SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Went and picked it up today. When I was there to do the paperwork and finish paying for the bike, the guy that wanted to buy it (that I beat out) was in there also. I guess he had hoped to buy it today, but found out it was already purchased. (I left a $1,700 deposit earlier in the week, so there was no way from them to back out of that...well, maybe there was, but it wouldn't have been very pretty..;) They had the guy looking at a 1984 VF700 Sabre, that they wanted like $2,500 for! :eek:4:

Here is the write-up and there are some pictures to click on at the bottom:

2010 ST1300

Now that I have had time to really study this bike, there is no way it only has 5,000 miles, much less that 1,500 first advertised. I'm going to say I bet it has at least 25,000 on it, if not more. But, I think it was kept in good condition before it was crashed. (Anyone know of any ex-ST Owners from the Aliso Viejo area? I have the name, but I'm not posting it here.)

My assessment:

My 2007 Cop Instrument cluster works just fine. The ABS light will not go out, but other than that seems to work just fine. One thing that has me puzzled though. When I attached the cluster to my '04, it showed 37,717 for an odometer reading (the '04 had about 35,000+) at the time. So I figured the mileage is kept in the cluster. When I attached the cluster to the '10, it read 37,772??? What the heck? So at this point, I'm totally confused, because if the mileage is kept in the computer, that would mean my '04 is off as well and the true mileage for the '10 is much higher than thought. (even at 40K, these bikes have plenty of life left in them, but is disappointing it's not 5K or less...:(

One thought I have is that the Cop Instrument gives you the TRUE reading, where as, like our speedometers, being off, the odometers are off too? I guess I should attach it to my '05 and see what happens! :)

Lots of missing parts. I started a spreadsheet of the different sections that I'll be having to obtain parts for, to make it easier to track what I have bought and what I still need. I'm also including the Parts "Pictures" so I know what part number goes with each... trace-ability! :D

I'm pretty much missing the entire front and lower cowlings (and parts), including the windshield mechanism. I have the headlight, it is scratched up a little, but I also bought a aftermarket one off ebay I might use instead. It looks like I'll also replace the tank because it has several dents in it.

I've already started picking things up off ebay, mirror, rack, a few braces and stuff like that. I just need to be patient!

Me patient? :rofl1:

So if anyone has any parts they want to sell, ping me what they are and what you want for them (including shipping to 92563) and I'll let you know if I'm interested.

One thing I'm seeing on ebay, there are a lot of parts that some of these "Wreckers" want more than new for the parts! Really got to watch and compare prices!

It BEGINS! :bk13:

Last edited:
OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Okay, so the Speedo is what keeps the miles, not the bike's computer! I attached the speedo to my '05 and it came up with the same mileage shown when I had it plugged into the 2010.

This could change my attitude on what I do with the bike. I'm even thinking that the forks might have been changed out from the accident.

I tried calling the number on the invoice from a Honda Dealer, but the number is no longer in service! :eek:4:

So I'll try calling the Honda dealer tomorrow and see what they say! :pray1:

I just would like to know the miles! :-|

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I called the honda dealer in Huntington Beach, (very helpfull by the way!) according to their records, besides the bike being in for the crash evaluation, it was in sometime in 2011 for a new battery. At that time, it had only 1,300 miles on it. So maybe, 1,500 miles isn't that far off? Looking at the front end, I'm thinking it might have been replaced with a used frontend, and that's why the forks and wheel look more used than the rest of the bike.

Getting more interesting as we go! :D

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Latest development!

I pulled off one of the engine covers and it was really clean under there. (just not a place most people clean).

So I have decided to keep the 2010 and fix it up as my long distance bike, I'll be turning my 2004 into my commuter bike and sell my '05 to one of my sons for a "Family Price" and include my extra engine and parts I was collecting to do the rebuild at 200K. (Sorry larry, I won't be able to ship you that old engine!)

Now, I have to decide what to start on first, so I can get it rebuilt. I also have to decide on the color...Blue or keep it black! :think1:

Bike
2006 ST1300
I will be starting to rebuild my third 06 (Black) so I'm partial. I did make the mistake of custom painting a 1100 the red color of a GoldWing and shortly there after a deer took it out. I had to change back to a stock color (as you are doing) or go through the repaint process..... not a good idea.

Again MY VOTE is BLACK and it will not be a problem if you feel the need to sell, When you find that next good deal on a 2015 ST1800

Latest development!

I pulled off one of the engine covers and it was really clean under there. (just not a place most people clean).

So I have decided to keep the 2010 and fix it up as my long distance bike, I'll be turning my 2004 into my commuter bike and sell my '05 to one of my sons for a "Family Price" and include my extra engine and parts I was collecting to do the rebuild at 200K. (Sorry larry, I won't be able to ship you that old engine!)

Now, I have to decide what to start on first, so I can get it rebuilt. I also have to decide on the color...Blue or keep it black! :think1:

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I will be starting to rebuild my third 06 (Black) so I'm partial. I did make the mistake of custom painting a 1100 the red color of a GoldWing and shortly there after a deer took it out. I had to change back to a stock color (as you are doing) or go through the repaint process..... not a good idea.

