I can't tell you how much I like them. I have put several hundred miles on since starting this thread and like them more each time I use them.

Steve
Hey guys I'm 5'4" and there a little bit of a stretch but for 10 minutes or so at a time is just enough to get the cramps out. Yes I agree they do look good.
Lyle

I have a new set I just got from mcl last week. Hope to get them installed soon. Rode 200 miles today and wished I had them on.

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Will have to look into these with a 34-35 inseam, these sound to me to be a needed option down the road. Especially since I had a nervous scrape with my lowered foot pegs and they may have to go.

Bike
ST1300
Where do you order these? I see it has been a while since anyone has posted. Is there a new forum somewhere else for this bike. I just bought a ST1300 finally and it is fun to ride but the heat coming out on my legs is sometimes not so nice and these MCL pegs might help.

Top Bottom