Again MY VOTE is BLACK and it will not be a problem if you feel the need to sell, When you find that next good deal on a 2015 ST1800
If I was to go "Blue", it would be the 2004 Blue, like my 2004. The jury is still out and it might depend on what I find on ebay...if I find what I'm looking for... My real issue with "Painting" a bike a different color, what does it do to resale value...just in case I decided to sell it later?

I'm like George in a way, when you like something, you stick with it as long as possible and not change just because something new comes along.

I rode mid 80's V45/700s Sabres from 1987 to 2003, until I moved up to the V65 Sabre. I went to the ST1300 in 2005 from that, and really doubt, I'll be changing, as long as I have a commute to do.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just had an idea.... I'll swap the colors on the 04 and 10, that way I'll have a nice blue bike for my long rides and instead of an all black bike, I'll turn the 04 into a "Black" & "White" commuter bike. That way I'll have less problems on the road while commuting!

Hum...Flashing headlight with a black/white bike :policeST: ...yeah, I think people would get out of my way pretty good that way! :rofl1:

Just had an idea.... I'll swap the colors on the 04 and 10, that way I'll have a nice blue bike for my long rides and instead of an all black bike, I'll turn the 04 into a "Black" & "White" commuter bike. That way I'll have less problems on the road while commuting!

Hum...Flashing headlight with a black/white bike :policeST: ...yeah, I think people would get out of my way pretty good that way! :rofl1:

I've had 2 of those B & W..... A mixed crowd out there for sure. Most have respect for the B & W colors, BUT the few exceptions.... are over the top, to prove their point.... Be safe, get the blue and red lights too (I wish)...sl

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
SuperSabre ,

Yes you are correct , the odometer reading is stored on the odometer circuit, not the bikes brain box. Search the site, there a guy who does led conversions that can reset the odometer reading, you can reset it to what was ever on the title when you purchased. Unless you bought it as a salvage title, then it doesn't matter cause its branded. Since you didn't state if its a ABS model , and I take it the odometer you tested is, you can just remove the plcc2 LED . Non ABS models don't have it installed.
Also if you remove the faceplate, odometer and tach needles , you will need to energize the odometer cluster then seat the tach needle or it will be off. The tach calibrates upon power on. I found this out the hard way after changing my LED colors and LCD phase and colors .

Enjoy.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
SuperSabre ,

Yes you are correct , the odometer reading is stored on the odometer circuit, not the bikes brain box. Search the site, there a guy who does led conversions that can reset the odometer reading, you can reset it to what was ever on the title when you purchased. Unless you bought it as a salvage title, then it doesn't matter cause its branded. Since you didn't state if its a ABS model , and I take it the odometer you tested is, you can just remove the plcc2 LED . Non ABS models don't have it installed.
Also if you remove the faceplate, odometer and tach needles , you will need to energize the odometer cluster then seat the tach needle or it will be off. The tach calibrates upon power on. I found this out the hard way after changing my LED colors and LCD phase and colors .

Enjoy.
That's great info. And yes, it is a ABS model. And NOT a Salvage title :D And neither is the '04s a Salvage title....

Pretty good huh? Buying two wrecked bikes and neither are Salvage Titles! :hat3:

I'll have to checkout that resetting the Odometer. I think that would be a good thing to do, since mine says that 37,772 and the title will say 5,000 and actual is below 2K...:eek::

Since I'll probably put 6K on it the first year (like I did for the '04), I'll probably start it off at 2K.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
On Saturday, 4/27 - I grabbed a few of the "broken" parts I had laying around and put a front end on the 2010 bike.

I used the the following parts:

'04's bent upper cowl stay (Left ear was bent down and back, I "banged" it back into to shape. It will be replaced with a new one.
'04's broken dash panel
'05's broken upper windshield cover
Cop Speedo
2010's Headlight (scratched and one prong broken off.)
New leftside mirror, bought off ebay at a great price.
A worthless front cowl bought off ebay.

TempFrontEnd2.jpgTempFrontEnd3.jpgTempFrontEnd4.jpgTempFrontEnd5.jpg

Sunday 4/28 - I decided to change the oil and I needed to clean the fronk forks. Well to get to the forks, I had to take off all the temporary front parts that I had put on the night before. But that was fine since that was just to check a few things...making sure the headlight worked, the speedo working and to see if the cowl stay was worth using. It is not.

Monday - 4/29 - I just ordered 2004 upper cowl, cowl stay, instrument panel, and windshield cowl. :D

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just called Huntington Honda and found out that the 2010 was sold June 1, 2011! Which means that it still has a warranty on it until May 31, 2014!

When was the last time you bought a wrecked bike with a warranty on it? :rofl1:

Now, of course, because the owner took it into Honda and had them do a Damage estimate, that anything on that list, would not be covered. But that tells me that the engine and drivetrain should still be covered! :hat3:

:think1:

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just picked up a few parts:

Rightside pocket, with lid.
Leftside pocket, no lid.
Rightside crash bar.
Windshield cowl for the rubber parts and push clips.
Rear Fender
Fairing grill (not sure what side yet.)
Upper cowl wiring harness. (Need one of the turn signal connectors.)
Screws and bellie 5mm bolts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom